Brett Green just announced a new Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito

So we have two answers above, one saying that Roy is trusted but maybe hasn't seen the latest revision, and one saying Roy is involved in the ongoing corrections. So he's involved but not seeing the corrected iterations he's helping with? Seems a bit. . . . nonsensical! I hope the final article is bang on the money, I really do. Nothing would make me happier. But wouldn't it be better to start by combining all the information that is readily available to make something really close from the get go, than have to firefight horrendous innacuracies revision-after-revision as they are pointed out? These aren't minor revisions, they are major airframe changes. This isn't "tweaking a test shot" territory, it's major stuff if it's done right.

But I'll be delighted to be proved wrong when the actual thing hits the shops.

And this was posted on April 14th by Roy himself over on Hyperscale:-

"My repeated attempts to alert them to the problems went unanswered.

Its a beautiful piece of tooling, corrupted by some bad drawings.

Happy modelling! Roy"

So whoever is helping them, as of April 14th, it doesn't appear to be Roy!

Edited by Dmanton300

At least that leaves the door big open for Tamiya... mind you, they're not immune to accuracy issues but, sofar, I can't recall terrible outline/cross section issues on their 1/32 überkits. The F-4 Phantom perhaps, but that was looong time ago.

The pics of the HK Models' kit were of test shots, and there has been extensive work done to correct the issues. This has already been discussed previously. I am sure the final product from HK Models will be much better, and I am sure the kit will be nice. I am really excited about the Tamiya announcement because the FB VI variant is the one I want.

It will be interesting and nice to have both out there to choose from.

Cheers

Brad

The build up I saw a couple weeks ago of the HK kit still had the issues I saw when the first photos of the test shots were released. People were ga ga over the innovative casting of the parts by HK but I saw real issues with the kit. It looked to me like they copied some of the several year old 1/48 Revell/Germany B.MkIV kit along with its problems. I would buy the Tamiya Mossie sight unseen while I would have to see detailed sprue shots of the final kit HK will be issuing. I would have preferred a Tamiya B.MkIV first but a FB.Mk VI is good as well.

Before you get to excited with your petrol and pitchfork Roy helped HK on the fixes including the cowls which are still happening.

What did they do about the armor plated rudder which looks nothing like the one HK has out.

Hello,

Some CAD's of the new Tamiya Mosquito on The Modelling News

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2015/04/new-cads-of-tamiyas-mosquito-in-32nd.html#more

Cheers

Boris

Looks like no rockets in this release, so I won't be doing a Coastal Command Mossie anytime soon. Bummer, I'd rather see the rockets than the engine and all the other interior parts that won't be used on many builds. Regardless, it still looks like a fantastic kit and well worth the $130 that HLJ is quoting.

honestly, if one of these mega companies were to release a series of hi-tech F86 saber jets, it would be a license to print money! Specially if they were to incorporate RAF and W. German airframes as well Korean War airframes (I know it will take several kits). Look at the nationalities it would cover. I'm glad that HK and Tamiya chose to model different versions of the Mosquito, and at least they won't be butting heads as much as many here think they will. Personally, I'd rather have seen a Beaufighter. But that's just me. Yet Tamiya probably should have expanded their Spitfire line as most of the parts are already tooled up. The world is begging for a MK.V series and just maybe a MK.XII. I'd jump on a Korean War Corsair in a heart beat. Once again most of the tooling is already in place.

Right now it looks like Revell is the only chance we have at getting a MK. V series of Spitfire in 1/32, as nobody else seems interested at the moment. I kinda hope that Revell will do the Hudson, and a PV2 Harpoon in 1/48th. I know the Hudson will sell quite well on both sides of the pond. Now we see a fairly new company called ZM moving right up to the forefront. Their kits seem to get better with every new issue, so perhaps they'll do the Beaufighter! Personally, I'd like to see them tackle the Phantom series. Another license to print money! They should start with a Spey Phantom, then drop back to the F4b.

just some thoughts

gary

honestly, if one of these mega companies were to release a series of hi-tech F86 saber jets, it would be a license to print money!

It's funny how the corporate mindset works. I would have thought that if someone released a new-tool 1/35th Huey they would be raking in the millions since the only current Huey model on the market is crappy and also given the dozens of countries that flew this helo, there would be international interest. So far, no takers.

