THE Revell F-4G build thread

Recent decals from Revell are quite usable. They are not like the 80s with the really thick glossy decals. I recently built the 1/48th F-4C/D with the candy cane stripes and a million stencils.

I would say they are better than Hasegawa but not as good as nice after market decals. They responded well to the microscale system. The decals in the F-4g look like they were made by the same printer.

I am toying with the idea of jumping in here if my local Hobby Lobby has one in stock (my 40% off coupon expires today so I will be making a trip over after my Sons baseball game). I build pretty much OOB and was wondering how the decals are in this kit? I like the markings on the box top so if they are decent I wouldn't need to source out an AM scheme.

Regards,

Don...who is hoping the modeling gods have left one of these kits in stock for me to snag :lol:/> .

After my Sons baseball game he and I took a slight detour to our local Hobby Lobby and I grabbed their last kit (40% off coupon made this kit dirt cheap!!!):

IMG_20150502_180702342_zpsaa1e68e0.jpg

I just snapped a quick picture and haven't even torn off the clear wrapper...that comes right after I post this :woot.gif:. So, if its alright with you fellas then count me in on this unofficial GB. This will be a majority OOB build, including the decals. I build S-L-O-W-L-Y though gents. Looking forward to this build :thumbsup:!

Regards,

Don

I'm following along. I'm interested to see how this one comes together.

The kit is getting a harsh wrap, but if Hobby Lobby is selling them with 40% coupons it will be hard to resist. Can you build it as an E as is out of the box?

I was able to make a little progress on the Phantom today. I spent my time bouncing around different parts of the build. I continued cleaning the seam on the fuselage halves and rescribing lost panel lines on the top. I also spent time continuing to paint the ejection seats. I'm slowly getting there on the seats but there is still a long way to go on those:

20150505_113746_zps3p7uuici.jpg

I also worked on the wing parts. I glued the upper wing parts to the lower wing center section. I removed the ailerons so they can be positioned in the drooped position. I still need to go back and blank out the openings left from removing the ailerons. I also need to sand the milliput I used to fill the space in the ailerons themselves and shape it to it's proper shape. All in all, it is an easy fix. Then I dry fit the assembled wing to check the fit. It looks like there is a little gap that needs some attending too. I believe from a quick fit that a few evergreen strips cut to fit on each side will solve that problem.

20150505_161752_zps1angbagv.jpg

I really enjoy being able to work on the front half and back half separately. When I get tired of detail painting in the cockpit I can turn my attention to the back end. My next problem is mixing the Revell instrument panel to the resin cockpit to have a proper G panel. Till next time :wave:

Falcon20driver your seats are looking great :thumbsup:! Solid start on the rear of the fuselage and wings as well. You are out of the gates on this build in great fashion. Well done.

Regards,

Don.

Well gentlemen this is without a doubt my biggest build in 25+ years of model building. I must admit that the intimidation factor really kicks into high gear when you first pop the top off the box. Just the forward fuselage section from the area immediately behind the rear cockpit to the area just before the nose cone is larger then most of my completed 1/72 World War II aircraft. Talk about a "wow factor" :o !

Anyways here is what I have completed thus far. I removed all of the kit cockpit parts as well as the two forward fuselage halves and cleaned them up. When I dry fit everything together it immediately became apparent that some scratch built detailing would be needed on the interior fuselage sides for both pilot and whizos/EWO's cockpits as there was nothing included in the kit:

IMG_20150503_210314193_HDR_zps67d7b01e.jpg

You can see the areas in question in the photo above. Keep in mind that I am trying to stay OOB as much as possible. I know that these areas will not be easily seen once the two forward sections are closed together, but just enough WILL be seen to warrant some detail work to "busy the area up" so to speak. Using references I came up with this so far:

IMG_20150504_200254076_HDR_zps80fde4a5.jpg

What you see above is just the skeleton that needs fleshing out. I still have some wires to add, some handles, various knobs and such. There is also what looks like a quilted material in some reference photos (sound deadening material?). I have no idea how I am going to mimic that. I may just pass on it and move along (just don't tell anyone ;) ). Besides as I wrote above, I am just trying to add some quick detail to an area that won't be seen all that much.

