THE Revell F-4G build thread

I am still working on mine. The cockpit is just about ready for assembly. I decided to try something I found over on LSP to do the ejection handles. I used a thin length of tape to mask the handles, after painting them yellow first. It did not come out perfect, but better than other methods have worked for me in the past

Hey Kurt, the ejection handles look good to me. As Don said they look really clean. I remember reading another ARC member's post who did the Kinetic EA-6B kit in 1/48 who used black and yellow thread to make the ejection handles which I thought was really ingenious. I paint my ejection handles too and I think that your work looks great. "Perfect" is really subjective and to my eye..... they are perfect! Keep up the great work.

-Mark

Edited by taggor

Question...what are you fellas using for the overall cockpit interior color? I read where FS 36231 is correct, and it looks like a pretty decent match to me. Yes/no?

Thanks and regards,

Don

Great thread guys. I just picked up my kit from Hobby Lobby and ordered my sheet from Speed Hunter. I think I'm going to do that Mig killer OT jet!!

What are you guys using for references? There just isn't much out there on the F-4G and I missed out on the Reid Air Phantom Guide before it sold out. Anyone know of a source for that book or another of similar quality on the F-4G?

I used 36231 / mr color 317, judge for yourself, but it looks right to my eye

IMGP7489-vi.jpg

Question...what are you fellas using for the overall cockpit interior color? I read where FS 36231 is correct, and it looks like a pretty decent match to me. Yes/no?

Thanks and regards,

Don

Great thread guys. I just picked up my kit from Hobby Lobby and ordered my sheet from Speed Hunter. I think I'm going to do that Mig killer OT jet!!

What are you guys using for references? There just isn't much out there on the F-4G and I missed out on the Reid Air Phantom Guide before it sold out. Anyone know of a source for that book or another of similar quality on the F-4G?

Welcome aboard! I'm using a magazine I snagged at the book store thats devoted to the F-4 and online sites like ARC and prime portal.

...ordered my sheet from Speed Hunter. I think I'm going to do that Mig killer OT jet!!...

I don't have that decal sheet myself, but the Mig killing 'G' must have been an 'E' convert...yes? Interesting...I may need to grab that sheet...or another kit AND the decal sheet...:bandhead2:

:lol:

Regards,

Don.

I don't have that decal sheet myself, but the Mig killing 'G' must have been an 'E' convert...yes? Interesting...I may need to grab that sheet...or another kit AND the decal sheet...:bandhead2:/>

:lol:/>

Regards,

Don.

Yep. The decal sheet says it got its kill in Nam when it was an F-4E.

You should definitely get it. It's a great sheet and the only 1/32 F-4G sheet I'm aware of that is currently available.

seats and cockpit clear coated and ready for a wash ... I found some burnt umber and low odor thinner my paint stash.... no time like the present to learn. but first the clear needs to dry for a day or two

IMGP7493-vi.jpg

IMGP7492-vi.jpg

You guys have probably already seen this shot of the rear cockpit of a late F-4G, but I thought that I would post a link anyways just in case it comes in handy to someone.

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/media/070/F4G-Rear_Cockpit.tiles/mobile_f.jpg

What struck me was how much of the panel is black as opposed to being predominantly grey with black instruments. This is the panel that I am planning on duplicating for my Weasel.

Regards,

Don.

seats and cockpit clear coated and ready for a wash ... I found some burnt umber and low odor thinner my paint stash.... no time like the present to learn. but first the clear needs to dry for a day or two

IMGP7493-vi.jpg

IMGP7492-vi.jpg

Looking good Kurt :thumbsup: !

Regards,

Don

Mind if I build with you?

Jump in :thumbsup: ! Heck I build so slow you will probably finish before I do... :lol: . The more the merrier I say.

Regards,

Don.

P.S. I should have some updates by the weekend. Work and family have limited my bench time.

Thanks! I am still debating if I want to do the kit decals from Idaho or a Spang Rhino from my Airdoc sheet. I am leaning towards Spang cause I am going to do a 32nd scale SEAD build with a Trumpeter F-105G in SEA camo, this kit in Euro 1 and an Academy F-16CJ in grey. All my paints are dried up or the lids have rusted shut so I am picking up paints tomorrow to start on the pit

The cockpit is finished, it looks pretty good for a box stock pit

IMGP7502-vi.jpg

I do see now in this picture that ugly seam on the back of the forward seat. Maybe I can re-work it, the seats are not glued in.

The cockpit is glued into the fuselage half

IMGP7504-vi.jpg

I just realized I forgot to add the little stick on the rear cockpit side panel. I think i can get it in there before I close up the fuselage.

Hey Kurt, that is an impressive looking pit! It would seem as if Revell is answering the call for model builders who demand more detail. Just a guess of course. Great work!

-Mark

Edited by taggor

Kurt,

That's a really impressive looking OOB pit. Well done.

Falcon20driver,

I'm still trying to follow everyone's builds, but it's getting harder and harder as more guys join in. Yeah, summer time is family time when everyone just drops on by on my days off for a BQ. Right now we're having the Florida room remodeled after the beating it took this winter. I must say it's really looking way better then the last version I did myself. And It's time to replace the old Weber. This time I'm not spending anymore then $300 max.

Joel

Looking darn good Kurt. I'm really impressed with how the stock cockpit came out.

Joel,

I have a char-griller and I love it. $130 at the box stores. Beats a weber any day in my opinion. Hopefully I'll have a photo or two up tonight on the glacial F-4 build.

Joel,

I have a char-griller and I love it. $130 at the box stores. Beats a weber any day in my opinion. Hopefully I'll have a photo or two up tonight on the glacial F-4 build.

Falcon20driver,

looking forward to seeing how your build is going.

Will checkout Home Depot and see if they have those grills. But at the rate that the weather is going, winter gear and a chance of snow just could happen. Last night when I left work it was 47 degrees. It's almost June ! That's insane for Long Island this time of the year.

Joel

Joel,

Falcon20driver,

looking forward to seeing how your build is going.

Will checkout Home Depot and see if they have those grills. But at the rate that the weather is going, winter gear and a chance of snow just could happen. Last night when I left work it was 47 degrees. It's almost June ! That's insane for Long Island this time of the year.

Joel

+1. I am looking forward to your progress as well falcon20driver! Personally, I enjoy my Coleman Road Trip XLE. It's small and portable and you can use the gas hookup if you like or the small propane cylinders. Sure not quite as robust as Weber (or so I think). I am not too familiar with the char-griller. Different lifestyles I guess. About the same cost as the char-griller though

I can't believe it..... 47 degrees!! That is insane. Sometimes I miss PA and the Northeast but, not with temps like that!

Bring on the next round of updates when you can.

-Mark