1/32 Czech FA2-3 Buffalo

For as long as I can remember I've had this love/hate relationship with the Brewster Buffalo. Having a deep interest in WW11 aircraft, & specifically the Pacific theater of Operations, the Naval air battle at Midway on June 4, 1942 has always been a historical focal point for me.

On December 25,1941, 14 F2A-3 Buffalos of VMF-221 arrived via the USS.Saratoga CV-3, at Midway Island. On March 28,1942, 8 additional F2A-3 Buffalos arrived via the USS.Curtiss AV-3, and finally 7 Grumman F4F-3 Wildcats arrived by the USS. Kitty Hawk APV-1 on May 26, 1942. This was then the entire defensive air combat force available for the Battle of Midway.

After the air battle, these were the losses that VMF-221 suffered:

Aircraft: 12 F2A-3, 2 F4F-3

Pilots: 13 MIA, 1 KIA, 4 WIA 4

And this was what was left in flyable condition on June 6th, 1942:

3-F2A-3

3 F4F-3

VMF-221 claimed 16 kills of various aircraft. All the remaining F2A Buffalos in active service were replaced shortly after Midway, and became advanced trainers for the Navy.

I've never built a 1/32 scale aircraft since coming back into the hobby, as 1/48 scale has always been my preferred scale, but when I came across the 1/32 scale Czech FA2-3 Buffalo just gathering dust literally in the corner at a hobby shop near work that specialized in RC helicopters, I just had to have it.

The Czech Model 1/32 F2A-3 is a limited run multi-media kit, which also is a 1st for me. My goal for this build is to enhance the detailing where I can, with the main focus on creating the best display aircraft model of Capt. William C. Humberd USMC FA2-3 Buffalo on June 4,1942: VMF-221 3rd Div.Aircraft# MF-15, Sn# 1553.

As with nearly all aircraft models, construction starts with the cockpit. And this cockpit starts with a sub assembly for the IP and rudder peddles. The two IP panels consist of a plastic backing plate, a acetate sheet with the Instruments printed on them. You need to paint the backs flat white, which I did with Tamiya XF-2 flat white, then the PE face, which I painted Tamiya XF-69 Nato Black as I feel that XF-1 Flat Black is just too stark for a scale black.

F2A-3%20Buffalo_01.jpg

F2A-3%20Buffalo_04.jpg

The rudder peddles are comprised of several various media pieces including the side pistons. I then painted them Model Master Interior Green FS34151, and dry brushed them. The mounting plate that comprises these parts was also painted MM IG.

F2A-3%20Buffalo_05.jpg

There is a secondary IP under the main IP, and depending on which variant you're building, you need to select the right panel. Of course, I screwed that up, and I had to remove the panel, paint, and install the correct one. I really need to read the directions more closely as I go through this build since this kit has the options to also build the export Model 339-23.

F2A-3%20Buffalo.jpg

I decided to go with Interior Green rather then Green Zinc Chromate as I was concerned that once I do the dark dirty washes for the full cockpit and interior, and close up the fuselage halves, that the overall effect would be just too dark.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

In fact, the cockpit interior was Dull Dark Green for F2A-3's, so it's going to be pretty dark. (The earlier F2A-1's and -2's had aluminium lacquer interior, except for the eight -1's converted to -2's for VS-201, which were also Dull Dark Green).

A couple of things about the Czech Model kit, and all the other MPM-derived 1/32 Buffaloes:

- they all have two landing lights under the wings; except for the British 339E Buffalo, there should only be one, under the port wing. Sand and fill the starboard one;

- on the upper surface of the wing there are two bumps on each side over the wing gun installation. The big bump is to accommodate the gun mechanism. The smaller bump is a cover for the round counter and has a window on the side facing the fuselage. I don't know what the actual counter looks like, but the window is seen on BW-372:

029707_zpsb2300bad.jpg

- the rectangle in the middle of the instrument panel is meant to represent an instruction placard which will liven things up a little:

USNinstrumentpanelplacard.jpg

Edited by jimmaas

Good start!!!

It's also in my plans to build the Buffalo but, it's going to be a diorama of an abandoned one somewhere in the Pacific!!!

Keep up the good work Joel!!!

Sernak,

Thanks. Already lost a major cockpit part to the damn carpet monster. Been looking for an hour. I hate that guy. :bandhead2:/>

Sounds like great diorama project, but you'll have to do it as a B339-23 as the USN took them all out of front line service right after the disaster at Midway.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

JA

Nice start on your first 32nd scale kit and welcome to the larger scales for a model or two.

Glad the carpet monster picked up and left my house and headed over to yours. I'm worn out looking for parts instead of building and making progress on my Viper.

Bro

Edited by Peterpools

In fact, the cockpit interior was Dull Dark Green for F2A-3's, so it's going to be pretty dark. (The earlier F2A-1's and -2's had aluminium lacquer interior, except for the eight -1's converted to -2's for VS-201, which were also Dull Dark Green).

