UH-60A - time to walk the walk...

This morning I rebuilt the cyclic sticks. The kit ones had too sharp of a bend. The ones I made are maybe not perfect either but a little bit better. At first, I tried to just bend the kit plastic but it just broke, so out come the paper clips. I drilled a hole into the kit cyclic base, whittled some plastic away from the corners so it doesnt appear so boxy, drilled a hole into the resin Cobra Company grips and now they are assembled. Next up, paint and a pinky switch and then i can move on to the rudder pedals and instrument panel...

20160422_110740.jpg

20160422_113106.jpg

20160422_115052.jpg

-Ramon

Those Cyclics are great. Ill copy your technique and tonight ill modify mines.

BTW, do you have a good photo of the back wall of the cabin? Specially showing all the details.

Thanks.

Rod.

Thanks Rod! I will look through my photos and seed if I have any good ones of the back wall and get back to you. Going by memory though, the hell hole covers are recessed, and the APU pump handle is stored on the back wall, lower, between the outboard left and inboard left troop seats...

Ramon, when did they modify the APU accumulator manual pump by moving it from the back wall to the left side above the cargo door?

Tim

Don't know. I didn't even know they did that, but I wish they had it when I was in. I have had to unpack the gear and passengers on more than one occasion to pump that accumulator!

So did I. I only noticed it through looking at new pics. I remember we would initiate the new warrant officers by flipping on the heater switch on the upper console so when he turned the APU on, it dumped the accumulator.

That's when I would say "you dump it, you pump it!" I thought it was pretty funny, they didn't. Oh well-funny is funny.

Tim

So did I. I only noticed it through looking at new pics. I remember we would initiate the new warrant officers by flipping on the heater switch on the upper console so when he turned the APU on, it dumped the accumulator.

That's when I would say "you dump it, you pump it!" I thought it was pretty funny, they didn't. Oh well-funny is funny.

Tim

Ahh yes, fun with new guys! I miss doing that kind of stuff too...

I sent a couple of new guys inside the hangar to get me the keys to the gust lock...

:-D

-Ramon

I have a cunning plan...

So I glued a small piece of scrap plastic onto the stick, under where the pinky switch would go. Then I wrapped some copper wire around it and twisted a pig tail on the top side, then smooshed it flat with pliers, then coated it with clear plastic glue (a specially diluted type of white glue). Let's see if this will pass after I paint it...

20160425_233015_1.jpg

UH-60A cyclic sticks next to another build in progress, a 1/48 scale AH.7 Lynx

-Ramon

Paperclip huh? Nice trick. I'll have to use that one. They look cool. Tell us how you build the pinky switch.

Tim

Thanks Tim! If i had to do it again, I would use one of the smaller radius bends from the paper clip. as for the pinky switch, i am totally winging it!

-Ramon

Looks kickin bro! Totally cool.

Keys to the gust lock huh? I never thought of that one. We always sent the newbies to go the 1st Sgt and get the keys to the basement of the hangar and get us some flightline.

What was cool about was that Top played along with it and sent them on a wild goose chase.

Aaah the old days of working on helos and flying.

Tim

So today I finished up my cyclic sticks. I even added the little zip ties that held the wiring harness for the pinky switch to the actual stick itself. I couldn't remember if they were black or white, but just to make things more interesting I elected to make my zip ties a bit more visible...

20160429_163232.jpg

Next up,I paint the first aid kits and move on to the yaw pedals and behind the instrument panel.

-Ramon

Edited by anvil6

Thanks guys! It's the power of suggestion that helped me pull this one off, along with some contaminated paint. :-) for the zip ties I used some appropriately sized copper wire (I just eyeballed it again. I don't know what size wire,I just used what looked right from a bunch of scrap electrical wires laying around on my work bench) and wrapped it around the stick, twisted the loose ends like a pig tail on safety wire, and then cut the end kind of short. Then I painted it with a tiny brush and some Floquil reefer white, that is now more of a reefer cream since I once did a bad job of cleaning my brush. I meant to take pictures of this step but it all came together faster than I realized...

-Ramon

• 2 weeks later...

Just to back up Ramon on the seat back differences, I found a pic in my WWP walk around book of a UH-60. It's dated 1994.

0510162208_zpsndsboxua.jpg

Sorry for the clarity of the pic, but it's an old book, but great for references. Don't know if it's still available or not.

Tim

Just to back up Ramon on the seat back differences, I found a pic in my WWP walk around book of a UH-60. It's dated 1994.

0510162208_zpsndsboxua.jpg

Sorry for the clarity of the pic, but it's an old book, but great for references. Don't know if it's still available or not.

Tim

Crew dog's got my back! :D thanks dude!

by the way, what book is that? i would like to look around for it online or in a swap meet...

-Ramon

• 2 weeks later...

so i took a bit of a break to make progress on another build that turned into a tribute build but that one is on slow burn so back to the Hawk...

20160524_210339.jpg

first off i started building the cover that goes over the battery behind the copilot seat. using my calibrated Mk.1 iBall, i cut some sheet plastic to make the cover at .5" wide by .25" high by .25" deep. once the glue fully cures and the plastic is hard and dry again, i will file down the edges to get a nice round bevel.

Next, I took a page from the book of Hawkwrench 3:56 and decided to add some detail to the firewall between the avionics compartment in the nose and the cockpit. Not exactly accurate, but I wanted something just barely visible to be suggested through the chin bubble. I scraped the paint away from the plastic so i could get a good bond, then laid down stock plastic strip for relief.

20160524_225809.jpg

Being too lazy to get up out of my chair and dig through my spares box, I looked around at what came with the kit and saw that parts B41 could, with a little minor surgery, pass for the blue anodized valve thingies (I think they connect the pitot tubes and airspeed indicators somehow) on the wall in front of the instrument panels.

Result:

20160524_231842.jpg

Also visible are the first aid kits I made from Milliput, installed on the seats. The white circles were Vallejo white shot though a draftsman template with my airbrush. The red crosses are hand painted with a small brush and a steady hand (Thanks Mr. Tanquerey!)

All thats missing from the seats is the Copilot's fire extinguisher. i might start working on that next...

-Ramon

Edited by anvil6