MH-60M interior references

I'm currently working on a 1/35 MH-60M using Cobra Company's conversion set but I I have a question about the minigun setup. With the new crash-worthy seats for the crew chiefs, where are the ammo bins located, or does the 160th not use the new seats so the setup would be the same as the MH-60L? If anyone has any reference photos of this area, it would be a great help to me.

That my friend is the new 1 million dollar picture everybody wants. From what little I've seen, the ammo cans are sitting sideways just behind the center console.

The new MH-60M doesn't use the old crew chief metal storage dividers that hung on the back of the pilot's seats.

They use something new that sits higher up behind the pilot's seat, but there is not a clear and detailed picture of that area,so us modelers have no idea what the new ICS/radio mount nor the new ammo box layout is!---see why it's the 1 million dollar picture!

Tim

The one picture I have which was taken through a gunner window at an angle shows the storage ICS box moved up the seat back above the ammo bins which are located behind each pilot seat. Also, not all MH-60M use the new crash worthy seats.

Chris M

Edited by Chief Snake

The only pics I've got of the inside are the same ones you probably have. Every pic of that area was very vague and not very detailed enough to see inside the crew chief's area.

Maybe a 160th guy or Aaron will step up with some pics soon, I hope! I can't detail my MH-60M right until someone gets some good shots of the crew area and the new ammo box layout.

Tim

I know it's hard, but give me a month guys. The 160th is going to be at Paine Field Aviation Day on May 16th, and I'll be there with my camera. The CO of the 4th has been otherwise engaged, and so I have not been able to get back on base, so this is the earliest time I'll have access to the aircraft again, but I'll get what you guys need. I promise.

Aaron

One other I can add may be taken with a grain of salt, as the saying goes. A customer who bought one of the first MH-60M kits was building it for his son in law who flew on them. He pointed out something about the floor plate which I had failed to enter into the instructions ( now fixed) and the ammo boxes. The son in law had pointed out that a space existed on the floor between the seat mount plate so the ammo boxes sat right in the gap. He also pointed out the the metal storage/ICS box now sat centered on the seat back above the level of the ammo boxes. This was slightly contrary to the previous position which was lower and slightly inboard on the seat frame.

Chris M

I know it's hard, but give me a month guys. The 160th is going to be at Paine Field Aviation Day on May 16th, and I'll be there with my camera. The CO of the 4th has been otherwise engaged, and so I have not been able to get back on base, so this is the earliest time I'll have access to the aircraft again, but I'll get what you guys need. I promise.

Aaron

A MONTH??? That's like being told you're going on vacation next month. It's sooo long to wait-Lol

Aaron to the rescue!!!-thanks

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Okay guys. I think I got the goods for all ya'll. I need to go through and edit them, and I need to find the best place to post them as well. Any suggestions? Here on the ARC Walkaround page, or is there somewhere else that would be better?

Aaron

The MH-Ms have the ammo cans in the same spot as the ole MH-L's did (non DAP), they are just hard mounted to the floor now. There is a ballistic seat pallet they have in place of the UH-60M Martin Baker seat pallet that incorporates the seat tracks, BPS, and a hard mounting for the ammo cans. They sit slightly off the back of the pilot compartment (right about where the grenade sumps are) and next to the seats.

The only big things different in the back of the MH-M are the Martin Baker seats (crew and pax when installed), the new digital ICS boxes, and the radar altimeter display in the crew window. Other than that, the backs are pretty similar to the MH-L's.

Mike

Edited by HotMike

I'm ok for the ARC walk around and this thread. I'm not choosy. Thanks alot Aaron for taking the pics for us. You're the man!!!--Hotmike, why would crew members need radar altimeters?. Are you a member of the 160th SOAR?

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench

I'm ok for the ARC walk around and this thread. I'm not choosy. Thanks alot Aaron for taking the pics for us. You're the man!!!--Hotmike, why would crew members need radar altimeters?. Are you a member of the 160th SOAR?

Tim

My guess is, to help those in the back keep Situational Awareness when helping with FRIES insertions and the like. Here's a shot of them.

IMG_1940_zps8vjmwskj.jpg

SA and crew resource management. Crewmembers are responsible for announcing drift in hover insertions in all 3 axises, but under goggles, altitude drift can be harder to detect. The cockpit can get task saturated very quickly, and a good crew chief with enough information at his fingertips can augment the flying ability of the pilots rather than just run a gun.

Capability Development - Lift is nearing fielding of a multi-function display for the rear crew stations to increase the amount a crew chief can assist when it comes to non-shooting flight tasks.

Mike

I'm going to post this in a separate thread as well, but as well as posting them here on ARC, I am thinking about offering a high-res CD of my 160th reference photos. Would there be any interest in this? If I can get a semi-firm commitment (not talking pre-order, just a PM stating intention or something similar) for 10 or so of them, I would be willing to put them together. I am thinking in the range of 25 dollars, including shipping to anywhere in the US, and 30 international. It would include walkaround photos of the MH-60M and MH-47G, plus over-all shots I've taken as well.

Just throwing this out there. If you are interested in it, please respond to me via PM, or in the separate thread I will start.

Aaron

$5.00 from every CD sold will go to a Night Stalker-related charity. As of right now, the Night Stalker Association is under consideration. I will be asking my contact if there is another organization better suited for this.

Edited by strikeeagle801

Hey Aaron, I'm I missing something?I was understanding that the interior pictures were going to be posted on this thread or in the walk around section, now they are only available in a $25.00 CD? Not saying I wouldn't purchase one, but you said they would be posted here in a "little while", what did I miss.

Chuck

You didn't miss anything Chuck. The walk around of the MH-60M has been sent to Steve and to Prime Portal. Unfortunately, Steve said it would be 3-4 weeks before it is posted on the ARC main page.

The CD will include that walk around, plus a walk around of the MH-47G, in high-res, plus over-all shots I have taken on base, when they were deployed to the Yakima Training Center, and at various public events.

AT LEAST $5.00 of each CD sold is going to be donated to the Night Stalker Association to assist Night Stalkers and their families.

Aaron

Aaron, did you happen to take some pics of the close up of the new crew chief avionics boxes?

I was just curious about how the are mounted,either to the pilot seat frames or stand alone mounted to the floor.

Thanks!

Tim