HK 1/32 Mosquito B.IV - it's HERE!

Early or later - "MIGHTY T" released bomber/photo reccon variant too. Why spend money for HK kit ?

Because we're still waiting for a two-seat F-16, early Spitfires, and other versions of the Mustang. Tamiya's release schedule is strange, and doesn't always follow the method you think it will. So we have no idea if or when they'll ever do a bomber variant. And to do a photo-recon Mossie would require a ton of new tooling. Would be akin to Tamiya doing a P-51B from their first Mustang kit.

The HK kit looks to me like they upscaled the Revell Germany recent 1/48 Mossie. I looked at the cockpit build photos earlier in this thread and the Tamiya 1/48 kit has a better cockpit than this 1/32 scale kit. The new Tamiya kit will be miles better than this kit. It really is a caricature of the real aircraft. I will pass and wait. After the Mustang, Spitfire and Corsair you know this will be way better than the HK kit. Why throw away a C note and change.

That would be almost everything forward of the main spar in this kit then.

My impressions of seeing the test shots at Telford were that I'd hoped they correct some rather glaring errors with the engines, nose and canopy but the production kit hasn't. It reminds me of the FROG kit - not so much sharing the same errors, but just being almost as caricatured in the same areas.

It's beautifully moulded, and I'm sure many will buy it, built it and enjoy it, but I get the feeling the HK kit was based on a duff set of drawings.

Don't forget the armor plated rudder.

Could someone kindly direct me to photos of the kit parts which clearly illustrate the problems?

I'm having trouble finding anything that's not sprue shots or early progress photos.

I'd like to see some photos of what the kit, as a whole, looks like built up.

This month's Model Airplane International had a nice article on the kit by John "tigger" Wilkes. Lovely build, but the problems are obvious.

Oh, and nothing of any great note happened between the early progress shops and the final product, so they are a pretty good reference for the issues..

Edited by Dmanton300

Are there photos online though? I don't have access to the magazine.

Do you happen to have a handy link to photos from the early progress? I'd like to see a shot of the assembled kit, from an angle that shows what the fuss is about.

I'm with KOG, aside from sprue shots I haven't seen any photos online and it would be a great help to those contemplating a 1/32 Mossie to see how bad or otherwise the HKM kit is.

Does anybody have anything to compare the kit parts to for accuracy, superimposed pics, drawings? I'm interested in this kit, but honestly with Tamiya coming out with one, even though its not the same version its hard to get to invested in this one.

So these are some of the clearest overall view shots I could find from that in-progress thread on the other site.

BF71CF91-AD3F-484C-B837-DA2BA6CE1C66_zpsijz9hpyp.jpg

20E40E19-F678-42BB-A84F-4ABAF73E1D5F_zpseqnqgsrn.jpg

86112930-8FF0-4A57-9D3B-3B7061336894_zpsbnqosr5j.jpg

It's hard to find good photos of the real thing from the right angle, but based on what I can see, I don't see a TON of difference...

de-Havilland-Mosquito-Formation-1942.jpg?token=W%2FXldgC0sCf%2FuYJCcVXx29ghbaM%3D

1807373.jpg

8476A68F_1143_EC82_2E5554EF4412C443.jpg

Just from this comparison (which admittedly isn't ideal), maybe it sort of looks like the nose glass area is a tad undersized on the kit? And maybe the spinners on the kit are a tiny bit shorter/less pointy looking than what I see in the real thing photo? I'm still not really seeing anything too terribly off about the nacelle shape. Not enough to bother me at any rate.

Maybe someone else can provide other photos which point out more of a difference.

Um. The cookie is the bomb right? It's in all the photos so I'm not sure which photo specifically you are referencing.

I think the nacelles are curving inwards towards the prop more along the side than along the top.

I do see that the nacelle curves down into the wing, but the portion of the nacelle that projects forward from the leading edge of the wing seems pretty straight along the top side. The curve seems to come in when you view the nacelle from a three quarter angle and see the side curvature.

Anyways, still planning to get both, and I can put both side by side to see the difference if I feel bothered.

I think I see it. It wouldn't be fun to try and fix that without a new nacelle "lid".

The spinners do look short and stubby compared with the photo of the two B.IVs. Ditto the front windows and bomb-aimer's window.

Still looks like a Mosquito to me.

Perhaps I should rephrase, it's straight, but angled down. It should be dead straight as you can see in the pics of the real thing, but the way it slopes is all off.

Edit- was referring to the picture just showing the wings, without any fuselage in the shot. It's really obvious on the starboard nacelle, but the angles make it less so on the port because you're seeing more of the top and less of the profile. I know some people will go "pffft" and say it doesn't matter, and that's fine,but the obvious problems around the nose are a deal breaker *for me*. If it doesn't bother you, enjoy!

Edited by Dmanton300

Perhaps I should rephrase, it's straight, but angled down. It should be dead straight as you can see in the pics of the real thing, but the way it slopes is all off.

Edit- was referring to the picture just showing the wings, without any fuselage in the shot. It's really obvious on the starboard nacelle, but the angles make it less so on the port because you're seeing more of the top and less of the profile. I know some people will go "pffft" and say it doesn't matter, and that's fine,but the obvious problems around the nose are a deal breaker *for me*. If it doesn't bother you, enjoy!

You MIGHT be right? But I'd need to see a shot of the completed kit, from the side, to be sure of this.

I need to see more, the completed kit for starts, but I agree with the others that they definately blew the prop shape.

The funny thing is, the Tamiya props don't look a lot different. At least in the photos I've seen. Better photos of the Tamiya props may tell otherwise.

And the way the Tamiya kit breaks down there will be a B.MkIV. There is a break in the fuselage at the strengthening strap.

The Tamiya kit is obviously superior to the HK kit.

And the way the Tamiya kit breaks down there will be a B.MkIV. There is a break in the fuselage at the strengthening strap.

The Tamiya kit is obviously superior to the HK kit.

Interesting. I guess it comes down to whether you want to wait (possibly for years) for the Tamiya B.IV or go with the HK product.

I really like the B.IV as compared to the other variants. I think I'm going to hold off and see if there is more detailed info released on the HK nacelle issue so I can decide if it's a deal breaker or not.

I have no doubt that the spinners will probably be addressed by the aftermarket folks. I see no other major issues with the HK kit but I'll be following this thread with interest.

Edited by 11bee