Brett Green just announced a new Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito

As soon as I heard there was a Tamiya crew visiting the new Mossie in Virginia I knew something was up. Tamiya San does not sent a crew half way around the world to just visit a museum, especially when they were only interested in one particular aircraft. Of the two 1/32 scale Mosquito's, the one that was announced and the other that was just a "rumor", I knew which one I would wait for. After looking at the splash of photos of the HK test shots and the recent buildup, I knew I was right in waiting for the Tamiya product. It will be far more accurate. I'm sure Tamiya San will have the correct fin height on their new release. HK's B-17, B-25, P51 and A-1 may be nice but their Mossie is a dog.

The pics of the HK Models' kit were of test shots, and there has been extensive work done to correct the issues. This has already been discussed previously. I am sure the final product from HK Models will be much better, and I am sure the kit will be nice. I am really excited about the Tamiya announcement because the FB VI variant is the one I want.

It will be interesting and nice to have both out there to choose from.

Cheers

Brad

As soon as I heard there was a Tamiya crew visiting the new Mossie in Virginia I knew something was up. Tamiya San does not sent a crew half way around the world to just visit a museum, especially when they were only interested in one particular aircraft. Of the two 1/32 scale Mosquito's, the one that was announced and the other that was just a "rumor", I knew which one I would wait for. After looking at the splash of photos of the HK test shots and the recent buildup, I knew I was right in waiting for the Tamiya product. It will be far more accurate. I'm sure Tamiya San will have the correct fin height on their new release. HK's B-17, B-25, P51 and A-1 may be nice but their Mossie is a dog.

Even before they visited it in Virginia they visited the same aircraft in two other locations,

You seem to have the Mosquito and the Hornet mixed up, it was the latter which was the total failure in Asia. The Aussies and RAF both operated Mosquito's in the Pacific both during the war and Postwar, the Kiwi's did so briefly post-war. The RAF and SAAF both operated the Mosquito in the Med as well. The RAF also operated Mosquito's in the CBI theater. It was hardly a one theater airframe.

Mosquito's saw action in the IAF during the Suez crisis and also served with the Turkish Air Force, Belgian Air Force, Swedish Air Force, and the Republic of China Air Force. There were quite a few smaller operators as well (the L'Armee d L'air operated them in French Indochina for example). They saw action with the Chinese and French as well.

In civilian service the Mosquito saw service with BOAC during the war, and Spartan Air Services for quite a few years post-war.

it's common knowledge that the glue and wood didn't do well, and Australia is much drier than say Burma. Not real important anyway.

Besides the P51B, I'd like to see Tamiya do a Rufe off the A6m2 zero. A 1/32 scale Pete would be to die for!

gary

As soon as I heard there was a Tamiya crew visiting the new Mossie in Virginia I knew something was up. Tamiya San does not sent a crew half way around the world to just visit a museum, especially when they were only interested in one particular aircraft.

Yes they do. They have many, many times in the past. If you knew the list of museum airplanes they've photographed extensively, and on which they've done archival research, your head would explode.

Trouble is, not all museum exhibits are accurate - some being cobbled together from parts of more than one airframe.

Didn't Tamiya research the Hendon Gloster Meteor - and get the airbrakes wrong on the variant they kitted.

I seem to remember something about it...... in the dark recesses...

The Hendon exhibit is an F9/40 prototype IIRC..... and they did an F.1 - or something.

As long as researchers know what they are looking at, it's OK.

Ken

Trouble is, not all museum exhibits are accurate - some being cobbled together from parts of more than one airframe.

Didn't Tamiya research the Hendon Gloster Meteor - and get the airbrakes wrong on the variant they kitted....

Ken

Yep. The initial release was messed up by putting F.3 style air brakes and funky blisters under the wings on/in their first F.1 run. But, to their credit they revised it for later releases and offered to replace the wings in the few kits that were sold with the wrong wing.

