1/48 Italeri Hawker Typhoon 1B

Hi folks,

After a 4 month hiatus from modelling due to work sending me all over the world, I’ve finally found some time at the bench. I wanted a fairly quick and easy build so I picked up the Italeri 1/48 Hawker Typhoon 1B, which I believe is a re-box of the Hasegawa kit. I know next to nothing about these aircraft so I pretty much went OOB, save for adding some padding and harnesses to the seat belts, the ignitor wiring for the rockets, and the antenna to the rear fuselage. The fit of the fuselage insert and lower wings was not great and needed a decent amount of filler, sanding and some re-scribing. Otherwise the kit was very nice.

I went with one of the kit schemes, ZY-Y from 247 SQN, France, June 1944 (I read that the Typhoon only carried the ‘full’ invasion stripes for a very short time during and after D-Day, so I weathered the stripes slightly less). I masked and painted the stripes, national markings and codes. Paint was mainly gunze acrylics, except for the Ocean Grey, which was my first go at using Lifecolour acrylics (which I had no dramas with whatsoever – they even brush paint very nicely).

HT012_zpsciciqzqq.jpg

HT011_zps802s2sqt.jpg

HT010_zpspkzqr5cy.jpg

HT013_zps6ofpmocu.jpg

HT015_zps5xlhmxlz.jpg

HT014_zpsvjeyspti.jpg

HT017_zpsjm51bet9.jpg

HT016_zpsuinuzj4c.jpg

HT018_zpssuuuhca1.jpg

HT019_zpsmvwkfkdp.jpg

Awesome looking Tiffy :thumbsup: ! Nice crisp camouflage, tasteful weathering, sharp construction, nice photos. Winner in my books. Well done Sir!

Regards,

Don.

• 6 months later...