Great Wall Mig-29 9-12 Late Type

Hi,

So, in addition to the pylons and the fuel tanks, some GWH 9-13 batches have also the underfuselage mishaped ?

Can you post some pics about it ?

Edited by galfa

No, it's not misshapen. There were two very small auxiliary intakes on each engine nacelle that were (literally) about 2mm too far forward. They re-tooled the whole part to fix that. 99.999999% of people would never know the difference.

I would disagree here. If a company found that their parts were defective and did their best to replace them FOC, they might not gain anything financially but they will gain goodwill which to some would be considered worth more than cold hard cash as it promotes customer loyalty and generates even more goodwill via word-of-mouth. The retooling is probably a small price to pay for the increased sales in the future. They did the same with their F-15B/D kit if you can recall. And those were pretty large parts and not simply missile pylons.

Mark

Okay, goodwill is a good point. And it might work in some markets. But in the scale model market? Will the extra goodwill translate into extra sales, meaning extra cold hard cash (which is what every company is going for at the end of the day)? Looking at the potential market, I'd actually doubt that. Not in a market where "the latest is", almost automatically, "the greatest", where serious blunders - regardless of manufacturer - are overlooked. I'd say that the number of people who won't buy a kit unless it is absolutely, 100% correct is too small. Too small to offset the cost of retooling the not-so-accurate parts. The vast majority of people are perfectly okay with what the get in Great Wall's boxes (and at least in case of the Fulcrum, it's head and shoulders above the competition, short tanks and pylons or not). They're even perfectly okay with what they get in, say, a Trumpeter, Revell, Kitty Hawk or Academy box. To the vast majority of people, the kits are good enough.

That's not to say that manufacturers shouldn't strive to get things right right from the start, but it also shouldn't mean that Great Wall be punished for actually making their product better. And demanding replacements parts free of charge would be punishing due to the cost involved. If they sold the retooled parts at production cost to people who bought previous iterations of the kits, that would be fine.

Otherwise they will simply (be forced to) return to the way other manufacturers handle it, which is to not touch the moulds again.

And then there's the definition of "defective". Missing or broken parts should have to be replaced (assuming that the manufacturer is responsible). But something that's not 100% accurate? Where do you draw the line?

Edited by ChernayaAkula

Keep an eye out for Dragon USA Online. they are constantly running sales.

they currently have the latest Operation Sniper 9-12 on sale for $47.89

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks for the cranium up Pep, scooped mysel up one today...I think this might get bumped to the top of the build pile as I'm anxious to have one in my collection!

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted the on line hobby store from where I bought the kit, and they contacted GWH. All you need, if you would prefer to contact them directly is to take some photos of the "short" parts and send the pics to them, they´ll send you the replacements parts. That is what I call "good customer care and service", that put them in the same level as Airfix and Eduard. Both of them have an excellent customer service attention.

All you need, if you would prefer to contact them directly is to take some photos of the "short" parts and send the pics to them, they´ll send you the replacements parts.

Would you please post the contact information? I need to replace two sets...

Regards,

Would you please post the contact information? I need to replace two sets...

Regards,

marketing@lionroarmodel.cn

Sorry to sound snippy, but that took me less than thirty seconds to google. Probably less time than it took you to type that question.

marketing@lionroarmodel.cn

Sorry to sound snippy, but that took me less than thirty seconds to google. Probably less time than it took you to type that question.

Thank you. The fact you received great customer service means you knew which of the three e-mails I have was the one they would respond to; none were geared towards customer service. Actually, they were for contacts within the company to which I send reference images.

Regards,

Edited by sharkmouth

Thank you. The fact you received great customer service means you knew which of the three e-mails I have was the one they would respond to; none were geared towards customer service. Actually, they were for contacts within the company to which I send reference images.

Regards,

Hi!: You´ll have to e-mail to the shop where you bought it or to their e-mail, wich was posted here previously. In my case, the online hobby store made the request for the new parts ans GWH only wanted to have a photo of the wrong parts taken with a ruler next to them, to check that they were effectively the wrong ones and they wouyld send the replacements.

Best,

Juan

Hi!: You´ll have to e-mail to the shop where you bought it or to their e-mail, wich was posted here previously.

Good to know as I haven't heard from GWH using the e-mail provided.

Regards,