F/A-18C Hornet - Swiss Air Force

So my TIEs are finally completed and it's time to start this bird! As I've said before, I'll be building a Hornet, that I had a pleasure to see and shoot at (with my N-ikon) at Axalp in 2009!

Will start building her tomorrow, so no in progress photos as of yet, but here's a photo of what I'll be using for this build.

TIE-15-9.jpg

And one of the pics I took of this bird

72.jpg

Edited by Sebastijan

Thanks for the heads up, MiG-Mech. I just checked the sizes and it appears that decals are a tiny bit taller than the plastic, maybe 0.5mm or so, while the leading edge and trailing edge match up. Shouldn't be a problem in the end, I think...

Fantastic Sebastijan! It is great to see your build starting up in the GB. It will be cool to see your Academy build compared to my Hasegawa version. We should met half way and photograph them together! :lol:/>

I think it is very cool that you have seen the actual Hornet at an Air Show, can't get a better reference than that!

Have fun modeling

Mike

:cheers:/>

Thanks for the heads up, MiG-Mech. I just checked the sizes and it appears that decals are a tiny bit taller than the plastic, maybe 0.5mm or so, while the leading edge and trailing edge match up. Shouldn't be a problem in the end, I think...

Okay, so I hope it will work out. :)

• 2 weeks later...

That Eduard PE realy makes the seat and the cockpit look better. Can't wait for some more of Your updates :) I have a feeling this will be a very nice Hornet ;)

There's one thing though, if You want it. I've noticed, that on completed Academy Hornet models the ejection seat sits much too low. The top of the headrest should almost reach all the way up to the canopy. I always add some plastic under the seat, and install it after the model is pretty much assembled, so I can check it against the canopy, or lately, as the very last thing left to complete.

Cheers! :cheers:

Thanks Thadeus!

I was trying to use Dr Pepper resin full length intakes, but simply there's no place for them inside the fuselage - no instructions are provided and it might be, they were designed for some other kit (Hasegawa?). I also have some fit problems with the nose cone - it simply won't fit as it should and I'll have to sand the area to the shape. Other things are shaping up nicely and I should start cutting wings, soon enough.

Thank you for the tip - seat is not fixed yet and I couldn't have noticed the position problem yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not as much modelling time as I would have liked but I just crossed a major milestone with this project.

885617_10206789163309710_3182353029422943546_o.jpg

As the decals were designed for Hasegawa bug, I expected some irregular fit. Inner decals were a tad too long and had to be trimmed at the bottom by around 1mm while the outer ones are a tad too short, but I'll have to live with that. I am very happy that one piece decal, after some persuading with hairdryer, conformed well to all the details sticking out of Hornet's tails. Now off to apply a gazillion No Step stencils :D

Sebastijan

This looks outstanding! :thumbsup:/> The tail decals look as good or better than my result on the Hasegawa kit. Well done! I think your Swiss Hornet will look great when finished. Hopefully, you will not have the same problems with some of the stenciling not staying attached to the model that I had.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

Well to be honest, I didn't bother to apply all the stenciling. I did on the upper part, but on the lower, the difference between the shades of grey is not contrast enough and if you want to see the stencils, you really have to have a close look. I haven't had any problems with stencils coming off, but I did have to use a bit stronger decal solvent to get rid of the silvering.

Fantastic Sebastijan!!!! :thumbsup:/> Your Swiss Hornet looks great! I really like the look of your completed model, well done! You have inspired me to try and get my Swiss Hornet finished by the end of the GB in about a week. It will be close!

Have fun modeling

Mike