HK 1/32 Mosquito B.IV - it's HERE!

Because we're still waiting for a two-seat F-16, early Spitfires, and other versions of the Mustang. Tamiya's release schedule is strange, and doesn't always follow the method you think it will. So we have no idea if or when they'll ever do a bomber variant. And to do a photo-recon Mossie would require a ton of new tooling. Would be akin to Tamiya doing a P-51B from their first Mustang kit.

If you are referring to a PR MkIV it is essentially the same as the bomber but with camera ports in the forward bomb bay and one in the aft fuselage. If you're talking about the PR MkXVI, They would need a few canopy revisions, essentially blisters and the later two stage engines. Not a major upgrade to an existing Mk IV kit. Looks like the Tamiya kit would be very suitable to add parts to do a PR 16.

The funny thing is, the Tamiya props don't look a lot different. At least in the photos I've seen. Better photos of the Tamiya props may tell otherwise.

There were for the most part two style of prop blades, the early "needle" type and the later "butter paddle" type. The Tamiya kit has the later butter paddle types. The B MkIV early would have the needle type. The HK kit's prop blades look like neither.

I can vouch for the Tamiya paddle blades being correct as it was me that measured them up for Mr Tamiya.

I measured, re-measured and took contour and 'twist' details for them and we even dispelled a dia issue/myth regarding the blade. Cant vouch for HK but can with Tamiya

HTH

Cheers

Anthony

There were for the most part two style of prop blades, the early "needle" type and the later "butter paddle" type. The Tamiya kit has the later butter paddle types. The B MkIV early would have the needle type. The HK kit's prop blades look like neither.

Tamiya is including both style of props in this new kit.

HTH

Brad

Can we all agree that the price is probably going to be an arm and a leg for either of them wacko.gif ?!

I must admit; I really like the lines/shapes of the Tamiya example.

The nose on said Tamiya doesn't have the 'Jimmy Durante' look: bulbous, that the HK appears to have. TMMV

Sorry, I meant spinners. Not props.

I was thinking the HK spinners looked slightly too short and stubby, but the Tamiya ones don't seem a whole lot different. Maybe slightly pointier. But only slightly.

• 1 month later...

Have you seen it? What on earth is "not impressive" about it?

A couple weeks back I got the chance to look inside their DO335, and was completely floored! It was better than anything I've seen from Tamiya in spades. I will only assume the new Mosquito will be similar, and about fifty dollars less.

gary

One of my last builds was the Tamiya 1/32 F4U - and it was the nicest kit I've ever put together. I'm working on the Do 335 now - and while very nice (admittedly I'm not an expert) - In strictly a plastic sense - it hardly beats Tamiya "in spades"

I don't see why they both can't be nice. Check out the reviews - get the one that suits you. Based on my Corsair experience, I ordered a Tamiya Mosquito knowing it'll be a very enjoyable build.

Corsair-2_zpskwqdgyin.jpg

Corsiar-3_zpswnchoamw.jpg

Do335.1_zps7qypict9.jpg

Do335.2_zpsxvtpmkry.jpg

Do335.3_zps2tc4unfg.jpg

I certainly wouldn't say anything by anyone beats the Tamiya 1/32 fighter kits "in spades". The HK stuff is very, very nice. Equal in some ways, not as good in other ways. Tamiya's bar is a pretty high one to cross, especially since cost is virtually no object to Tamiya.

I certainly wouldn't say anything by anyone beats the Tamiya 1/32 fighter kits "in spades". The HK stuff is very, very nice. Equal in some ways, not as good in other ways. Tamiya's bar is a pretty high one to cross, especially since cost is virtually no object to Tamiya.

Wingnut Wings?

Having looked pretty closely at the kit and plenty of images the only thing I can see worthy of consideration for replacement is the spinners.

All I see here is as per any new kit several people's love of their life aircraft has been spoilt because the cowl,is out by 0.025 degrees.

If people are scratching there head trying to see an issue with photos and the kit I can't for the life of me see how it can be described so badly.

Sure the spinner has an incorrect shape plain to see and I will grab a replacement when released.

As for the rest the universal law of convenience applies and anyone waiting for Tamiya to release anything I will only say enjoy the wait.

There is a whole bunch of guys who have been waiting for 19 years for a late F-4E, 10 years for a 2 seat F-16, 6 years for a MkI/II Spitfire, 4 years for a P-51B, 2 years for a F4U-1D.

A bird in hand even with dodgy spinners is worth 2 in Tamiya's bush.

• 2 weeks later...

When HK and Tamiya announced their Mossies, I started saving my wampum to buy both. I'm not going to niggle over the spinners. Frankly, I have yet to read reviews of any new kit where some aspect isn't "perfect". I ordered the HK kit from Luckymodel at $173 delivered to my front door in Texas after shipping charges were added, and I'm happy I did it. For the glass-nosed variant it's a far cry better than the old Revell kit and for that I'm content. I'll go whole hog on the detail bits when released as that is my M.O. for 1/32nd subjects (leaning toward OOB for 1/48th). I should take delivery this week.