Then we have the cockpit sills:

IMG_20150505_151916090_zps3fa34c69.jpg

To me they look too thin. So I added some Evergreen strip to add some thickness:

IMG_20150505_204027273_HDR_zps556d203e.jpg

The notches you see in my add on sills are for upper cockpit tub clearances. They won't be seen once the cockpit tub is glued in and the two forward fuselage halves are permanently attached.

Well that's it folks. Nothing too grandiose but its a start. I still have a lot of work to do before spraying the cockpit interior color and detail painting. But its been fun so far.

Regards all,

Don.

Falcon20driver,

I'm really impressed how your detail painting those seats. 1/32 scale really makes that task so much easier then what we have to deal with in 1/48 scale. In this case, size does really matter.

Don,

Like you, my preference is to try and add the details with bits and pieces before just adding Resin parts, so I'm really liking the start to your cockpit.

Joel

There is also what looks like a quilted material in some reference photos (sound deadening material?). I have no idea how I am going to mimic that. I may just pass on it and move along (just don't tell anyone ;)). Besides as I wrote above, I am just trying to add some quick detail to an area that won't be seen all that much.

Regards all,

Don.

Hey Don, your work and everyone else's so far is a great start. I read about your quilting issue. I recently did something similar with my 48 A-10A. I used a UMM SCR-01. I drew the lines on in pencil first and then scribed the initial lines. Then, by angling the scriber at roughly 45 degrees I was able to widen the line. You could alter the angle for scale. I have attached a photo to illustrate. If you are uncomfortable doing it on the kit's sidewalls, you can practice on a scrap piece of styrene sheet. Hope that will help, if you choose to do it. Great work by you and the others. I love the F-4! Especially the "Golf" variant as it was one of my first "real" kits back in the day. Hasegawa's 48 F-4G and C. Since then I have two 48 "G's" just waiting on the shelf! You have to have one in Euro I and one in Hill Gray! Haha! Hope this helps!

-Mark

20150107_145211.jpg

You guys are all doing a fantastic job. I'm so envious. I would love to go pick one up and start it, but I'm starting a new job and have a new type rating to get over the next couple months. I'll be following!

Aaron

First off, thanks Joel, falcon20driver, taggor, and Jester292 for the kind words, thoughts and advice on my post from last evening. Much appreciated and highly motivating. Thanks Gents!

Last night and tonight I spent a goodly portion of time working on the cockpit tub. Like the fuselage sides I just think that it looks too sparse. Have a look at what the kit supplied tub looks like before any detailing (please excuse my pencil marks...I have a bad habit of drawing my initial thoughts/goals with pencil to get a feel for what needs to be done before committing to glue :rolleyes: ):

IMG_20150503_211158538_zps20b249b7.jpg

And here is what the tub looks like now after a lot of cutting and fitting Evergreen plastic:

IMG_20150506_104549815_zpsfd8376af.jpg

I just need to run some fine sandpaper over everything to blend and smooth and help get rid of some of the rough areas:

IMG_20150506_104555959_zps5ffb1c9f.jpg

Considering much of what I have built will be hard to see after instrument panels, seats, control sticks, canopy's etc get added I think by the time I spray the cockpit color and pick out details like hoses and connections it should look the part. Here are a few photos of the cockpit components from last evenings post and tonight's dry fitted together for you to see how things are progressing:

IMG_20150506_215654192_HDR_zpsaacae01e.jpg

IMG_20150506_215716087_HDR_zpse6e0b4d0.jpg

IMG_20150506_215729568_HDR_zps9bc911ee.jpg

IMG_20150506_215810587_HDR_zpsce9c28c3.jpg

I still have lots to do in the areas that you see above (handles, knobs, switches, hoses etc). Also that quilted sound deadening material isn't quilted at all! Whew :) . It was quilted in earlier F-4 versions but by the time the E's and G's came along the quilted materials had given way to a canvas type material. I figure tissue soaked in white glue will do the trick. Thanks taggor for your suggestion though :thumbsup: . I am keeping your idea handy for a later project.

