Best 1/72 F-86F Sabre kit?

Indeed, Fujimi's offering likely is still the best out there with the Academy/Hobbycraft one in a good second place (although you may have to source decals from the aftermarket as some of the early sheets aren't that good). The Fujimi kits might be a little tough to source though as they have been OOP for a bit.

Two low cost alternatives out there today are the Airfix and Hobbyboss kits. The Airfix kit (the currently offered new tool as opposed to the vintage Heller based one, which features a slatted wing) is pretty good in shape and general details, although it left off a couple small scribes that should be there. The Hobbyboss kit is snap construction, which can cause some minor issues with the build due to how it is designed, but it looks good in shape. Both kits also have some nice decal options out of the box with relatively good quality markings. A little more work might be involved to get these on par with an OOB built Fujimi, but you can pop out a very nice looking model from an Airfix kit in quick fashion and for a price that certainly won't break the bank.

BTW, if you are looking for a MiG-15 to compliment the Sabre, get the Eduard kit (Weekend edition will work fine for its cheap price). The Airfix Mig builds nice, but it has a lot of inaccuracies.

I don't know if it's just me but I think the Hobbyboss Sabre is slightly undersized. It looks smaller & the wingspan shorter when seen next to Fujimi & Academy Sabres.

I'd go with Fujimi if I were you. They're still the best.

Yes the new Airfix is a hard edge (non-slated) 6-3 wing which while nice was a bit disappointing initially as the RAF machines were originally Canadair Mk IV with the narrower wing and I was hoping for a new Canadair Mk IV kit. However, the RAF ones were re-winged with 6-3 wings and Airfix went with that version (equivalent to a Canadair Mk V) so that is what you get. The 6-3 wing actually partially extended onto the door to the ammunition trays and Airfix show this clearly on their separate door, something not shown on a 1/72 kit before to my knowledge. The Airfix is a decent hard edge 6-3 wing kit at a good price and I believe they have since released the kit with US markings.

The new Airfix kit has horribly Matchbox-esque trenches. Not one of their better recent efforts and nowhere near as nicely done panel line detail as the 30 year old Fujimi kit.

While deeper and more prominent than Fujimi's lines, "Matchbox-esque trenches" is, well, overstating it. I found the Airfix kit to be pretty decent, a little tough to fit some of the small parts if you want them closed (hmm. . . ), but my main problem is the framing on the bottom edges of the sliding canopy are way too thin. It's just a matter of masking and painting to solve it, really, but then I notice how much narrower the canopy is compared with Fujimi. Which one is right? Don't know, but suspect somewhere in the middle is more like it. Still, for under $12 in the U.S., the Airfix kit is a bargain.

Edited by Paul Boyer

Given the scale and the fact that so many Swords are natural metal, I find the Airfix panel lines to look very trench like. It looks like a toy. The Fujimi, and even the HC kits have much finer panel line detail on them.

Given the scale and the fact that so many Swords are natural metal, I find the Airfix panel lines to look very trench like. ... The Fujimi, and even the HC kits have much finer panel line detail on them.

I am in agreement with regards to the Airfix panel lines, esp when it comes to to NMF:

http://agapemodels.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/F-8612May2013005_zps9622eb52.jpg

http://agapemodels.com/2013/05/13/readers-gallery-dale-hutchinsons-172-airfix-f-86/

Having said that though, I think they (the deeper panel lines) might not be too obvious on camouflaged machines ( eg, some of the schemes on the new Hi-Decal sheet)

While deeper and more prominent than Fujimi's lines, "Matchbox-esque trenches" is, well, overstating it. I found the Airfix kit to be pretty decent, a little tough to fit some of the small parts if you want them closed (hmm. . . ), but my main problem is the framing on the bottom edges of the sliding canopy are way too thin. It's just a matter of masking and painting to solve it, really, but then I notice how much narrower the canopy is compared with Fujimi. Which one is right? Don't know, but suspect somewhere in the middle is more like it. Still, for under $12 in the U.S., the Airfix kit is a bargain.

I agree, the Airfix kit is a bargain, but also suffers from poor wheels, incorrect placement of the wing fences, and like all other F86A,E,F kits, have the fuel tank pylons in the wrong locations(too far outboard). To answer the original Q, my opinion is Fujimi, then HobbyCraft/Academy. Airfix in third, HobbyBoss would be in behind the old Heller(slatted) kit, as the HobbyBoss kit suffers from a bloated belly ala F86D.

But alas, Fujimi Sabres are hard to find.

Cheers, Tony

The Heller kit is still a descent one and cheap as an option.

I've read somewhere that the Heller's wings are too far swept behind. Also, I think someone once commented that the rear fuselage / exhaust area is too narrow. Having seen pics of built kits online, you are right in that it is a pretty decent kit.

I've read somewhere that the Heller's wings are too far swept behind. Also, I think someone once commented that the rear fuselage / exhaust area is too narrow. Having seen pics of built kits online, you are right in that it is a pretty decent kit.

Here is an old thread comparing Sabre fuselages and wings:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=184207

Cheers, Tony

• 5 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...