THE Revell F-4G build thread

Nice looking cockpit Kurt :thumbsup:! Personally I think Revell has done a nice job providing the modeler with the cockpit essentials and he/she can flesh them out as they wish/if they wish. Great progress.

Regards,

Don.

Alright, not much to report but I have made some progress. I'm quickly learning that detail painting takes a lot longer in 1/32. First, my work on the aileron droop. I cut them out, glued the two haves together and then used milliput to form the forward section. I've since gone back in and started using evergreen strips to close up the sides.

20150506_083611_zpsegjg7s2h.jpg

Then, the rest of my time was spent trying to attach the G backseat panel to the resin E panel. I think it turned out alright considering. Only issue is I couldn't figure out how to add a hood so, no hood. Then I got back to painting. There is still a lot of cockpit painting and weathering but I'm getting closer.

20150522_161032_zpsd6kfsrv3.jpg

20150522_161041_zpsbccb0eq3.jpg

20150522_161053_zps4konj3xd.jpg

I hope to have the cockpit painted and nose put together sooner rather than later, but between work being nuts and family visiting the next three times I'm off progress will be miserably slow. Hope you guys like it.

Edit: I don't know why the flap picture is sideways, sorry!

Edited by falcon20driver

Falcon30driver,

Your cockpit really looks outstanding, especially those seats.

I cut out a lot of the flying surfaces on my WW11 aircraft, and end up using pieces of sheet plastic that I glue together, sand and file to rough shape, then coats of Bondo to get a nice, smooth contour. It never occurred to me to use Milliput, and I have a brand new box not 2 feet from me. Go figure :bandhead2:/>

Joel

Falcon20driver the pit is coming along nicely. I can empathize about how progress gets impeded by "life." I have been having much the same issue so progress is slow for me as well. I like the progress you have made on the seats as well (to echo what Joel has said.)

-Mark

Great stuff Kurt. I've been working on the aft fuselage while painting the cockpit. I've noticed theres going to be a gapin the fuselage wing join. My plan is to grab some more strip styrene and use it to solve that issue.

O.k. fellas I have some VERY minor updates just to prove that I am still plugging away at my BIG Phantom (my 1/48 Phantom has been getting the lions share of my already limited bench time) ;).

Kit seats about 1/4 done including some initial dry brushing. In my opinion, they really could... should...use to be replaced. I still have to paint the belts, add more belts, and potentially add some safety/warning placards:

IMG_20150527_115249_zps2ae9be78.jpg

Notice that the cockpit tub has been painted the interior color. It needs a wash and some paint chipping and general weathering:

IMG_20150527_115111_zps9d16e511.jpg

The side consoles are giving me fits and I may just scratch build them using reduced photos of the actual consoles and then make them 3D using bits and bobs of plastic.

Underwing areas (main wheel wells and speed/dive brakes):

IMG_20150527_115533489_zps817ef174.jpg

IMG_20150527_115549717_zps9abab8d6.jpg

Notice above that I have just (as in last night) started the weathering process on the starboard speed/dive break bay (notice the "new" rivets). Each bay (wheel bays and speed/dive break) will receive dry brushing, a wash, and "new" rivets in various areas. Same with the actual wheel bay and speed/dive break doors seen below:

IMG_20150527_115620775_HDR_zpsf40d1e74.jpg

Well folks that's it for now. Like my first post stated, I build slowly. But work continues.

Kindest regards to all,

Don.

I have also been building one of these OOB. Yesterday I started putting on the decals. I am building the Pharewell Phantom and the decals are very thin and settle down nicely but they are frustrating to use. They will wrinkle or fold up on themselves very easily if you do not watch out. Make sure you use plenty of setting solution/water when placing them. I have read that the ordnance is not correct for the time frame of this jet but I am not that worried about it and am putting them under the wings. There are no decals included for the ECM pod. I cobbled together enough spare decals to make it look busy but it is not correct.

While I was waiting for some paint to dry I started looking at the box top. I had not noticed before that Revell photoshopped the markings and panel lines onto the picture of the aircraft on the box top. Whoever built the display model that is shown on the side flap did not put the bowing Phantom or national insignia on the jet.

Els

• 2 weeks later...

Still moving along on this one. I have the major sub assemblies assembled, I am in the putty, sand, repeat cycle. I am trying to get the seams done while these parts are still easily handled, once it is all together, it will be a bit cumbersome.

IMGP7546-vi.jpg

I wanted to replace the kit seats with some resin. I bought the True Details seats because they were cheap. I guess you get what you pay for. They seem to be quite a bit undersized. Here are some pics of the resin and kit seats, let me know what you think.

f-4g%20089_zpskgebgnzk.jpg

f-4g%20096_zpsxvizlaik.jpg

f-4g%20095_zpsgyotnaa4.jpg

I think I will just try to add some new belts to the kit seats and use those.

Els

I spent a couple of hours to try and make the straps for the seats. I don't know how accurate they are, I used the True Details seats as an example.

The old straps were sanded off

100_7100_zpsjhl3bydn.jpg

I watched a video online where the person showed how to make aircraft straps out of putty. So I gave it a shot.

100_7101_zps7au7q7kr.jpg

I quickly realized that I was horrible at it so I decided to just use some masking tape instead. The putty did not go to waste because I used it to make the buckles. I used two layers of tape and then cut it with a straight edge and Exacto.

100_7107_zpsdyfnwlsa.jpg

I think they will look good enough after they are painted.

Els

Els,

I've watched the video on using Milliput to make seatbelts and the one for wiring. It's been a complete disaster with my attempts at making WW11 belts as well. Wiring does work, but lead wire is a lot easier to work with. Your home made belts look really good. Once painted and weathered, they'll be just fine.

As for those True Detail seats, they look more like 1/48 scale then 1/32 scale.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

I finished the kit after a marathon modeling session yesterday. At some point I will build another one of these so I have a lot of notes on my instruction sheet. I made a lot of mistakes on this kit but I think it is a good addition to my Three Foot Air Force (it is better from four feet though). I am going to put in a plug for Gorilla super glue. I accidentally glued one of the antenna's on the top in the wrong place and noticed it about two minutes after gluing it. When I tried to pull the antenna off the whole kit lifted off the table. I decided to just leave it where it was. From what I have read the underwing stuff is not correct for this era jet but I am not worried about it. I could nitpick it all day long but instead I will just post a pic of the finished kit.

100_7122a_zpsr5kfwvns.jpg

Even with its problems I am still happy with it, now I have to try and find some space for the thing.

Els

Thank you.

The wing to fuselage joint was not that bad. I used some styrene strip to fill in the gap so that it would be a little stronger than just putty.

• 3 weeks later...