I'd love to understand how these outfits end up selecting their subjects.

All that being said, given how large scale models are increasing in popularity of late, I would think it's only a matter of time before we get a line of F-86's. At minimum, I'm assuming if the Kinetic F-86D sells well, they will be inclined to release other variants.

Companies are people. People do crazy things, often not even in their own best interests. And in some cases, product decisions are driven by bean counters who know little or nothing about the beans they're counting.

They look at their total customer base, not just one country. It's funny how a "licence to print money" is always an American aircraft, but Tamiya's (and Hasegawa's) main market is Japan; why do you think Tamiya's first venture into the "super-kit" market was the Zero? They learnt from that, and the engine noise and whirring propeller have gone.

They look at their total customer base, not just one country. It's funny how a "licence to print money" is always an American aircraft, but Tamiya's (and Hasegawa's) main market is Japan; why do you think Tamiya's first venture into the "super-kit" market was the Zero?

If you look at the all the kits released, it appears that if you want a "license to print money", you need to offer something with a swastika on the tail.

If their main market is Japan, one would think that a Huey or Saber would be much preferred over a Mosquito since Japan operated both those aircraft.

• 1 month later...

Brett Green has a detailed review of the pre-production parts over on HS

http://www.hyperscale.com/2015/reviews/kits/tamiya60326reviewbg_1.htm

Looks absolutely incredible, details include a map and rank badges for the crew! My only complaint is that I still wish Tamiya had forgone one of the engines (or ideally both) to keep costs down.

Anyone want to wager on what is next in line? My money is on a Coastal Command version (simply add rockets / rails and maybe slipper tanks), followed by some night fighters.

Edited by 11bee

honestly, if one of these mega companies were to release a series of hi-tech F86 saber jets, it would be a license to print money! Specially if they were to incorporate RAF and W. German airframes as well Korean War airframes (I know it will take several kits). Look at the nationalities it would cover. I'm glad that HK and Tamiya chose to model different versions of the Mosquito, and at least they won't be butting heads as much as many here think they will. Personally, I'd rather have seen a Beaufighter. But that's just me. Yet Tamiya probably should have expanded their Spitfire line as most of the parts are already tooled up. The world is begging for a MK.V series and just maybe a MK.XII. I'd jump on a Korean War Corsair in a heart beat. Once again most of the tooling is already in place.

gary

Well Kinetic has done modern F-86's in 1/32 and Italieri boxes them as well. Kitty Hawk is doing a line of Dog Sabres in 1/32.

As to a Korean War Corsair, little tooling is actually in place, that would require extensively retooling the fuselage, cockpit, lower wing and engine/cowl for Tamiya to get a F4U-4. Only the LG, outer/upper wings, inner flaps, ailerons & tailfeathers would remain from the current -1 kit, and the outer wings would also need replacement to get a -4B. A -5 or AU-1 would be a near-complete retool.

Likewise, a Spit V would require extensive new tooling for Tamiya, although probably less than getting a late Corsair since they broke the fuselage at the firewall. They'd need new wings and a completely new set of sprues from the firewall forward aside from the basic engine block. Plus side would be that if you tooled up a V, you could readily do an XII by retooling only the firewall forward. That's still a lot of new tooling and probably not worth it for an XII, better to tool a high-back XIV instead, as that would only need a new nose & radiators from the current VIII and E and C wings.

If Tamiya hadn't at least considered the possibility of a Spit MkI, they'd have had no reason to put the antenna wire post on top of the rudder. Nothing later than a MkI had the wire...

Well Kinetic has done modern F-86's in 1/32 and Italieri boxes them as well. Kitty Hawk is doing a line of Dog Sabres in 1/32.

But no F86A or 'E', the two most common Korean era versions. That's what the masses want, not another F86F-30 or -40 version. Even the old Hasegawa -40 could be made into a -30 model with no trouble at all.

Tony

But no F86A or 'E', the two most common Korean era versions. That's what the masses want, not another F86F-30 or -40 version.

+1

An "E" is EXACTLY what I want.

This thread is about the Tamiya Mosquito, yes? Can we please try and keep things on topic?

There is a test shot build going on over at Britmodeller, unfortunately I can't access it at work but I'll post the links later today (unless someone beats me to it!). The builder has some big watermarks on the photos but you can still see what's what.