Personally, I would love to grab one of these 1/32 Tamiya Mossies but it probably won't happen unless I win the lottery or a free kit (odds of both are slim to none). My model budget is just too tight to drop what they will no doubt be asking for it. I will live vicariously through those that post their "in progress" build reports :D

How can the same aircraft be in three places at once?

Brad

The Viginia Aircraft is the same aircraft that Tamiya measured in New Zealand at AV Specs prior to it travelling to Virginia. As to the third measurement, not sure if that occurred during its recent tour (which included a stop at the CWHM, a regular Tamiya partner) or if they'd measured it in the past prior to it being shipped to AV Specs (I do think they at least took a look at it in the early 2000's when it was still in Canada).

Edited by mawz

it's common knowledge that the glue and wood didn't do well, and Australia is much drier than say Burma. Not real important anyway.

Besides the P51B, I'd like to see Tamiya do a Rufe off the A6m2 zero. A 1/32 scale Pete would be to die for!

gary

Actually the Mosquito served in Burma during the war (CBI theater), and postwar with the RAF and the Burmese Air Force after independence. Did just fine.

please tell me what they did with all those Mosquitos after the war, other than feed termites? The airframe was a total failure in Asia due to the wood rotting, pretty much a one theater airframe.

Ah, the famous old wives tale, which gets trotted out with monotonous regularity; it was actually the glue which caused the problem, since at first it was the same as used on furniture, based on milk (therefore attractive to insects,) and applied hot, which meant it softened in the heat of the Far East. Once a chemical expert, Andrew Oliver by name, came up with a different formula, the problems ceased; as for post-war, the Mosquito had no role, so orders dried up. Components were built here, in my home town, and there are photos of the last parts about to leave the factories, before the end of the war, and wooden furniture is already on show in the background.

It's funny how we are continually regaled with the Mosquito's "failure," though nobody mentions the Vampire, whose fuselage pod was constructed in exactly the same way, and it served successfully all over the world.

Edited by Edgar

The Viginia Aircraft is the same aircraft that Tamiya measured in New Zealand at AV Specs prior to it travelling to Virginia. As to the third measurement, not sure if that occurred during its recent tour (which included a stop at the CWHM, a regular Tamiya partner) or if they'd measured it in the past prior to it being shipped to AV Specs (I do think they at least took a look at it in the early 2000's when it was still in Canada).

Yes, I know, this was just my attempt at dry humour :)

Brad

Ah, the famous old wives tale, which gets trotted out with monotonous regularity; it was actually the glue which caused the problem, since at first it was the same as used on furniture, based on milk (therefore attractive to insects,) and applied hot, which meant it softened in the heat of the Far East. Once a chemical expert, Andrew Oliver by name, came up with a different formula, the problems ceased; as for post-war, the Mosquito had no role, so orders dried up. Components were built here, in my home town, and there are photos of the last parts about to leave the factories, before the end of the war, and wooden furniture is already on show in the background.

It's funny how we are continually regaled with the Mosquito's "failure," though nobody mentions the Vampire, whose fuselage pod was constructed in exactly the same way, and it served successfully all over the world.

all I'm implying is that there are better British airframes to kit. The Typhoon would be right near the top as it played an important role in WWII. The Tempest family as well. I like the Mosquito, and is one of my all time favorites. Yet I can think of others I'd rather see out of the RAF. I'd kill for a hi-tech Lysander or a Hudson!! So now we get two companies banging head to head with what will probably be two good kits. When one of them could have gave us a Special Duties Lysander or the Hudson. In the end we all lost here. Besides the Lysander is so ugly, it's sexy!!!

Now we all know what to expect from Tamiya. High quality, and an over the top price tag. So be it! If the HK kit is anything like their DO335, then it will be right in there as well. Still it seems like one or the other wasted a little bit of precious time. Had HK done the Hudson, I'd be good for two of them. Same with the Lysander or even the Typhoon.

