RVNAF A-1H Skyraider 11/70 in 1/72

Finally completed today is my 1/72 A-1H Skyraider in South Vietnamese markings from Tan Son Nhut, ca 11/1970. This is a kit by a brand I have never seen before called "Tsukada models" (kit # WP01) japanese origin. Anyway, the decals are Cutting Edge and overall it went together well. The kit decals were Ok, but not as good as the Cutting Edge. Any errors are mine. I always was curious about RVNAF machines, and wanted to find out more about Skyraiders - so I achieved two things at once (and also buy another A-1H for a future build). It was fun to do the SEA scheme and find out about the weapons loading and do the research. Enjoy! - Adam

AH-1%20Skyraider%20VNAF%20515SQ%2011-1970%20stbd%20front_zpsi1mn9bir.jpg

AH-1%20Skyraider%20VNAF%20515SQ%2011-1970%20rear%20left_zpsfcdhhsl1.jpg

AH-1%20Skyraider%20VNAF%20515SQ%2011-1970%20stbd%20close_zpsogs3yjwx.jpg

AH-1%20Skyraider%20VNAF%20515SQ%2011-1970%20front%20low_zpsonz8ayc4.jpg

Edited by scooter

I've got one of these kits in the stash as well. Was wondering if anyone else had built one. Looks pretty straight forward. Any snags?

Nice work on the VNAF bird. Looks the part quite well.

-Jeff

Thanks Jeff. No issues. Cockpit is bare but the overall fit is very good, as was the weapons array. The decals were usable but just not what I wanted. I would build it again with no worries. Cheers - Adam

Good work on the A-1. It's nice to see some Vietnamese aircraft now and then. I have a A-1 standing by with different markings from a V.N.A.F. commander after I finish my current project.

I did make a 1/72nd Monogram A-1E in the same markings for a V.N.A.F. pilot who flew them until the end of the war.

Tsukada was putting out models back in the 80s and did a lot of kits of the various animated S.F. series that were popular at the time as well as standard types of models. Usually they were fairly well made kits and I wish I still had them.

Edited by ikar

The Tsukuda (note spelling - not "Tsukada") Spad dates from the early to mid 1990s. Around the same time the Hasegawa kit came out IIRC.

Edited by Jennings

Finally completed today is my 1/72 AH-1 Skyraider in South Vietnamese markings from Tan Son Nhut, ca 11/1970. This is a kit by a brand I have never seen before called "Tsukada models" (kit # WP01) japanese origin. Anyway, the decals are Cutting Edge and overall it went together well. The kit decals were Ok, but not as good as the Cutting Edge. Any errors are mine. I always was curious about RVNAF machines, and wanted to find out more about Skyraiders - so I achieved two things at once (and also buy another AH-1 for a future build). It was fun to do the SEA scheme and find out about the weapons loading and do the research. Enjoy! - Adam

------------------------------------

Nice VNAF Spad, I'm glad you did it...and with a good job on a very 'old' kit, I think 1/72 scale Hobbycraft was the same kit? that what I think!

let_models :)

Finally completed today is my 1/72 AH-1 Skyraider in South Vietnamese markings from Tan Son Nhut, ca 11/1970. This is a kit by a brand I have never seen before called "Tsukada models" (kit # WP01) japanese origin. Anyway, the decals are Cutting Edge and overall it went together well. The kit decals were Ok, but not as good as the Cutting Edge. Any errors are mine. I always was curious about RVNAF machines, and wanted to find out more about Skyraiders - so I achieved two things at once (and also buy another AH-1 for a future build). It was fun to do the SEA scheme and find out about the weapons loading and do the research. Enjoy! - Adam

AH-1%20Skyraider%20VNAF%20515SQ%2011-1970%20stbd%20front_zpsi1mn9bir.jpg

AH-1%20Skyraider%20VNAF%20515SQ%2011-1970%20rear%20left_zpsfcdhhsl1.jpg

AH-1%20Skyraider%20VNAF%20515SQ%2011-1970%20stbd%20close_zpsogs3yjwx.jpg

AH-1%20Skyraider%20VNAF%20515SQ%2011-1970%20front%20low_zpsonz8ayc4.jpg

Very nice Skyraider ! You did a superb job .

PS I think Skyraider designation is A1-H not AH-1 (which is Cobra) .

Edited by C7A

Ooo, my editor juices are stirring. The proper designation is A-1H (note hyphen placement).

The Tsukuda kit came out in 1983, actually (I reviewed it in the May/June 1984 issue of FineScale Modeler), and was reboxed by HobbyCraft Canada shortly afterward. Before it came out, the only single-place AD kits in the scale were the old Airfix and the old and slightly oversize (1/70 maybe?) Fujimi. Testor reboxed the Fujimi kit, and MPC reboxed the Airfix kit. There was also the IMC Skyraider with "battle damage" but that was an awful modification of the old Monogram A-1E kit. They copied the Monogram but removed the wide-body greenhouse and plopped on a single-seat bubble canopy. They didn't change the station-wagon's wide fin to the more slender tail of the single-seaters.

Hasegawa's kit is the cream of the crop. It may not be "perfect," but it's much better than all the others.