F-84 Thunderjet - A Few More Questions

Hi Everyone,

I just joined the ARC Forums and have been reading with interest the responses to the question regarding the circular object at the back of the F-84G canopy. Thanks for posting the question for me Rich.

I have three additional questions/requests regarding the F-84G and F-84F:

1) I have seen the pilot's boarding ladder located on both sides of the F-84G Thunderjet. Normally, the pilot enters from one side of the aircraft or the other. It would appear that there is nothing to assist the pilot when entering the cockpit or connect the ladder to, so I guess that is why it is seen on both sides of the aircraft. Does anyone have any information to clarify or support this assumption?

2) Does anyone have any pictures showing the ammunition trays being loaded for the .50 cal wing guns. The trays for the guns were located in the fuselage above the engine over the wing guns. Any pictures or drawings for both the F-84F and G would be appreciated. The guns in the F wing were located closer to the fuselage than the guns in the G wing.

3) I understand the expended cases and links for the nose guns were collected in the nose and emptied when the aircraft was on the ground. Does anyone have any pictures or drawings showing this arrangement?

Thanks in advance guys. I hope it's okay to ask multiple questions in one post.

Ron

Hi Everyone,

I just joined the ARC Forums and have been reading with interest the responses to the question regarding the circular object at the back of the F-84G canopy. Thanks for posting the question for me Rich.

I have three additional questions/requests regarding the F-84G and F-84F:

1) I have seen the pilot's boarding ladder located on both sides of the F-84G Thunderjet. Normally, the pilot enters from one side of the aircraft or the other. It would appear that there is nothing to assist the pilot when entering the cockpit or connect the ladder to, so I guess that is why it is seen on both sides of the aircraft. Does anyone have any information to clarify or support this assumption?

2) Does anyone have any pictures showing the ammunition trays being loaded for the .50 cal wing guns. The trays for the guns were located in the fuselage above the engine over the wing guns. Any pictures or drawings for both the F-84F and G would be appreciated. The guns in the F wing were located closer to the fuselage than the guns in the G wing.

3) I understand the expended cases and links for the nose guns were collected in the nose and emptied when the aircraft was on the ground. Does anyone have any pictures or drawings showing this arrangement?

Thanks in advance guys. I hope it's okay to ask multiple questions in one post.

Ron

Hi Ron,

Welcome to ARC! :cheers:/>/>/>

I'll try to answer your questions in order.

1) Most of the photos I've seen of the F-84G with a crew ladder has it on the left side. I would say the main reason for this is that the canopy open/close controls are on the left side below the left cockpit rail. Here are links to a couple photos that show the canopy controls. They are 2 black buttons located about a foot below the canopy rail, in line with the forward edge of the canopy when open.

F-84E Canopy Controls (ahead of shoulder strap)

F-84G Canopy Controls, Between aft 4 and cockpit rail.

2) This is the only photo I can find that shows the ammunition door on the fuselage for the wing gun open.

F-84 Ammunition reloading

3) I believe you're correct but I don't have any technical information to help you.

Cheers,

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the great answers and pictures with regard to my questions. Your responses make complete sense and are well supported by the pictures. Sounds like you have spent a bit of time working on CF aircraft. Which ones did you work on?

The F-84 certainly is an interesting aircraft - with all its modifications and roles. I will have to try to see one at a Museum one of these days.

I live in Winnipeg and am following the Jets and their run for the playoffs. Big game on Saturday against Calgary. However, if the Flames could beat LA Thursday night, we would certainly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Ron

Hi Ron,

Welcome to ARC! :cheers:/>/>/>/>

I'll try to answer your questions in order.

1) Most of the photos I've seen of the F-84G with a crew ladder has it on the left side. I would say the main reason for this is that the canopy open/close controls are on the left side below the left cockpit rail. Here are links to a couple photos that show the canopy controls. They are 2 black buttons located about a foot below the canopy rail, in line with the forward edge of the canopy when open.

F-84E Canopy Controls (ahead of shoulder strap)

F-84G Canopy Controls, Between aft 4 and cockpit rail.

2) This is the only photo I can find that shows the ammunition door on the fuselage for the wing gun open.

F-84 Ammunition reloading

3) I believe you're correct but I don't have any technical information to help you.

Cheers,

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the great answers and pictures with regard to my questions. Your responses make complete sense and are well supported by the pictures. Sounds like you have spent a bit of time working on CF aircraft. Which ones did you work on?

The F-84 certainly is an interesting aircraft - with all its modifications and roles. I will have to try to see one at a Museum one of these days.

I live in Winnipeg and am following the Jets and their run for the playoffs. Big game on Saturday against Calgary. However, if the Flames could beat LA Thursday night, we would certainly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Ron

Hi Ron,

No problems with helping out on your questions. As for working on CF aircraft I spent 10 years working on the Herk and had some quality time on the Tutor and T-Bird as well. This was all while working at Northwest Industries Ltd. in Edmonton. I also have some hands on experience with the CF-104 although it was for museum aircraft.

Ask and thou shall receive... The Flames have a playoff spot by beating LA last night which also helped the Jets make the playoffs. :cheers:/>

Cheers,

John

Hi John,

Thanks for your response. Do you have any drawings showing the wing gun ammunition feed system and wing gun detail for the F-84G or F-84F? Also, any drawings for the F-84 nose gun installation?

435 Sqn are still flying Hercs in Winnipeg and it is great to see them in the air regularly. The Herc is an awesome aircraft. I saw an arctic configured USAF C-130 with the snow skids come in the other day. Nice to see.

It's great to see both the Jets and the Flames in the playoffs. Winnipeg is going crazy. I'm sure Calgary is as well.

Cheers,

Ron

Hello all!

Checked the Air Zoo manuals today and got two surprises.

Our armament manual is for the RF-84F (T.O. 1F-84®F-2-11).

Which points to the second surprise---that the RF-84F was armed: two .50s in each wing root outboard of the intakes.

Wonder if any unpublished "incidents" occurred where a MiG pilot got a real surprise too.

So, no tech pub to answer the feed question for the F and G.

For the RF, the boxes were beside the guns, inboard (must have been crowded!) feeding straight to the guns.

Interestingly, the inboard guns were mounted farther aft than the outboard guns.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the great information! I was not aware the RF-84F was armed. Definitely a surprise to me.

Any chance you might be able to scan and post a few drawings showing how the guns and feed system were set up in that modified wing?

The F-84, F-84F, RF-84F certainly is an interesting aircraft!!

Ron