THE Revell F-4G build thread

I will jump in on this one, With SHG decals, and a master Pitot tube. My skills just do not quite justify a lot of AM yet. It would be a shame to mess up that beautiful GT resin.

I will get the airbrush out tonight and get started.

Is there an aftermarket corrected canopy out there that I don't know about?

I've prodded Sierra Hotel to include one in their update set, but are there any others to cure the ugly flattened Revell interpretation?

I can not recall where the thread was, but someone posted a thread where they used the Tamiya clear parts, and a resin copy of the forward fuselage which was under the canopies. I would put a link here but I can not recall where I saw it.

A 1 piece vacuform canopy would be nice. I hate trying to line up phantom canopy parts.

Is there an aftermarket corrected canopy out there that I don't know about?

I've prodded Sierra Hotel to include one in their update set, but are there any others to cure the ugly flattened Revell interpretation?

You can order sprues from Tamiya, it looks like the best way to do it is to call Tamiya USA

There are also people on ebay who part out kits, I do not see any now, but many times you see lots of listings for sprues from tamiya phantoms. When Isearched today for "tamiya F-4 1/32" I got mostly corsair parts, but that is another option.

I have have never owned a Tamiya F-4 so I do not have any idea what mods would be needed.

Really thinking of getting one of these kits,if i can find one at the right price.

I dunno if RM will release it to us in UK/Europe or if we'll have to wait for a Revell Germany boxing down the line.

I've seen a handful on Ebay UK that have been imported but they want Tamiya money for a Revell kit.

£85.00....thats around $127.00USD.....Shipping not included......YGBSM !!! :bandhead2:/>

Edited by mungo1974

£85.00....thats around $127.00USD.....Shipping not included......YGBSM !!! :bandhead2:

That does seem rather steep! I loved the YGBSM since it's the markings on the splitter vane I wanted so badly for my 1/48th F-4G in Hill Grey. I got them too! :woot.gif:

Edited by taggor

Falcon20driver,

While I don't build 1/32 scale aircraft, I'll be following along the see how you guys are doing. One day maybe Academy will do a G in 1/48 scale so I can use the best ideas from here.

Joel

Joel, we'll be glad to have you along. This is my first ever big scale bird and I'm very excited. It is also my first Phantom so it'll really be a neat build for me.

I'm all done with my previous build, so it is time to fully turn my attention to the Phantom. I've started some painting on the ejection seats (it'll take awhile to get them fully done up).

20150420_162820_zpsup8cory8.jpg

Then I started work on the fuselage. I installed the glass sight cover on the tail and painted in the gauge that is behind the panel. I used the info from Chuck's amazing build for what is behind the glass.

20150420_182933_zps40icmatl.jpg

Then I joined the two fuselage halves.

20150420_183031_zps5qptpqgh.jpg

That is how it sits for now. I'll be focusing on cockpit painting and cleaning the fuselage seams now. So it begins!

Need to checkout the Magister blog as it's a great build. Nice start to the cockpit. Those seats look great. Just don't get spoiled with 1/32 scale, or you'll be needing a extension to the house before you know it.

My build schedule is two props, then one jet. The next prop is the 1/48 scale P-47D-25 Bubble top Jug. Then it's my 2nd 'Toon: Academy's 1/48 scale F-4C.

Joel

I was getting a little stir crazy inside because of the rain, so during a break in the weather I went into the garage and started work on the display base for this big bird. I initially had a different idea, but laying in bed last night I had an a ha moment. I'm happy so far with it. There still a lot to be done but you can see the basic idea I'm going with. Those are gonna be dice btw. I still need to figure out the lettering and paint the dice up properly. Then it'll be a good coat of resin and the base is done. If you know me, you know I love some display base!

tmp_13408-20150422_112656-1447167282_zpsdeilmhpr.jpg

I also got some work done on the plane. I added the top of the tail and kept working cleaning seams. I was painting the seats when worked interrupted my peaceful day. So, back to the grind for now and I'll be bqck to work on this big fella in a week and a half.

Edited by falcon20driver

Finally I have made the time to put paint to plastic!

not much to document here, but I have started by painting the cockpit parts gray

IMGP7291-vi.jpg

I could not be bothered to read the instructions so I did paint all the side panels and instrument panels on the sprues

IMGP7295-vi.jpg

and the inside of the fuselage

IMGP7296-vi.jpg

next up is the seats, and other black parts of the cockpit, then the always fun part of painting all the white parts of the under carriage. :wacko:

I am proceeding with the cockpit. This is the stage I find the hardest, and least fun, picking out the black panels in the cockpit

IMGP7302-vi.jpg

I did all four and my eyes are tired.. I did use a magnifying glass which made this much easier.

Next up ... instrument panels :explode:

I am toying with the idea of jumping in here if my local Hobby Lobby has one in stock (my 40% off coupon expires today so I will be making a trip over after my Sons baseball game). I build pretty much OOB and was wondering how the decals are in this kit? I like the markings on the box top so if they are decent I wouldn't need to source out an AM scheme.

Regards,

Don...who is hoping the modeling gods have left one of these kits in stock for me to snag :lol: .