With Airfix, Italeri & Revell releasing various marks of the Lancaster, Halifax, Sterling & Shackelton; why hasn't any of them done a Lincoln in 1/72nd scale? Also wondering the same thing about post war & Canadian Lancs with the Martin mid-upper & the FN twin .50s rear turrets?

Edited by afspret

Doing the Lanc as Canadian is not that hard. Just move the turret to the right spot and source a new bubble. If I remember correctly the B-25 works.

This is 1/48 scale.

DSC_0738-1.jpg

The Lincoln was never used in combat, and 99.9% of people have never heard of it.

Well, apart from all those bombing raids by RAF Lincolns in Aden and Malaya. . . .And all the Argentinian bombing raids against rebel forces in 1951 and by both government and rebel forces in 1955 . . . and the RAAF bombing raids in Malaya. . . . . apart from those. . yeah, it was never used in combat!

Edited by Dmanton300

The Lincoln was never used in combat, and 99.9% of people have never heard of it.

Rough translation: The Lincoln is not an aircraft that I am interested in so I will not help you with your question. Instead I will post a dismissive statement as is my habit.

I recall something that Stephen Coonts wrote in one of his Jake Grafton novels about "opinions" and where they sometimes emanate from. Jennings' opinions frequently fall into this category...

Darius

No, I happen to be very interested in the Lincoln as well. Don't make assumptions.

But it is a fact that the Lincoln was never involved in combat, and is not a particularly well known type.

Grow up a little. It's not all about you.

But it is a fact that the Lincoln was never involved in combat

Hmm....Wikipedia, at least, disagrees:

RAF: "RAF Lincolns were used in combat during the 1950s, in Kenya against the Mau-Mau, operating from Eastleigh, and also served in Malaya during the Malayan Emergency, against insurgents aligned to the Malayan Communist Party. In Malaya, Lincolns operated from Changi and Tengah, More than 3,000 sorties were flown during their 7 1⁄2-year deployment, with half a million pounds of bombs dropped. This equated to 85% of the bomb tonnage dropped during the Malayan emergency" (my emphasis)

RAAF: "RAAF Lincolns took part in operations in Malaya in the 1950s, operating alongside RAF examples. The RAAF based the B.Mk 30s of No.1 Squadron at Tengah, for the duration of operations in Malaya"

FAA: "The Argentine aircraft were used in bombing missions against rebels, during the attempted military coup of September 1951 and by both the government and rebel forces during the 1955 Revolución Libertadora coup that deposed Juan Perón"

So apart from those events, no, the Lincoln was never involved in combat. :bandhead2:/>/>

Edited by K5054NZ

No, I happen to be very interested in the Lincoln as well. Don't make assumptions.

But it is a fact that the Lincoln was never involved in combat, and is not a particularly well known type.

Grow up a little. It's not all about you.

Well, you certainly didn't know about its combat history. As to growing up - you invite ridicule, it would be rude not to accept.

It certainly is not all about you.

Darius

No Jennings, it's singularly NOT a fact. The facts are that it was used in combat in several theatres by the RAF alone. I will grant that it's not as well known as both it's younger and older siblings, but to say it was never involved in combat is simply and unequivocally WRONG I'm afraid.

Here is what the RAAF Museum thinks:

"Equipped with Lincoln bombers, No 1 Squadron moved to Singapore in 1950 and for the next eight years pounded enemy hideouts in the Malayan jungles. At the end of the Malayan Emergency, No 1 Squadron returned to Australia and converted to Canberra bombers. "

Shane

I know about Lincolns and even plan to make a model of the one built in Canada some day but some of you are going off on a tangent here to take shots at Jennings and miss the point. I don't view dropping bombs on "Natives" in the jungle while virtually unopposed, combat in the traditional sense. The Lincoln did not take part in any "real" war and is not well known. The Lincoln is really only a stretched Lancaster and there have been a number of conversions available over the years such that I can't imagine any major company making a actual kit of one but would love to be proved wrong. However, I'm not waiting for it and already have at least one conversion and kit to use it on. People waiting for a kit are probably dreaming......

P.S. I believe Hasagawa did one release of post war markings but I agree no one has done the "Type 85" merlin cowlings. Airfix also includes a twin 50 rear turret in their new kits as an option and aftermarket items have been done too.

Edited by RCAFFAN

I know about Lincolns and even plan to make a model of the one built in Canada some day but some of you are going off on a tangent here to take shots at Jennings and miss the point. I don't view dropping bombs on "Natives" in the jungle while virtually unopposed, combat in the traditional sense.

I'm not aware that the aircraft that have been dropping bombs in ISIS in Iraq and Syria for that last six or eight months have faced any real issues from ground threats either, so clearly they aren't involved in combat then by your standard. The fact is that the Lincoln saw combat use. You cannot simply redefine "combat" because you think it needs someone firing back (and those natives in Malaya and Aden, and I'll wager Argentina as well certainly WERE capable of firing back)to qualify as going in harm's way. So, you're fundamentally as wrong as Jennings on this issue. But, as ever, thanks for playing.

As well as various conversions mentioned previously, there are kits of the Lincoln in 1/72 scale from Contrail/Sanger, and also from Sanger in 1/48th - the latter I've built and it makes into a lovely model.

