My ex-father-in-law passed away this month; he flew B-24's. I was asked to write up a story he once told me from his youth, just before the war broke out, then thought some of you might also enjoy it. What makes it so funny is the fact that this was the slowest-speaking man I've ever known, with moves to match.

"In all the years I knew Vernie Mitchell, I only knew him as an unhurried, docile man who spoke slowly and deliberately. Therefore, it came as quite a shock when he told me a story revealing a wild, mischievous side to his youth.

Before the United States joined the World War II, Vernie was going to an all-boys’ college in east Texas; across town was the corresponding all-girls’ college. So it was that he and a number of his classmates hatched a plan to attack the girls’ dormitory. For this purpose they had several large cans of paint in their own school’s (boys) colors along with long-handled paint rollers.

Apparently the girls caught wind of the plan, because they were waiting en masse, hiding in the bushes. When the boys arrived they were surprised to find themselves completely surrounded by a huge mob of girls ready to defend their territory.

“We held them off pretty good until the fire extinguishers ran out,” was Vernie’s classic quote, describing a scene worthy of a Hollywood film. “Then they held us down, and BOY, did they paint us!!”

I always meant to ask him if this experience prepared him mentally for the upcoming war."

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

Andrew,

I am sorry for your loss and you have MY condolences.

and Thank you VERNIE for YOUR SERVICES... :salute::salute:

What a lovely story ..I was smiling to MYSELF as I read his exploits.

THANK YOU for sharing it ..

Enjoyed that

{I think you should put this thread in GD as its more likely that others will see it there and its a good feel story in a way too.}

Edited by HOLMES
  • 2 weeks later...