Top Gun/US Navy Aggressors

Hi, I had trouble trying to use the search on here so I thought I'd start my first thread.

I'm building a US Navy fighter collection and as part of that I want to add some Top Gun and Aggressor aircraft.

I know what aircraft were/are used at the Top Gun school by the instructors but what I'd like to know is this: do the Top Gun students use their own squadron aircraft or are these part of the Top Gun fleet itself?

• 1 month later...

..and just to be pedantic, the Navy has "Adversary" units; "Aggressors" is an Air Force term.

Harv, former VFC-13 'Fighting Saints' adversary guy

Edited by Harv

They bring their own aircraft from the Squadron.

They also bring engineers plus armourers etc.

Engineers? Ain't no engineers in the Navy or the Marines! Engineers are eggheads with slide rules.

Them's called "plane captains" in 'Murca.

:)

Yep...true fact. And from the "there is a god" department: when they took Tom Cruise up for an F-14 ride, he tossed his cookies the whole time :)

Edited by Jennings

While we are in specifics: Top Gun is a movie. Topgun was the nickname of the, then called, NFWS.

I don't know, look how they painted it on the building ...

tga4s.jpg

-Gregg

When I have talked to pilots from VFC-12, they've said they use the term aggressors, it's not just an Air Force term. I dont think the pilots are that concerned with distinct terminology.

PILOTS AINT MODELERS!!!!!! :monkeydance: :monkeydance: :monkeydance:

Yep...true fact. And from the "there is a god" department: when they took Tom Cruise up for an F-14 ride, he tossed his cookies the whole time :)/>

If the stories are true, not only that, but he had been quite a, shall we say, handful, while at sea filming, and as a result they put him with some ex-Blue Angel that absolutely wrung him out.

I like seeing these old photos. I am writing this post from inside that very building!

I've been in those hangars I think, are they the Hell's Angels hangars?

We were next door when I was on TD with my Canadian Hornet Squadron.

A hanger full of HARLEYS?????? Hope my goverment ain't paying for it!---John

Imagine if the US Army had selected the Flying Merkel (arguably a better motorcycle in 1915) rather than the Harley-Davidson? Somehow "Merkel Hog" doesn't quite have the same ring to it...

Just out of curiosity which one of these "squadron emblems", term used very loosely, was suppose

to be on Maverick's plane at the end of the movie when he downed 3 Migs? I know VF-1 ain't really

"thunder chickens" and VFA-213 Fist patch is really VFA-25 flying F/A-18 Hornets.

Never really could figure if he was flying side number 104 or 114, also they showed his plane being

headed to the cat, but it sure looked like an A-6 to me. Also I read that the Aardvarks did some

flying scenes, but I don't remember seeing any Aardvark emblems, anteater animal, on the tails.---John

Top%20Gun%20Movie%20decals%20for%20F-14_zpstv4ngm2m.jpg

Edited by john53

I've been in those hangars I think, are they the Hell's Angels hangars?

We were next door when I was on TD with my Canadian Hornet Squadron.

Do you mean VMFA-235 Death Angels?

-Gregg

... when they took Tom Cruise up for an F-14 ride, he tossed his cookies the whole time :)/>

I find that reaction perfectly reasonable.

Regards,

Murph