UH-60A - time to walk the walk...

ok, far from perfect, and aside from a few touch ups and the levitating ICS cords, the pilot/copilpot seats are done. Also had the Kings game on my phone because its saturday night, and i am one wild and crazy guy...

_web_P1010849.jpg

_web_P1010859.jpg

_web_P1010860.jpg

_web_P1010868.jpg

_web_P1010870.jpg

_web_P1010873.jpg

_web_P1010875.jpg

-Ramon

Oh man, those seats are fantastic, they do look like the real deal. Hope mine turns as good as yours.

Rod.

Thanks Rod! And meanwhile, here I am hoping my stuff turns out as nice and well finished as your Lakota! :D

Cheers!

-Ramon

Ramon, have you realize that when you join the fuselage halves with the cabin, it leaves huge gap between the floor and the ceiling? If so, how you gonna fix this? Im curious as i dont know how im gonna do it myself.

Rod.

Hi Rod! yep, i have noticed that there are gaps between the floor and fuselage, as well as a vertical gap during test fitting and I have been playing out different ways of fixing it in my head but I will probably wing it when I get there. The first thing I did regarding this is to file down the plastic square that surrounds the cargo hook area underneath the floor down to half of its length. This will at least align the floor level with the bottom of the cabin door frame.

Hook_help.jpg

As for the gap that will be on either side of the floor and the fuselage part, I may shim it with plastic before assembly, or I may assemble it and then fill it with Milliput, or I may assemble it and cover it with wine foil or sheet plastic. I will play around with it when I get there and see which method seems most effective and post my results. There are a million ways to skin a cat, and I would love to hear from others who have successfully crossed this bridge already :)

-Ramon

last night I helped my 9 year old son log some airbrush time. i showed him how to turn on the air compressor and mix the paint, and also had him practice painting lines and exercising control with the paint vs air output and then just let him have at it. it was cool to watch him have fun and learn, but by the time he was off to bed, I didnt have much time to work on my stuff. Hence today's progress report is minimal. I started adding legs to the map board made from aluminum tubing, cut and repositioned the copilot's collective to pose it in the stowed position, and finished main assembly of the map board tablet. hopefully, more interesting pics will follow tonight!

20160404_223659.jpg

-Ramon

Thats great!

You know, i was looking the other day the Eduard photoetch, and i realize it lacks of the 90 degree tail rotor transmission mesh, they have included only the two small 42 degree mesh. I really dont know what they were thinking of not including this piece. How will you do it? The new MH-60 set has it, i think ill grab this set.

Rod.

Thats great!

You know, i was looking the other day the Eduard photoetch, and i realize it lacks of the 90 degree tail rotor transmission mesh, they have included only the two small 42 degree mesh. I really dont know what they were thinking of not including this piece. How will you do it? The new MH-60 set has it, i think ill grab this set.

Rod.

I still dont know if i will work up the courage to replace those screens. I cant do one without doing the other, and I have been trying to figure out how I would build the intermediate and tail rotor gear boxes in a way that will look cool through the mesh, but not bog me down in OCD purgatory trying to recreate stuff that wont be seen. If I do open those gear box covers up though, I have some generic eduard stock steel mesh that will do the trick.

-Ramon

I still dont know if i will work up the courage to replace those screens. I cant do one without doing the other, and I have been trying to figure out how I would build the intermediate and tail rotor gear boxes in a way that will look cool through the mesh, but not bog me down in OCD purgatory trying to recreate stuff that wont be seen. If I do open those gear box covers up though, I have some generic eduard stock steel mesh that will do the trick.

-Ramon

Take the plunge my friend. Moving forward in modeling is trying new things we are not comfortable with.

You will see some shapes inside once you cut out yours. This is how much u see inside.20160320_164444_zpslfsc8j1d.jpg

Edited by Rotorman

Take the plunge my friend. Moving forward in modeling is trying new things we are not comfortable with.

You will see some shapes inside once you cut out yours. This is how much u see inside.20160320_164444_zpslfsc8j1d.jpg

Dude, thanks for the words of encouragement and inspiration - that's what these kinds of forums are all about! I think that I will take the plunge - what better way to grow as a modeler, right?! :)

Tonight's progress comes with a hopefully more interesting photo - a bit more leg action is happening underneath the map board. aluminum tubing and stock plastic strip. Next up, i finish the cross bracing on the legs and print out a map of MND-North before cutting out the clear plastic map cover and final paint...

20160405_213912.jpg

20160405_213837.jpg

20160405_213829.jpg

-Ramon

latest news: I cut out some wine foil to represent the vinyl fod covers underneath the pilots seats. When I was fitting the cover over the Copilots radio bays I noticed that as I predicted, nothing would be visible in the radio bays. Rather than trying to figure out how to scratch build the master brake cylinders under the Pilot's seat, i just fitted the cover and called it good.

20160410_171101.jpg

20160410_171545.jpg

20160410_171730.jpg

Also, I added cross braces and a coat of paint to the map board table in the back, cut the Copilot's collective to be in the stowed position, and painted the emergency sling load release button on the collectives. I will need to do some touch up on the one side...

20160410_203852.jpg

20160410_203906.jpg

Cheers!

-Ramon

Edited by anvil6

Coming along great brother. I too thought about detailing the boxes under the pilot's seats, but after watching your build of the cockpit, I think ill just do the same thing you've done.

Sorry, but I'll be going to school alot on your hawk build, I ordered my MH-60M detail set the other day, so when it comes in, I'll be starting back up on my build.

Tim

...I ordered my MH-60M detail set the other day, so when it comes in, I'll be starting back up on my build.

Tim

Looking forward to seeing your build and learning some new tricks!

You can't have too many Black Hawks on this forum!

-Ramon

Edited by anvil6