1/2256 Mon Calamari MC-30 Frigate

While I was working at the fiber optics with the MC-80 it was time to do the same with the MC-30. It was a much more pleasant experience. The smaller LEDs fit right through the designed openings with the exception of the tail engine LED, which I had to cut and splice the leads to place. So again, some soldering in the near future. Luckily, that’s about all thats needed before getting this buttoned up. The other engine nozzles need to be drilled out and attached but they can wait until the hulls are joined. Heck, I might even get to priming this guy in the next couple of days.

mc30_imag5774.jpg

mc30_imag5775.jpg

mc30_imag5776.jpg

Holy Cow! That is some seriously tedious work! Bravo! I can't wait to do another sci-fi project. Sometimes I wish there was one of me to be building something from every subject series that I like. Nah..... I probably would get on my nervs!!! Haha. :woot.gif: Seriously, that is some excellent work. When I did sci-fi last, LIGHTSHEET was still in business and I used their product to work at lighting the old MPC MF! Now I guess they are defunct. I know who to go to for lighting questions!

A bit more of an update on this guy as well. Once it was closed up the drilled out nozzles were added and some putty was put in place. Turns out there was a lot of light bleed so I decided some white glue would close some of the holes and dampen the bleed a bit. I also put a few drops over the LEDs themselves to diffuse the light a bit more. Also, before priming, I decided to add a bunch more details all around the hull, things like antennas, piping, blisters, etc. A good dose of black primer did a pretty good job of managing the light leak but I still had to spot paint. Shaping up!!

mc30_imag5816.jpg

mc30_imag5817.jpg

mc30_imag5818.jpg

mc30_imag5822.jpg

mc30_imag5824.jpg

mc30_imag5825.jpg

mc30_imag5829.jpg

mc30_imag5845.jpg

mc30_imag5846.jpg

mc30_imag5847.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm going to try and finish my Millennium Falcon shelf queen that has been idle for 7 years awaiting a lighting solution.

While lots of the interior computer/cockpit lights would look good as fiber, I'm thinking that lights such as the front "headlights" would be better off as straight LEDs. Is mixing and matching LED and fiber no big deal?

I was going to pick up a combo packwith .25 up to 1mm fiber. Would I find all of those useful or should I focus on the smaller ones?

Thanks for your insights. You're definitely the lighting master.

Edited by nickdanger