Hasegawa 1/48 F86F modified to a Canadair Sabre Mk5

This build is for a dear friend that has close ties to the real 'Hawk One' that graced our Canadian skies starting in 2009.

I started with the Hasegawa F86F-40 kit and will be using for aftermarket; Scobie-Do slatted wing, True Details wheels, portions of the Verlinden cockpit set, High Planes Canadair Sabre vents & scoops, a Wayne Hui mastered CT-114 Tutor seat, and Mike Grant drawn 'Hawk One' decals by Specialty Jets.

The first change I made was to the nose L/G leg. The kit leg is some sort of angled contraption that bears no resemblance to the real thing. I copied a Monogram lower nose leg that has a proper smooth curve to it, and superglued it in place below the nose scissors.

Dsc05702_zpsldu1rb4s.jpg

The instrument panel in Hawk One is all civilian insruments and the layout is unlike the military Sabre, so I used a photo of the panel that I took in 2009, used PaintShop Pro to remove perspective and distortion, reduced the image and printed it off on photo paper. That was superglued to plastic card.

Dsc05703_zpsdpqvtmcz.jpg

High Planes sugar scoops were glued in place and I have installed one of the engine vents as of today.

The area behind the seat under the canopy is poorly represented by Hasegawa, so I am modifying a piece of the Verlinden set as the modern day Sabre does not have the prominent Radio Compass Loop antenna. I will finish it up with shapes and channels of plastic stock.

Dsc05706_zpsn37sug10.jpg

DSC05707_zpsmbga2fjs.jpg

Cheers, Tony

Good luck with this project Tony. As you have been generous with your observations during my builds, let me pass on some information I have on these wings. Be careful with them. The tabs on the wings are fairly sensitive. Further, the resin seems to have shrunk as it cured. The dimensions are almost like that of a slatted F-86E / Sabre 2 wing. I had a few issues with the set wings I used on my project. The square locating holes for the main gear are too far back and too deep into the wing. Here are a couple of photos for comparison:

Kit wings

KitWells2.jpg

KitWells1.jpg

Scobie Do

ResinWells1.jpg

ResinWells2.jpg

There is also a huge gap on the bottom when mating the wings to the fuselage

WingGapBottom.jpg

Because this is a one piece wing and the gear bays are part of the wing assembly, you'll have to cut away some of the kit plastic in order to allow the wings to sit properly:

Before

Fuselage1a.jpg

After

Fuselage1b.jpg

The issues are not insurmountable but you will need to work these areas in order to get the wings and landing gear to sit properly. Ihope my observations help.

Mike

Good luck with this project Tony. As you have been generous with your observations during my builds, let me pass on some information I have on these wings. Be careful with them. The tabs on the wings are fairly sensitive. Further, the resin seems to have shrunk as it cured. The dimensions are almost like that of a slatted F-86E / Sabre 2 wing. I had a few issues with the set wings I used on my project. The square locating holes for the main gear are too far back and too deep into the wing. Here are a couple of photos for comparison:

There is also a huge gap on the bottom when mating the wings to the fuselage

The issues are not insurmountable but you will need to work these areas in order to get the wings and landing gear to sit properly. Ihope my observations help.

Mike

Thanks Mike for the pics of the Landing Gear attachment. I'll be extra diligent in that area. I have already chopped some plastic out of the fuselages to fit the wing, and I have a smaller gap than you show. Cheers, Tony

Edited by Snowbird3a
  • 5 weeks later...

Scobie-Do wing fitted, and what looked like an easy fit turned out to be somewhat harder. I didn't have a gap like Mike did, but there was quite a thickness difference. There was quite a step to fair in at the front and rear mating surfaces. The Scobie wing is mastered from an Academy wing and has a bit of a different thickness compared to the Hasegawa wing.

the flash changed the colour of the seat headrest, it's actually a bit darker blue than what's shown.

Almost ready for priming to check for surface imperfections;

Dsc05747_zpsg7kkwdqo.jpg

Dsc05755_zps7mvssumq.jpg

Cheers, Tony

Great project and nice work so far. The Sabre has always been a favorite of mine. I am looking forward to following your progress.

Regards,

Don.

I'm guessing I know who this is being built for, nice work so far. I didn't realize Scobie-Doo did the wing in 1/48.

I plan on mating the Sabre Dog wing to my F-86.

Say hello to our friend for me. I know he has been flying out of Comox lately. I've been chatting back and forth with him (assuming it is for the same person). :)

:woot.gif: Aw, Tony; that's such a noooiiiceee! findin' 'bout these Scobie-Do Productions 1/48 6-3 slatted wings for the F-86! Too late for me, tho, as I've already paid dearly for a Cuttin' Edge set on evil Bay... :crying2:

Incidentally, isn't it possible to just graft the Scobie-Do slats onto the Hasegawa wings? I'm intendin' to build an Argentine Air Force Sabre, which were F-30 airframes fitted with the slatted/extended wingtips.

Very interestin' build I'm surely gonna be followin' eagerly!

Cheers now,

Unc²

I'm guessing I know who this is being built for, nice work so far. I didn't realize Scobie-Doo did the wing in 1/48.

I plan on mating the Sabre Dog wing to my F-86.

Say hello to our friend for me. I know he has been flying out of Comox lately. I've been chatting back and forth with him (assuming it is for the same person). :)/>

Sorry Gary, this person doesn't fly unless it is commercial.

Tony

isn't it possible to just graft the Scobie-Do slats onto the Hasegawa wings?

Unc²

It certainly is possible, but that wasn't the route I took. I too, have a few Cutting Edge slat sets, I just wanted to try out this Canadian product to see how it would pan out. I also have the 'narrow wing' version of the Scobie-do in 1/48, and have used the 1/72 version already on a Sabre Mk2.

Looking great there Tony. Lots of super work going on. Nice tribute too. Look forward to seeing some paint on her. I too did not know that Scoobie Doo did this in 1/48 scale. I may have to do another Sabre :)

Cheers

Brad

• 3 weeks later...

That is coming along really nice! What paint did you use for the gold?

I had some fun mating one of those Scobie-Do wings not too long ago...to a Collect Aire resin F-86H! Good times, good times...

DSC_0046_zpsd9ff4f14.jpg

Edited by 82Whitey51

That is coming along really nice! What paint did you use for the gold?

Using the Sheffield Gold chip from the IPMS Canada Colour Guide, I found both Humbrol and Testors Gold to be too reddish. So, I had on hand some RubnBuff Gold and found that to be a very close match. However, the Rubnbuff would not stick to the sanded and polished primer I had used. Back to the mixing and I found that a 50-50 mix of Testors square bottle Yellow and Gold provided a very good facsimile. Two coats are sprayed on with some sanding and Micro-Mesh in between.

Silver RubnBuff is used on the leading edges and the slats are to be BareMetal Foil

nice F86H, by the way.

Cheers, Tony

Edited by Snowbird3a