how do you take the edge off of gloss paint scemes?

I am working on a 1:48 scale F-4D Phantom of the Minnesota ANG in the ADC Gray scheme. I used MM Acryl Aircraft Gray (The only game in town), but in my opinion, it is really too glossy for this scale. I plan on giving it a clear coat of future to seal the decals. Then I want to try spraying it with an acrylic semi-gloss topcoat to take the edge off of the gloss. My reasoning is that this method typically works well when using a flat clear coat for finishing flat camoflage paint scemes. Anyone else face this dilemma? Would this work in creating semi-gloss/satin finishes?

Edited by Marc0514

My main collection I'm building is 1/72 US Navy and Marines aircraft. As a result, a lot of my builds are in the overall glossy sea blue scheme, but in 1/72 I think that high gloss sheen is too much. After the decals and remaining parts are on, I finish each with an overcoat of semi-gloss to tone things down so the planes aren't so shiny.

You can always hit it with some fine steel wool (new pad), it'll keep a hard finish and knock down the gloss.

Curt

Curt,

I've used steel wool to rub out stains and varnishes on wood, but there is always a ton of steel wool shavings that get everywhere and are a pain to completely using a tack cloth. When you use steel wool on a model do you have this issue as well?

Joel