Cougar Cockpit Buildup

Hi Gang!

Working on Kitty Hawk's single seat Cougar. Did anyone have issues trying to build up the cockpit especially trying to fit the side console's etch plates? It looks as though I'll need to trim some material off each side plate to get them to fit into place properly. I think the instrument panel itself has to butt up to the small "stops" molded into the basic cockpit tub. I've already cemented the rear bulkhead into place as per the directions but the other assemblies aren't too clear as to the correct placement. Darrin, I saw your beautiful build of a grey version. Did you have any of these issues??

Thanks as always for the help!

Jim

Hi Gang!

Working on Kitty Hawk's single seat Cougar. Did anyone have issues trying to build up the cockpit especially trying to fit the side console's etch plates? It looks as though I'll need to trim some material off each side plate to get them to fit into place properly. I think the instrument panel itself has to butt up to the small "stops" molded into the basic cockpit tub. I've already cemented the rear bulkhead into place as per the directions but the other assemblies aren't too clear as to the correct placement. Darrin, I saw your beautiful build of a grey version. Did you have any of these issues??

Thanks as always for the help!

Jim

I didn't bother using the PE parts. I just used the decals. I can tell you that the decals are too long. So it might be that the PE is too long as well.

Thanks, Darrin! I thought as much. I still have to scratch build a throttle quadrant and maybe a few other bits. Hopefully KH will do a better job with the Banshee cockpit since it seems to be more complex.

Jim

Hopefully KH will do a better job with the Banshee cockpit since it seems to be more complex.

Jim

Yeah, like ditching the stupid photo etched instrument panel and consoles, altogether! :bandhead2:

I am really looking forward to their -2 Banshee!

Ben

what about using the panther photo etch or maybe even using the monogram pit? would it fit?

I have an old Black Box pit for the Monogram Panther. I haven't had time to see if it will shoehorn into the KH kit, but I'm planning to give it a try when I get around to building the model. If it does fit, that opens up some possibilities, because I think Pavla makes a Panther pit, too.

Ben

Thanks to all for the input! I agree with Ben since KH having their own etch parts probably means that Eduard won't do anything for the Cougar. I decided to follow Darrin's lead and just use the decals except for the panel itself. I cut an old resin cockpit to get the throttle quadrant and used a spare "lollypop" handle from an etch set for the landing gear handle on the panel piece. I'll cut the side console decals to suit but I think I'm ready to paint.

Thanks again!

Jim

I have the -8T and the cockpit is mostly done. Overall, I don't like the kit one bit. You are correct- I assembled the cockpit with the PE as per Kitty Hawk's instructions and found out too late that the side consoles are too long to fit without fouling the fit of the aft bulkhead. I had to file some off the areas on the bulkheads over the side consoles to get them to seat remotely well. Not perfect, but if I knew it I would have carefully trimmed some off the aft ends of both sets. The detail on the PE parts is really shallow and I'm wondering how it'll look once painted. I also had to add the throttles to both cockpits since they're pretty visible. I hope someone will do a complete resin replacement eventually.

Hi Chris,

I did have a fit issue and had to both sand the sides of the tub and to eventually scrape detail off the lower sides of the seat to allow it to drop into the tub. This is necessary to (hopefully) add the seat belts after all is painted. At least you won't see the lower part of the seat once its installed.

Jim

Hi Chris,

I did have a fit issue and had to both sand the sides of the tub and to eventually scrape detail off the lower sides of the seat to allow it to drop into the tub. This is necessary to (hopefully) add the seat belts after all is painted. At least you won't see the lower part of the seat once its installed.

Jim

Ok, at least I'm not the only one! That's pretty much what I had to do to. It also didn't matter- both the Grumman and the Martin Baker seats had the same fit issues. I assembled both because I didn't find out until later that the Blue Angels airplane never had MB seats.

I just saw something on Kitty Hawk's Facebook page that may be of interest: a company called "Red Star Scale Models" is apparently doing an updated cockpit for the -8. I've never heard of them, but the pics they show look better than what KH provides.