UH-60A - time to walk the walk...

Progress update: In order to close the gap between the instrument panel glare shield and the lower edge of the windshield, I decided to try cutting some wine foil to shape as a cover over the existing glare shield, except I left it longer at the front to block light from above. That still didn't close the gap between windshield frame and glare shield, but it blocked light from above.

20160720_230521.jpg

Trying to figure out how to shim the foil glare shield to close that gap by adjusting the slope angle of the new glare shield cover, I discovered that if I just put a plastic tab at the front to rest on top of the forward cockpit firewall, I would then block the light from above as well as make the forward glare shield edge flush with the lower windshield edge.

20160720_230938.jpg

Result:

20160720_231131.jpg

I think it might finally be time to start generating an intermediate and tail rotor gear box to be seen through the gear box cover vents...

-Ramon

• 1 year later...

I never really liked Photobucket due to the extreme lag, pop-ups and general overall clunkiness of use, but now I really hate them for breaking almost everyone's threads and ruining access to excellent reference material.  I am for damn sure not going to pay them $400 to use my own photos! 

It is a big time suck to have to reconnect each of these photos so I won't be able to fix this thread soon but one day I will fix it, even if only little by little.  In the meantime, I am making the images available on flickr for anyone who wants to see them:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24647609@N05/albums/72157684414473821

Pretty soon I will resume this build... I just need to manufacture an intermediate gear box and tail rotor gear box and then I can slap this sucker together!

-Ramon

Edited by anvil6

Love your soundoroofing blanket bro! Good luck with the gearboxes. Make em and cast em for us rotorheads!!!

Man, I need to pick up my build again, AFTER I fix all my build pics also!!! Me, I went with imgur for my pic hosting.

Tim

6 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

Love your soundoroofing blanket bro! Good luck with the gearboxes. Make em and cast em for us rotorheads!!!

Man, I need to pick up my build again, AFTER I fix all my build pics also!!! Me, I went with imgur for my pic hosting.

Tim

Thanks Tim!  i will have to make them the old fashion way, but maybe within a few years I will have the hardware to make 3d prints instead!

-Ramon

10 hours ago, salvador001 said:

Oh wow, that is looking amazing bro, i thought you cancelled this one. Good to know you resume it. 

Rod.

Thanks Rod! Not cancelled, just procrastinating.  I really need to get back on it soon though, i feel like I am losing my mojo with the fixed wing projects I am currently working on.

• 1 month later...

OK, time to resurrect this thread.  Despite my lack of plastic progress, I have not been neglecting this build.  In fact, the intermediate gear box that has been holding me up is what I am working on, except I think I might try my hand at the 3d printing thing.  Anybody, seriously ANYBODY with 3d printing experience that can give me some advice regarding my model, 3d printing limitations or anything else, Shapeways, I would be extremely grateful.  I know 3d models, but the printing thing is totally new to me.  ANYWAYS, this is what I have so far.  I am not done, but I am open to feedback...

23495041438_85108e74bf_h.jpgIntGB_progress_001 by Ramon Lomeli, on Flickr

36676774313_3048b3c569_h.jpgIntGB_progress_002 by Ramon Lomeli, on Flickr

And a view of my target, courtesy of a pal of mine that still has access:

37299336396_4ade3262f2_h.jpg21104436_10213642872296384_875761963_o by Ramon Lomeli, on Flickr

if I am successful at this, I will move onto the Tail Rotor gear box, and if that is successful, I may have more parts for print and sale down the road - wish me luck!

-Ramon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Progress on my gear box has been sloooooooow....  I have been looking at 3d printing tutorials and have discovered that building a 3d model for games or animation is different than building for print.  I have had to start over a few times, and I also have to decide if I want to just build enough to be seen through the grill, or give the modeler the option to take off the intermediate gear box cover and expose the entire assembly. I am leaning towards, at least for now, for the sake of completion, I will just offer enough gearbox to be seen through the screen.  Anyone have any thoughts?  Anyone?  Bueller?  Buellllllller?

38146925712_177f24b139_o.jpgUH60_int_gb_try_03 by Ramon Lomeli, on Flickr

-Ramon