As always, thanks fellas for taking the time to read and/or look at my progress.

Regards,

Don.

Don,

Just stellar detailing work in the cockpit. I guess you can say I'm really old school, like you, adding the bits and pieces myself rather then just buying a AM resin cockpit gives me a much greater sense of accomplishment. Studying pictures and reference material then adding what I can is my preferred method. Sure, it's no where near the level of detail of a resin cockpit, but for me that's not the point.

I'm also going to borrow your method of drawing the details on 1st. What a great idea. It solves a multitude of problems as I add details without having to go back a million times and look at the various reference pictures. And half the time I still screw it up.

Joel

Hi Don,

Majority OOB build, ey... ;)/> Nice start on the cockpit.

Cheers

Markus

I know...I can't help myself :bandhead2: .

:D

Regards,

Don.

Don,

Just stellar detailing work in the cockpit. I guess you can say I'm really old school, like you, adding the bits and pieces myself rather then just buying a AM resin cockpit gives me a much greater sense of accomplishment. Studying pictures and reference material then adding what I can is my preferred method. Sure, it's no where near the level of detail of a resin cockpit, but for me that's not the point.

I'm also going to borrow your method of drawing the details on 1st. What a great idea. It solves a multitude of problems as I add details without having to go back a million times and look at the various reference pictures. And half the time I still screw it up.

Joel

Thanks Joel. I have followed your excellent work in other builds and comments from you are much appreciated. Like you I just enjoy taking the kit supplied materials and then doing my best to spruce them up and add some detail. I do use resin for seats and major corrections but Evergreen plastic is my go-to material. Its most often (but not always) more work but I find I can really learn more about the subject by delving into resources and then trying to get as close as possible to replicating them. As far as penciling in hoses, lines, boxes, components etc goes I find it really helps visualizing and planning without committing to glue. The insides of most of my builds are filled with notes and scribbles :D.

Glad you are following along :thumbsup:.

Regards,

Don.

Started working on the kit supplied seats. In my opinion they really are weak and look "off" to me:

IMG_20150509_101531971_zps83649fdb.jpg

Now, there is some detail molded onto the seat sides that actually looks to be in the right location and fairly accurate, but far too small and soft for 1/32 to me. So I am bulking it up with...you guessed it...Evergreen plastic :D :

IMG_20150509_101735637_zpsff78a76c.jpg

IMG_20150509_101741212_zps7132cd91.jpg

There was also some really nasty sink holes behind the head rests that will be seen when the seats are completed so they need to be taken care of. You can just make out some white putty that still needs smoothing on the back of the pilots headrest in the photos above.

I should have some cockpit interior paint sprayed this weekend so I hope to have some color updates by mid-week. Again, nothing earth shattering but I am making slow and steady progress.

Thanks Gents and have a great weekend!

Regards,

Don.

:cheers:

Don,

Just enough extra detail added to fool one's eye. Same goes for the pit. These days I've bowed to pressure and have started to use AM resin seats for my jet builds, but the rest of the added details are always my own bits and pieces.

Joel

I am still working on mine. The cockpit is just about ready for assembly. I decided to try something I found over on LSP to do the ejection handles. I used a thin length of tape to mask the handles, after painting them yellow first. It did not come out perfect, but better than other methods have worked for me in the past

IMGP7486-vi.jpg

I am still working on mine. The cockpit is just about ready for assembly. I decided to try something I found over on LSP to do the ejection handles. I used a thin length of tape to mask the handles, after painting them yellow first. It did not come out perfect, but better than other methods have worked for me in the past

IMGP7486-vi.jpg

Looks good to me :thumbsup: ! Sharp lines, neat and tidy. Nothing wrong with that.

Regards,

Don.

Don,

I've never been able to paint those ejection handles no matter what I've tried even after reading how others do it. One thing that has worked better then anything so far, is using a very fine tip artists black marker. You can draw very fine lines and there is no run off.

Joel