Natural Metal/Aluminum F-105 Thunderchief

The earliest deployments of Thuds to SEA were in aluminum (paint, not natural metal). I don't know the squadrons without digging, but I'll be if you do some searching you'll find photos. Both Ds and Fs. As I recall, all they had on the tails were TAC badges on lightning bolts, and possibly simple single or double color bands near the tops of the fins. Antiglare over the nose and back along the spine was olive drab.

Not clearly in SEA, but this photo shows how they looked:

https://jetpilotoverseas.wordpress.com/2010/11/19/f-105-vietnam-crisis-mid-1960s/

The F-105s were painted silver, not bare metal. A good friend of mine was once an F-105 crew chief in the 1960s in Europe and Vietnam. They did try an experiment in Europe where an aircraft going through depot level maintenance was left unpainted in polished metal to see how it would hold up. About two weeks later due to the humid European climate, the finish was completely dull and oxidized. So they ended up painting it to match the other planes.

Actually, the F-105's were natural metal until around 1961 - 62, when they started painting them in aluminium lacquer to help weatherproof the airplanes.

You can usually see the difference in panel texture on natural metal F-105's, especially around the nose / cockpit area. HTH. :cheers:

Edited by hooter