MIG-21 UM "stress team"

I have Always had a weak Point for this scheme on the 2-seat Mig-21.

In order to build one in 1/144 I used:

Eduard Mig-21

RetroKit Mig-21 UM resin conversion

Brengun photo etch

JBr decals

First of all I got a bad copy of the RetroKit resin fuselage and after some conversation and other postage mishaps I got a really nice new fuselage. A really great customer service from RetroKit, you are the ones!!

I didn´t like the aft fuselage of the resin copy so I cut that off and used the rear end of the Eduard plastic. The same thing was applied to the nose cone.

image_2.jpg

image.jpg

The fit of the resin and plastic parts between the canopy and fin was very rough. I filled it with plastic card and putty. Also a antenna was installled from a scrap airliner ecth.

image_1.jpg

I thought the Eduard seats were more qrisp and used them with the Brengun etch belts and ejection handle. The paint used for the cockpit was AKAN russian interior paint and the seats is Humbrom grey in different shades.

image_4.jpg

image_3.jpg

Then some antennas and landing gear doors were applied togehter with the front canopy.

image_5.jpg

image_6.jpg

The paint used for the model is grey Xtracolor toghether with yellow and light blue Humbrol paint. In the resin conversion you get a master to do your vac canopy, I made one to use as mask over the whole cockpit.

image_7.jpg

Once dried the decals were applied. The JBr decals are very thin but is no problem to use, they fitted the model really good.

image_8.jpg

The most difficult on the model was to install the alfa and beta vanes on the nose boom. Also there are a alfa vane on the side of the fuselage, it´s almost impossible to see it on model with the eyes.

image_9.jpg

After this I sued a semimatt clear coat and installed the canopy and landing gears.

And the model was finished.

image_10.jpg

image_11.jpg

I really enjoyed build, and I can recommend this conversion. It is a bit tricky but very rewarding when done.

Thanks

Tobias

Very nice but soooo small! :woot.gif:

That is fantastic. I would love that scheme on a big scale bird. How you guys build in 1/144 blows my mind.

+1! I have enough problems in 1/48 (as you get older I think we move up in scale. Haha). The details you brought out in this scale just blow me away! Most impressive work. I love the two seat 21 and the markings are so unique! Great work.

-Mark

Edited by taggor