Famous modeling quotes

Actually, can anyone remember something similar to this from about 10-15 years ago. I think it was called the modellers prayer or something like that.

Or Desiderata for modellers. It was one long post that had a lot of this kind of sayings and some other gems (P-38 kits: Where else do you get to fill/sand/prime/repeat 3 fuselages for the price of one?).

I'm sure I read it here way back then. I know I printed it off but i lost it before I got it laminated. (I planned to put it up in my workshop.)

Anyone remember it?

Actually, can anyone remember something similar to this from about 10-15 years ago. I think it was called the modellers prayer or something like that.

Or Desiderata for modellers. It was one long post that had a lot of this kind of sayings and some other gems (P-38 kits: Where else do you get to fill/sand/prime/repeat 3 fuselages for the price of one?).

I'm sure I read it here way back then. I know I printed it off but i lost it before I got it laminated. (I planned to put it up in my workshop.)

Anyone remember it?

"We sized our panel lines so that they will look just fine under a coat of primer + 2 coats of paint + decals & a big fat thick clear coat".

Basically what Dragon wrote on the box lid of their "state of the art" 1/32 P-51D kit released a few years ago. Great sense of humour if you ask me.

Edited by PMG Offramp

"I've got nothing to build..."

The obvious parallel to "I've got nothing to wear." just made me fully appreciate the many parallels between a clothes closet and a model stash...

My pet hate - "What we need is a kit of the...".

No, it's not what we need, it's what you want.

In a thread announcing a new kit:

"Can't wait for this kit to be released! Now, could you consider doing a <insert name of another aircraft>? X-number produced, operated by y-number of countries and hundreds of marking options!"

This. So much.

I always have the mental image of a kid stomping his feet in front of their clueless parents on Christmas morning while screaming "It's not this one!" whenever I read something like that.

"And still no two-seater F-16 from Tamiya"

"Trumpeter really screwed the pooch there"

And who can forget this list:

"GREAT WALL HOBBY 1/48 F-15B/D (update 03).

Wrapping up all these hundreds and hundreds of posts. So far we know that some parts have been revised but the problem is that we have no way to tell the old from the new release when buying this kit.

In any case, the revised parts are addressing only some of the many issues of this kit. To know more about this kit and its problems, check the following review:

http://www.aeroscale...d=217038&page=1

And the following in progress build:

http://www.zone-five...ead.php?t=25951

ECM Cones:

The ECM cone needed for an USAF F-15D is missing.

Top Fuselage JSF Chimmey:

The top fuselage JSF chimney is too long and narrow (revised)

Decals:

USAF crew names misspelled.

Missile Launchers:

LAU-128 missile launchers not included.

Cockpit:

Side consoles way too low and, as a result, dashboards too long.

Under Fuselage:

Both drain pipes are missing, which is correct only for a F-15E but not for an early Eagle.

Surface Detail:

Heavy engraved panel lines and plenty of rivets, but rivets are invisible on the real plane and most of panel lines are barely visible.

Exhaust Nozzles:

Plastic actuators are way too thick, plastic petals are too long. Feathered nozzles not included. As a result, building an early Eagle out of the box is not possible.

Engine Humps:

Too much pronounced, bulging laterally too much (revised).

Horizontal Stabilizers:

Heavy reinforcement strips but there are none of such strips on the F-15B/Ds.

Tips of the Rear Booms:

Too long.

Trailing Edges:

Wings, tails, and stabilizers trailing edges are very thick - way over scaled.

Wing Mobile Surfaces:

Both flaps and ailerons are separate parts but their fit is very poor.

Air Intakes:

Curved air intakes lips but they should be straight.

Wheels:

Early and late kind of wheels but both are wrong bulged so they are useless (revised).

Canopy Fairing:

Wrong shape: The canopy fairing slope is too shallow (revised).

Canopy:

Wrong shape: Rear half too long and not enough bulged (revised).

Windshield:

Not bulged and somewhat smaller than it should be (revised).

Seats:

Two kinds of seat are included but both useless because too much tall.

Pilots:

No pilots included (pilots are included in the Hasegawa, Monogram, Tamiya Eagles).

Intake trunks:

Trunks are too long and ridiculously narrow in the middle.

Radome:

Way too fat at the tip (revised).

Forward Fuselage:

Forward fuselage sides are just straight, not shaped as according to the area rule (Coke bottle).

Airbrake Fairing:

Only the late kind of airbrake fairing and that is wrong for an F-15B.

Airbrake Fuselage Underside:

The airbrake underside is recessed but that not the case on the real thing.

Engines:

Both engines included but they look generic, very different from the real ones.

Engine Fans and Inlets:

Both kind included but fan bladed count is wrong: 14 instead of 21; and 20 instead of 38.

Antennas:

Antennas are typical of a late MSIP Eagle, not of an early F-15B/D.

Weapons:

Weapons loads are wrong for any of the two USAF decals options.

Price

1) North America (Squadron.com – Spruebrothers.com):

Great Wall Hobbies F-15B/D 1/48: $110.99 - Great Wall Hobbies F-15B/D 1/48: $92.99

Tamiya F-15C 1/32: $164.00 – Tamiya F-15C 1/32: $131.49

Hasegawa F-15E 1/48: $76.46 – Hasegawa F-15DJ 1/48: $58.49

GWH Eagle is about the 60% more expensive of comparable Hasegawa Eagles and about 40% cheaper of the much bigger Tamiya 1/32 kit.

2) Asia (Luckymodel.com – Hobby Search):

Great Wall Hobbies F-15B/D 1/48: $59.99 – Great Wall Hobbies F-15B/D 1/48: $72.39

Tamiya F-15C 1/32: $80.00 – Tamiya F-15C 1/32: $86.51

Hasegawa F-15DJ 1/48: $41.81 – Hasegawa F-15DJ 1/48: $45.90

GWH Eagle is again 60% more expensive than of comparable Hasegawa Eagles and just 25% cheaper than the Tamiya 1/32 Eagle.

3) Europe (Hannants.co.uk – Modelhobbies.co.uk)

Great Wall Hobbies F-15B/D 1/48: $98.68 – Not avallabile.

Tamiya F-15J 1/32: $189.23 – Tamiya F-15J 1/32: $170.27

Hasegawa F-15DJ 1/48: $92.13 – Hasegawa F-15E 1/48: $90.70

GWH is just a bit more expensive than comparable Hasegawa Eagles and about 50% cheaper than the Tamiya 1/32 Eagle."

Edited by gb_madcat_sl

Not modeling related but one I thought might get a chuckle for some of you. A German gal I knew when I was stationed over there told me that it was okay to look at other women. She said "You can get your appetite out as long as you eat at home."

Smoke ring decals? It'll be the death of our hobby!

I wish Tamiya had produced X kit instead of ......(Trumpeter, Kitty Hawk, Hobby Boss).

They want how much for that on eBay?!