Squadron MMD announced arrival of the Tamiya at $210 "lowest price" and my jaw hit the floor. I'm not saying that it's unreasonable, but after adding the obligatory .0825% sales tax since I'm in Texas, I'd be looking at $227.33 with their free shipping and at that price, I'm tapping out. I'll bite on the Tamiya when I can get it for under two bills delivered. For some reason I have got $200 locked in my brain as the limit I'd spend on one kit (minus after-market). That's just me. Your results may vary.

If the HK run is successful, they'll do a gun nosed variant and come in at under $200. Sure, I think Tamiya is the better model, but is it $60 better? Maybe. We'll see. I haven't seen a completed production example of the HK and the Tamiya side-by-side with accurate profile views as reference and I'll reserve comments on accuracy comparisons until I do.

TX

When HK and Tamiya announced their Mossies, I started saving my wampum to buy both. I'm not going to niggle over the spinners. Frankly, I have yet to read reviews of any new kit where some aspect isn't "perfect". I ordered the HK kit from Luckymodel at $173 delivered to my front door in Texas after shipping charges were added, and I'm happy I did it. For the glass-nosed variant it's a far cry better than the old Revell kit and for that I'm content. I'll go whole hog on the detail bits when released as that is my M.O. for 1/32nd subjects (leaning toward OOB for 1/48th). I should take delivery this week.

Squadron MMD announced arrival of the Tamiya at $210 "lowest price" and my jaw hit the floor. I'm not saying that it's unreasonable, but after adding the obligatory .0825% sales tax since I'm in Texas, I'd be looking at $227.33 with their free shipping and at that price, I'm tapping out. I'll bite on the Tamiya when I can get it for under two bills delivered. For some reason I have got $200 locked in my brain as the limit I'd spend on one kit (minus after-market). That's just me. Your results may vary.

If the HK run is successful, they'll do a gun nosed variant and come in at under $200. Sure, I think Tamiya is the better model, but is it $60 better? Maybe. We'll see. I haven't seen a completed production example of the HK and the Tamiya side-by-side with accurate profile views as reference and I'll reserve comments on accuracy comparisons until I do.

TX

The Tamiya kit is all of $3 more at Luckymodel ($152.99 before shipping vs $149.99), of course they don't have stock yet. Wheels & Wings will sell you one for $230CAD with no Texas tax (shipping extra) and they had stock as of Saturday.

Edited by mawz

The Tamiya kit is all of $3 more at Luckymodel ($152.99 before shipping vs $149.99), of course they don't have stock yet. Wheels & Wings will sell you one for $230CAD with no Texas tax (shipping extra) and they had stock as of Saturday.

I see, my good man, that you are a solution finder!

As to the HK kit, it arrived today. It is simply beautiful. All other things aside, I'd like to make an interesting note right out of the gate. The two included figurines, though the same scale, are DIFFERENT HEIGHTS! Yep, just like real humans. That may not be a huge thing to some, but it shows a particularly interesting attention to realism.

As to the accuracy issues, I'm still waiting to see factory drawings. Not saying what's been posted here is wrong or right, just looking for evidence to support the claims on inaccuracy.

Cheers,

TX

I am no Mosquito expert or any kind of expert for that fact, but what purpose does it serve Tamiya to make the freaking wheel into 12 pieces? Really, a two part wheel just wouldn't do? <_<

I would probably build either one, they both look good to my eye, what is important to me is how well a kit goes together. If it looks what it supposed to look like, give or take a couple of angles here or there, I am good with either kit. Both kits look like they will build into impressive models.

Robert

I am no Mosquito expert or any kind of expert for that fact, but what purpose does it serve Tamiya to make the freaking wheel into 12 pieces? Really, a two part wheel just wouldn't do? <_</>

I would probably build either one, they both look good to my eye, what is important to me is how well a kit goes together. If it looks what it supposed to look like, give or take a couple of angles here or there, I am good with either kit. Both kits look like they will build into impressive models.

Robert

Tamiya's trying to get around 2 things here.

1. Mosquito mainwheels are massive in 1/32 scale.

2. Everybody hates cleaning up the seams on 2-piece wheels.

They've come up with an admirable solution to the seam issue on 2-piece wheels, even if it's only really practical for larger, block tread wheels like those on the mossie.

Tamiya's trying to get around 2 things here.

1. Mosquito mainwheels are massive in 1/32 scale.

2. Everybody hates cleaning up the seams on 2-piece wheels.

They've come up with an admirable solution to the seam issue on 2-piece wheels, even if it's only really practical for larger, block tread wheels like those on the mossie.

Yes with the tread the way it is on these tyres, it would mean some of the seam would be on the raised part of the tread, but some of it would be on the recessed part, which would be very hard to clean up without damaging the tread.

I'm sure the AM boys will be along soon with some resin wheels.