joining the black hawk band wagon

Hey guys thanks for the input always welcome.I could use some advice on weathering and dry brushing the black, I find it looks so flat, I really like the job Ray did on his, any help is always appreciated.

Lindsay

Is it possible to have sharper photos of the front and the back of the cockpit.

Oliver

Edited by Rotorman

Lindsay:

Welcome to Blackhawk central! My first helo was an MH-60l DAP. It was my first in depth attempt at scratch-building, and the 2 most helpful things I did in advancing my less-than-professional skill set were:

1) Looking to this forum for advice, information, and inspiration

2) buying an opti-visor.

Regardless of the method/device you choose, some means of magnifying the work you're doing will reveal in STARK detail any inaccuracies you may be making in-process. Taking a look back at work I had done pre opti-visor, I was astonished at how sloppy my work looked under magnification AND how much cleaner my work looked if I used magnification! If you are still musing about putting your work under magnification, I would heartily agree that it is worth the time, money, and effort! Keep up the great work in the meantime!

Best regards,

Marc

AKA: Newf36

This is about as good as I can get it, hope it clear enough.

IMG_0253_zps8c3l65cq.jpg

IMG_0259_zpsks9lphzj.jpg

IMG_0262_zpsohvaxp8p.jpg

IMG_0258_zpsqdin99vw.jpg

IMG_0257_zps3ik6c45d.jpg

Lindsay

Lindsay.

You could do a light drybrushing on the top of the ip to make the ribs detail pop out.

..your build your choice...

Looks good

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Oliver sorry I haven't posted in awhile had family things going on being summer and all. I gave your suggestion on dry brushing a try with a little white paint and a stiff bristle brush , I think it turned out to bad deffinately added some contrast I think ive done about all I can for the cockpit I am going to add so wiring and call the pit done.Here is a question to you or some other members that might know, did the pilots or co-pilots every carry their weapons (not sidearm) in the cockpit and if so where would they stow them? PS been following your build Oliver and im dying to see the finished product.

Again thanks for the interest and as always all suggestions and opinions most welcome

IMG_0351_zpsm7hw1nwx.jpg

IMG_0353_zps14bvgmpw.jpg

IMG_0354_zpss1uzkbnl.jpg

IMG_0356_zpsfkzoqtap.jpg

IMG_0358_zpss2r7nmox.jpg

...did the pilots or co-pilots every carry their weapons (not sidearm) in the cockpit and if so where would they stow them?

Yes, they either store them on the floor on the outsides of the seats or upright (barrel down) behind the seats along the b-pillars.

No on the gloss coat for the cockpit. Only the lenses on the instruments should be gloss, everything else is pretty much flat black.

For the figures, what time-frame are you depicting? Those figures are from the early to late '90s. Also, I thought you were doing a Helo Drab green UH-60L. If that is the case, standard UH-60s don't usually support spec ops guys as in the figure kit. They are usually supported by MH-60s.