MD-11 Engines in VARIG images

Hi ppl. Next in line is a 1/144 MD-11, which I intend to do in Varig colors, specifically the last color schemes. Anyway, the kit has options for GE and P&W engines, wondering which is the correct one?? Here's some pics of the intended livery, wondering if anyone can spot the engines from them

Thank you in advance

http://m.airliners.net/photo/detail/id/2010897

http://m.airliners.net/photo/detail/id/2154879

Take Care

VARIG uses GE engines. I believe there may be some GE engines with different exhausts though (short and long). I think both are correct for VARIG.

HTH

Regards,

Don.

After I posted I found this:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/tech_ops/read.main/52098/

Interesting that the AC in the link above has a short AND a long exhaust. Though probably not normal (as a poster suggests in the link), still would be interesting to model an MD-11 in such a configuration.

Again, HTH.

Don.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/tech_ops/read.main/52098/

Interesting that the AC in the link above has a short AND a long exhaust. Though probably not normal (as a poster suggests in the link), still would be interesting to model an MD-11 in such a configuration.

Again, HTH.

Don.

Actually, yes it does. A LOT!!! Thank you!!! Now, not that I want to abuse your knowledge, but what are the external differences between the MD-11's GE and the DC-10-30's??

Thanks again!!

Take Care

Boy, depending on your scale, the external differences would be minimal (humble opinion of course). I know the DC10-30 used the GE CF6-50 and the MD-11 GE powered aircraft used the CF6-80C2. The fan was bigger on the MD-11 GE engines by 7 or so inches. Noticeable the larger the scale obviously. But in the smaller airliner scales the external differences are probably minimal. Sorry, I am not much help here.

Regards,

Don

Boy, depending on your scale, the external differences would be minimal (humble opinion of course). I know the DC10-30 used the GE CF6-50 and the MD-11 GE powered aircraft used the CF6-80C2. The fan was bigger on the MD-11 GE engines by 7 or so inches. Noticeable the larger the scale obviously. But in the smaller airliner scales the external differences are probably minimal. Sorry, I am not much help here.

Regards,

Don

The kit in question is Welch's 1/144. I also have a DC-10-30 Resin engines by Contrails, thought I MIGHT be able to put 'em here, but sounds like I'd run into some trouble. I guess I better save those for another DC-10!! Thanks again for the input. BTW, how can you spot the differences between them? Is it the exhausts?? Shape of the Cowling??

Thanks Again

Take Care

http://www.airliners...ead.main/52098/

Again, HTH.

Don.

Looks like in a later life PP-VQJ, now N572FE with FedEx still has long and short exhaust cones

I wish I could get in touch with some of the guys I knew that flew the 11. I've never seen an aircraft with two such different looking engines. It's late and my eyes are tired and in the first Varig picture I don't see any tail cones on any of the engines and the center gear is up, yeah you can leave it up but it was rather rare to do it, in the 10 if it was up it cost you a fair amount of weight (no, I am not even sure where my 10 books are) and the wing engine cowlings (fan shrouds) look a bit different to me. Interesting to see the slats out. Only saw them out once on the ground and it was dark. In the 10 if you really worked at it you could just about see the wingtip (and light) and that was all the wing you could see from the flight deck. I spent about 5 years on the 10-30. Just don't seem right for the engines and tail cones to look different on the same aircraft. I think we sat 22 feet in front of the nose gear which made 90 degree or so turns on somewhat narrow taxiways interesting (had to be almost even with the far edge of the taxi way you were turning to and then turn and if you did everything just right the outer main gear would make a 148 foot radius 180 degree turn (and most big runways we used were 150 or so feet wide...so if one was good and got the outer tires of the main gear on the edge of the concrete you could turn the old girl with two feet to spare!

Edited by sanmigmike