Just ranting!

gary

all I'm implying is that there are better British airframes to kit. The Typhoon would be right near the top as it played an important role in WWII. The Tempest family as well. I like the Mosquito, and is one of my all time favorites. Yet I can think of others I'd rather see out of the RAF. I'd kill for a hi-tech Lysander or a Hudson!! So now we get two companies banging head to head with what will probably be two good kits. When one of them could have gave us a Special Duties Lysander or the Hudson. In the end we all lost here. Besides the Lysander is so ugly, it's sexy!!!

Now we all know what to expect from Tamiya. High quality, and an over the top price tag. So be it! If the HK kit is anything like their DO335, then it will be right in there as well. Still it seems like one or the other wasted a little bit of precious time. Had HK done the Hudson, I'd be good for two of them. Same with the Lysander or even the Typhoon.

Just ranting!

gary

Neither the Typhoon nor the Tempest are nearly as iconic as the Mosquito, nor did either see as wide or important service (The Typhoon really was a a single-theater/single-war aircraft and the Tempest was as well for WW2 service and had far more limited post-war service than the Mosquito). Iconic is a clear requirement for Tamiya's new-tool 1/32 kits and the Mosquito is a perfect fit for Tamiya.

Personally, I'd much rather see a Typhoon or Tempest since I'd be likely to build them and I'm very unlikely to ever build a Mosquito in a scale larger than 1/48, but I don't expect Tamiya to kit either, they don't fit Tamiya's criteria for subject choice.

Wow, not even the right manufacturer on half of those kits you list. But no need to let some research get in the way of an "opinion" on the Internet. The P-51 and A-1 are from Zoukei-Mura, which is of course its own company. HK has only released the three B-25 kits, one B-17, one Gloster Meteor, and one Do-335. And the Mosquito had a lot of fixes to it from the original prototype. New pictures have been posted on Large Scale Modeler for a couple of weeks now.

It's a shame those engine cowls (and spinners) on the HK kit are completely borked and woefully innacurate though, isn't it?

What's "woefully inaccurate" about the cowlings? The spinners may end up being completely re-done before the kit is released. HK is aware of the problem.

The entire top line from about mid chord forward is basically straight on the real thing. Not so the kit. Workout entirely redoing the cowls to make the spinners the right diameter for a start, never mind their shape, the engine nacelles are a total loss. Oh yeah, the nose and canopy is fubar as well apparently (thats not my observation, that's Roy Sutherland's - I'd trust him over Mosquito shapes before more or less anyone else in the modelling world - he was first to point out the nacelle /spinner issue, but I can see that myself on a cursory glance). Trust me, new spinners will not an accurate nacelle make!

Edited by Dmanton300

The Tamiya kit should be around $200 or more when it reaches local hobby stores. If you are into super accurate model building, the total price with aftermarket could be as high as $400 or more.

Certainly, with so much available as options these days, its very tempting to build a highly detailed and accurate kit. At the same time, with Tamiya's recent releases of 1/32 kits, their excellent details, fit and engineering dont leave much for an average model maker like me to go for aftermarket.

The entire top line from about mid chord forward is basically straight on the real thing. Not so the kit. Workout entirely redoing the cowls to make the spinners the right diameter for a start, never mind their shape, the engine nacelles are a total loss. Oh yeah, the nose and canopy is fubar as well apparently (thats not my observation, that's Roy Sutherland's - I'd trust him over Mosquito shapes before more or less anyone else in the modelling world - he was first to point out the nacelle /spinner issue, but I can see that myself on a cursory glance). Trust me, new spinners will not an accurate nacelle make!

That's because the original prototypes were trying to get both single and twin-stage engines into one kit. After they found out about it, they've completely re-done it. The newest set of test shots are out there, people should look instead of just ripping a kit. I really trust Roy, but I'm not sure if he's seen the newest iteration of the plastic. It's been really fixed. Check out LSM for more.

Before you get to excited with your petrol and pitchfork Roy helped HK on the fixes including the cowls which are still happening.