HK 1/32 Mosquito B.IV - it's HERE!

The nose shape, the canopy shape, the nacelle shape, the spinner shape.Etc.etc.etc.

Based on what? If you're comparing it to the Caruana drawings, I have news for you.

Looking at Gary Wickhams build the HK kit looks fabulous.

Beautiful detailed cockpit and I to this point have not seen one image to show it has any issues.

If anything it's the reverse with every photo I see making it a very good looking kit.

The Do335 was a blinder kit and I ended up buying two. Some of the best plastic I have seen and I'm sure the Mossie will be better again.

Ordered one prob end up with two.

Bulged bomb bay cookie carrier Tamiya won't be doing one of those.

Based on what? If you're comparing it to the Caruana drawings, I have news for you.

Caruana couldn't find the shape of an aircraft if it were nailed to his face with a staple gun. I'm comparing it to the real thing. It's awful. Everything forward of the main spar line is completely hosed. Badly. It's not in the same league as the Trumpeter Hornet to be sure, but whatever drawings were used for it may as well have been from Caruana, they're so bad.

I'll wait for the Tamiya Mossie. I'm not impressed with the HK kit.

Ditto.

Some of the molding is kinda impressive..I'll give them that. The OOB pit detail is wanting...no matter...I'd load it with AM anyway...BUT...I'm only building 1 1/32 Mosquito...and if that's the case it will have "Tamiya" on the box

Built three of Tamiya's 1/32 fighters and each one is better than the last. The Corsair is by far the best kit being molded IMO...HK isn't going to touch the Tamiya kit in engineering and buildability.

And what news would that be, Jennings ?

Presumably the news that Caruana has never drawn anything that had more than a passing resemblance to the subject at hand other than by accident. But, as I explained, I wasn't doing that anyway. I'm not that interested in WHAT drawings are used, only that it looks like nothing of note has been done since the test shots were roundly slammed at Telford last November. It wins plaudits for the slick moulding to be sure. It just gets disqualified from the swimsuit competition for being a pig in a bikini.

Caruana couldn't find the shape of an aircraft if it were nailed to his face with a staple gun. I'm comparing it to the real thing. It's awful. Everything forward of the main spar line is completely hosed. Badly. It's not in the same league as the Trumpeter Hornet to be sure, but whatever drawings were used for it may as well have been from Caruana, they're so bad.

What exactly is wrong about everything in front of the main spar? Not being snarky, I actually want to know in order to make an informed decision about the kit. And please don't just say, "If your eye is good you can see it." Mine usually isn't to shape problems. So I'd really like to know what's wrong with it, and if it's possible to fix it.

The nose curves down too much making the bomb aimers glass too small and making the fuselage aft of it look too deep. The canopy's relationship to the fuselage is wrong and it looks perched on top of it, again the curves in this area look of and the rear of the canopy looks truncated without the graceful curves in plan of the real thing.the engine nacelles are simply shocking. Way too curved toward the front, especially on top, which on the mosquito was basically a straight line from mid spar point forward to the the spinner. The HK curves down.which makes the spinners laughably bad. I would say you DO need a good eye to see the nose. You need a reasonable eye to see the canopy, and a blind man in a dark room would laugh at the nacelles. And the spinners are so appalling a blind man in a dark room could see the problem if it were described too him over the phone.

HK really wants to leave the door wide open to the aftermarket community to do all kinds of stuff for their kits.

That would be almost everything forward of the main spar in this kit then.

My impressions of seeing the test shots at Telford were that I'd hoped they correct some rather glaring errors with the engines, nose and canopy but the production kit hasn't. It reminds me of the FROG kit - not so much sharing the same errors, but just being almost as caricatured in the same areas.

It's beautifully moulded, and I'm sure many will buy it, built it and enjoy it, but I get the feeling the HK kit was based on a duff set of drawings.

Edited by Jonathan Mock