Tom

I don't view dropping bombs on "Natives" in the jungle while virtually unopposed, combat in the traditional sense. The Lincoln did not take part in any "real" war and is not well known.

By that yardstick anyone who flew sorties in OIF, OEF, El Dorado Canyon, or flew over South Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, or the early stages of WWI or the closing stages of WWII didn't see combat either.

I know about Lincolns and even plan to make a model of the one built in Canada some day but some of you are going off on a tangent here to take shots at Jennings and miss the point. I don't view dropping bombs on "Natives" in the jungle while virtually unopposed, combat in the traditional sense. The Lincoln did not take part in any "real" war and is not well known. The Lincoln is really only a stretched Lancaster and there have been a number of conversions available over the years such that I can't imagine any major company making a actual kit of one but would love to be proved wrong. However, I'm not waiting for it and already have at least one conversion and kit to use it on. People waiting for a kit are probably dreaming......

P.S. I believe Hasagawa did one release of post war markings but I agree no one has done the "Type 85" merlin cowlings. Airfix also includes a twin 50 rear turret in their new kits as an option and aftermarket items have been done too.

I think you'll find the enemy were well equipped communist insurgents. I think the term "natives" sounds a bit over the top and verging on racist! It sounds as is if you think all they bombed were local villages, may I remind this was the war that invented the hearts and minds tactics which ultimately was the key to success.

Seems you have some reading to do once you've had a cold hard look at yourself!

I don't view dropping bombs on "Natives" in the jungle while virtually unopposed, combat in the traditional sense.

Armed Chinese communist guerrillas <> "Natives"

I'm sure that the infantry battalions, artillery regiments and engineers in the jungle were sitting down to high tea and waiting for the "those demned natives" to go home for tiffin too.

Shane

Edited by sweier

But it is a fact that the Lincoln was never involved in combat,

You probably should have read Drewe's post first before posting this reply, especially as one who claims to be "very interested" in the type. Even I, as one who is not particularly interested in Lincolns, knew they were involved in combat in several conflicts.

This is why I often wish you wouldn't post - virtually every time I have seen a post of yours on an aircraft I know something about, you have gotten things wrong. You hold forth as if you know of what you speak but only muddy the waters with misinformation - and I have to assume this also holds true for subjects I don't know much about.

Which means when I see a decal sheet with your name on it, I have to give it a pass. If you can't get the basics of operational history, design or mechanics right, I can't trust that you are somehow getting lucky with the colors and markings.

Again I suppose it is your definition of combat but I put some sort of Danger into the equation and Lincolns never really faced that from what I can see from a brief review of the situation. While I didn't find much on Argentinian use, reports talk of unopposed bombing of Yemeni tribesman, flying bombing missions at 5,000 ft in Malaysia because the enemy had little or no anti-aircraft ability, and bombing tribesmen in Kenya after first dropping pamphlets saying were they were going to bomb such that they bombed empty fields as the targets moved. The records indicate the only Lincoln lost in combat was over East Germany to a Russian Mig 15 while the British were exercising their right to overfly and this was one sided too in that the British only started to carry ammunition to fight back after this incident. Let me make it clear that I wasn't knocking the Lincoln in any way but I hardly view these situations as flying into any sort of danger as nobody was fighting back against them. There were no losses in this so called combat and the only loss was when they were not actually fighting at all. These are hardly the situations that inspire people to talk about the Lincoln and want to build models so lets get real here.

As to some other foolish examples given here, planes were indeed flying into danger and credible anti aircraft systems and there were certainly legit loses right up to the unfortunate Jordanian pilot lost recently, but the Lincoln never really was in any danger....

Again I suppose it is your definition of combat but I put some sort of Danger into the equation and Lincolns never really faced that from what I can see from a brief review of the situation. While I didn't find much on Argentinian use, reports talk of unopposed bombing of Yemeni tribesman, flying bombing missions at 5,000 ft in Malaysia because the enemy had little or no anti-aircraft ability, and bombing tribesmen in Kenya after first dropping pamphlets saying were they were going to bomb such that they bombed empty fields as the targets moved. The records indicate the only Lincoln lost in combat was over East Germany to a Russian Mig 15 while the British were exercising their right to overfly and this was one sided too in that the British only started to carry ammunition to fight back after this incident. Let me make it clear that I wasn't knocking the Lincoln in any way but I hardly view these situations as flying into any sort of danger as nobody was fighting back against them. There were no losses in this so called combat and the only loss was when they were not actually fighting at all. These are hardly the situations that inspire people to talk about the Lincoln and want to build models so lets get real here.

As to some other foolish examples given here, planes were indeed flying into danger and credible anti aircraft systems and there were certainly legit loses right up to the unfortunate Jordanian pilot lost recently, but the Lincoln never really was in any danger....

Absolutely not one single bit of which changes the fact that it was used IN COMBAT OPERATIONS. Are you really that obtuse that you're going to argue the point even further having lost it from the first word you typed. Do you really think the crews of those aircraft would have walked away had their aircraft suffered some problem and come down whilst on these ops (see:-Jordanian F-16 that crashed but wasn't shot down)? Your attempts to redefine the term to match your specious argument aside, the aircraft was used in combat by at least three different operators in three different theatres. It's as simple as that. See? Simple. Not difficult. Simple. Your struggles with truth and logic are tiring.