Azerbaijan MiG-21 colours

Building a MiG-21 in Azerbaijani colours and going to use Linden Hill decals MiG-21SM Combat Veterans sheet, the 1:72 version.

Since I can't get Akan paint here in Australia, I'm struggling to find equivalents in humbrol or Model Master, I can get some revell or tamiya as well.

Any help appreciated.

Can't help you with colours other than Akan, but I sure am curious about your build!

I'm sure Hobbycolours.com like Fulcrum Pilot suggests will send them nice and tidy to Australia, and I have good experiences with www.hpns.eu as well. Can't say anything useful about shipping costs though.

I'm building the same one right now using a Fujimi MF with corrected spine, scoops, nosecone, horizontal stabs, ventral fin and some PE from a Flightpath set. Bought some Armory rocket pods too... Got to the point of adding exterior PE and touching up the camo

Really interesting subject, and especially hard to find resources. You have any other than the pictures on the instructions?

Not a very useful reply from me I guess..

Ryan, thank you for your interest in our products.

In our instructions we quote AKAN colors for two reasons. Firstly, we believe they are the most authentic Russian colors on the market (e.g. http:/www.facebook.com/lindenhillimports.com). Secondly, and following on from the first reason, we are the exclusive North American distributors for AKAN paints. Any colors we quote in our instructions we normally have in stock and ship worldwide within a day (excludes acrylic lacquers, which are considered hazmat internationally). Ryan's question was whether there were alternates to the AKAN color call-outs. We could ship him the quoted AKAN colors tomorrow.

As to the original question, it's very difficult to answer it. Azerbaijan acquired about 16 MiG-21SMs from former Soviet Ukrainian-based pilot schools in the early 1990s. They all carried the standard VVS tactical camo scheme of the day, were used extensively in the War with Armenia over the disputed Karabakh region, and were parked in the open at Kyurdamir, thus being subject to weathering conditions prevalent in the South Caucasus. You can find alternative mixes using non-AKAN colors. However our paints generally don't require mixing.

I'd suggest to Ryan that he consult the IPMS Stockholm pages, who give good approximates for a number of VVS colors.

HTH

http://www.lindenhillimports.com/akan.htm

http://www.lindenhillimports.com/lindenhilldecals.htm

Edited by Linden Hill

Can't help you with colours other than Akan, but I sure am curious about your build!

I'm sure Hobbycolours.com like Fulcrum Pilot suggests will send them nice and tidy to Australia, and I have good experiences with www.hpns.eu as well. Can't say anything useful about shipping costs though.

I'm building the same one right now using a Fujimi MF with corrected spine, scoops, nosecone, horizontal stabs, ventral fin and some PE from a Flightpath set. Bought some Armory rocket pods too... Got to the point of adding exterior PE and touching up the camo

Really interesting subject, and especially hard to find resources. You have any other than the pictures on the instructions?

Not a very useful reply from me I guess..

Interesting to see how yours turns out.

All I have photo wise is what comes with the decals.

And my reason for saying I can't get akan paint here in Australia is I was under the impression that in this day and age, things like paint had to be sent a certain way and was horrendously expensive, so only shops etc could buy enough to make it worthwhile.

Sorry for the delay...

Just shot some fast pictures under the desklight.. Just to show you where I am at...

DSC03438_zpsu9dpycrg.jpg

DSC03439_zpsvshq9xi2.jpg

DSC03440_zpsbearp5jm.jpg

And together with the other three in progress...

DSC03441_zpsosznfypm.jpg

Still a long wat to go, but they are getting there for sure...

I'm curious about yours!

About the Akan paint, it's really good stuff, and yes it costs money to get it at your desk (Let's say about 20 of your Australian Dollars for 1 kg of package), but I think they are really great paints in use and in color... And if you order a bunch at the same time... I don't think they need to be sent a certain way other than normal post because it is acryllic paint...

That is good stuff...

What kit are you building? Mine are the Fujimi ones. I know they have issues, but they build really nice and have good detail...

I use them as a pilot for my R.V. stash... they really look good, but might be a bit more tricky to build. I guess I'll find out in a while...

Edited by Milt79