F-35A Lightning II Wingtip Nav lights

Does anyone have a good close-up picture of the wingtip Nav lights on a Lockheed F-35 Lightning II PRODUCTION (not X-model) aircraft. I'm building a 1/72 Hasegawa F-35A, and the instructions call for painting the color red/blue on the flat top/bottom surfaces of the wing, then gluing on the clear lens bubble.

However, pics from a distance seem to show No color when the lights are not turned on, leading me to believe that they are in fact LED arrays, and that only the silver of the metal parts would be seen thru the clear lens at other times.

I'm trying to find out whether any color should be shown under the light lenses (other than silver), or whether, if they are bulb lights, should a hole be drilled into the underside of the light lenses, then filled with appropriate color to properly represent them.

Any and all help appreciated.

TheRealMr...Ed

If you combine:

F-35C Sea Trials

and

F-35C Sea Trials

it looks like you should have an idea of what the internal structure looks like. But in most photos it just looks like highly-reflective silver. So I guess it depends on what effect you are going for.

• 1 month later...

All of the lights on the F-35 are LED. The lens that cover the NAV lights are a very light smokey gray color that almost looks clear. There is a silver and white backing underneath the lenses that you can see in the day light. You dont see any color until the lights come on. The NAV lights are also split in half with the front half of the light being the green or red LED and the rear of the light being the bright white Strobe. I dong have a great picture but it will have to do. Sorry Im so late to the game with this info.

DSC_0027_zpsyvcwsg2a.jpg

1912073_10152410793270404_8979825401070291688_n_zpsm7vziti5.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I had not been able to find any different info than what you stated, so that's the way I built my model, basically silver and white under the glass. Guess I'll have to get a good picture if I can ever get to another good airshow.

TheRealMr...Ed

Edited by TheRealMrEd

Silver and white is sufficient enough to get by in 1/48 scale. Even at a wing tips glance in person you would never know the difference. You did great in your decision. I will be posting a whole lot of pics soon of the F-35 as soon as I can get access to the Parking lot. If you need any other pics or assistance in further builds feel free to message me. JOSH

I took this photo last week at Eglin, port wingtip of an F-35A, I think it was tail # 10-5013. I don't know the story on the black dots, they look like they were hand-drawn with a Sharpie marker.

BxzeXsP.jpg

• 4 years later...

Hi JP,

As you might suspect, my F-35B has long since been finished.  I do think however, that it would be good to post those pictures here for other modelers yet to come, particularly those working in larger scales than my 1.72nd effort.

Thanks for offering them...

Ed

Disregard the red/blue indications in the Hasegawa instructions, if anything the colors should be red(port)/green(starboard).

however like Habu wrote, silver  will be just fine, as those are colored led bulbs.

Edited by hemspilot