Rick's CH-53E Super Stallion 1/48 scale.. Started Painting

Looking good. U should protect your clear parts

Thank you

I installed this front part not sure what it is with two electric cable or hydraulic hose .

Maybe someone will let me know

Enjoy

Rick

002_36.jpg

003_25.jpg

005_8.jpg

006_8.jpg

007_5.jpg

Edited by infofrog

I finished the second color . I thought it was little bright, like it stuck out like a sore thumb . So I took some Light ghost gray, highly thinned. I then sprayed that to tone down the Med. ghost gray .

I believe it looks so much better .

Enjoy

Rick

002_1.jpg

001_1.jpg

I spray another very high thin coat of paint to tone down the black . I did started some trim work but not to much . Weather here went very cold to 60 degrees I been outside today .

Enjoy

Rick

004.jpg

003.jpg

001_2.jpg

Edited by infofrog

You've been lucky then. The lack of a glosscoat is the issue. You should always put decals over a gloss layer so they lay down tightly and w/out any air under them, that is what causes the silvering (white finish under them). A flat or matt finish is microscopically rough and has small pockets that trap air, which causes the silvering and the decals to not stick well. After they are on and dry, you should put another glosscoat to level them out and seal them. Lastly, a dullcoat to flatten it all out again.

Edited by HeavyArty

A clearcoat over them now will not fix it. It will just make the parts that stick up brittle and lock the silvering in place.

You can try removing them with water and then redoing them after the glosscoat technique I talked about above. Another option is to use some thinned with water PVA glue (Elmer's school glue) applied around and under the raised decals to make them stick better. They will still likely silver though. Next time, using some decal set and solvent to get them to snug down will also help.

Edited by HeavyArty

I can suggest to apply Mr. Mark Softer or similar products over the silvering decals. I made this once and was able to save the decals. You may have to punch tiny holes into the decal to ensure the Softer liquid goes under the complete decal. But this stuff smoothly dissolve the decal, but not completely, and when the decal straightens again, it will hopefully lay smooth to the surface.

HAJO

Personally I would cut my loses with the decals already in place and remove them by whatever means. Source a new sheet and apply a gloss coat before re-decalling.

This build is a masterpiece in the making and you've put a lot of work into it, it would be wrong both to your skills and the model to continue with it as it is.