A couple of things about the Czech Model kit, and all the other MPM-derived 1/32 Buffaloes:

- they all have two landing lights under the wings; except for the British 339E Buffalo, there should only be one, under the port wing. Sand and fill the starboard one;

- on the upper surface of the wing there are two bumps on each side over the wing gun installation. The big bump is to accommodate the gun mechanism. The smaller bump is a cover for the round counter and has a window on the side facing the fuselage. I don't know what the actual counter looks like, but the window is seen on BW-372:

029707_zpsb2300bad.jpg

- the rectangle in the middle of the instrument panel is meant to represent an instruction placard which will liven things up a little:

USNinstrumentpanelplacard.jpg

Jim,

Thanks for the information. I spent considerable time researching the cockpit colors. The Swedish IPMS site has this call out: Early model Brewster Buffaloes, including F2A-1, F2A-2, Finnish and Dutch Model 239s had cockpit interiors painted in Aluminium lacquer with usual black instrument panel and switch boxes. The later F2A-3s were produced with Zinc Chromate Green cockpits, similar to Interior Green. I've seen that call out several times. Just about all USN WW11 aircraft had either interior Green, Bronze Green, or GZC. The exception seems to be the Corsairs which the latest thinking is from the -1As on could most likely have been flat black above the side sills to prevent glare. About the only references I have of Dark Dull Green cockpits were for P-51B, C, and Ds. Early P-47s were also Dark Dull Green, but late models should have been GZC. In any event, once the darkish wash is applied, it becomes a moot point.

I just checked the wings and indeed both lower wings have landing lights. Thanks for that information that only the port wing has a landing light. I took a quick look at the instructions, and while it's hard to see, they do indicate to fill the light in the Starboard wing as only the export version had two landing lights. As for the counter, the bump on the kit wings are really small. I'm not to sure how to make that window. And thanks for the information on that place card. I'll try to find a decal close enough to make it standout.

From your post you sure seam to have a lot of information and knowledge on the Buffalo. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

JA

Nice start on your first 32nd scale kit and welcome to the larger scales for a model or two.

Glad the carpet monster picked up and left my house and headed over to yours. I'm worn out looking for parts instead of building and making progress on my Viper.

Bro

Pete,

Thanks. Please come on over and pick up the carpet monster, I still can't find those two parts.

Joel

Hi Joel - glad to help. As far as the cockpit interior goes, my source is the Brewster Erection and Maintenance Instructions For Model F2A-3 Airplane (Report No. 512):

7.23 Cockpit - Detail In addition to the finish schedule of paragraph 7.21, the interior enclosure, as defined in paragraph 7.22, and all the brackets, supports, reinforcements used for structural purposes, control handle shafts, containers and flooring included in this section shall receive a coat of dull green lacquer unless specified otherwise. Note: the control handle shaft is the rod connecting the handle to the control cable or other transmitting apparatus and does not include the handle or knob.

7.24 Canopy and Windshield The metal interior of the canopy and windshield shall receive two coats of zinc chromate primer and one coat of dull green lacquer.

7.25 Pilot's Seat The pilot's seat shall receive two coats of zinc chromate primer and one coat of dull green lacquer.

7.26 Instrument Panels The instrument panels shall receive one coat of zinc chromate primer and two coats of black enamel.

On the other hand the Insignia and Markings diagrams for the F2A-3 (B.A.C. 22-00712) has a note that the interior was to be painted Bronze Green. Dull Dark Green was to replace Bronze Green so I think DDG is more likely. Here's a photo which shows the color:

015533_zpsqsxcilgr.jpg

The rest of the interior (such as the interior of the cowling) was specified as 'aluminized zinc chromate'. I've never been able to determine whether that means yellowish ZC with a metallic sheen, or something that looks like aluminium paint.

Jim,

I have that picture but just thought that time and film technology made the color look too dark. This does prove one thing to me, that even generally acknowledged sites such as the Swedish IPMS site, can be wrong, and one shouldn't take it as gospel.

I have a copy of the Pilots manual that has been posted online. The opening is by a Jim Maas. If that's you, I'm truly impressed that you would even take the time to look at my work. On the other hand as my buddies would say, the pressure is really on now. Welcome to my build.

Joel

Jim,

Since the IP sub sub assembly has already been painted, I'm going to leave it as is. Everything behind the IP won't be seen once the cockpit is enclosed within the fuselage halves. And what can be seen will get that dirty dark wash.

So now the question becomes what color to paint everything else. I prefer to use Tamiya Acrylics. Olive Drab is really a Brownish color so it's out. Dark Green is much too Greenish, so it's out. XF-58 Olive Green is a Dark Green that looks about right. Again, once the wash is applied, the colors will darken up some.

Joel

Hello Joel. It's very impressive that you have jumped right back in to a build so soon. I really enjoyed reading your opening post. The history of the Buffalo was interesting and I didn't know anything at all about the aircraft. At 1/32 your will really be able to bring all kinds of detail to life with your build. I was sorry to hear about the "carpet monster" and hope that you are able to recover the parts loss from the void. Of course, since you have followed my A-10 work, you know all about my funny/not so funny battles with the "carpet monster" and I can feel your pain. I hope that you will be able to recover the originals or find replacements. I was wondering if you are going to try to find a decal placard as jimmaas describes in his reply for your IP? I am enjoying your start Joel and look forward to your additional progress.

-Mark

Hello Joel. It's very impressive that you have jumped right back in to a build so soon. I really enjoyed reading your opening post. The history of the Buffalo was interesting and I didn't know anything at all about the aircraft. At 1/32 your will really be able to bring all kinds of detail to life with your build. I was sorry to hear about the "carpet monster" and hope that you are able to recover the parts loss from the void. Of course, since you have followed my A-10 work, you know all about my funny/not so funny battles with the "carpet monster" and I can feel your pain. I hope that you will be able to recover the originals or find replacements. I was wondering if you are going to try to find a decal placard as jimmaas describes in his reply for your IP? I am enjoying your start Joel and look forward to your additional progress.

-Mark

Mark,

I figured that most of the members on ARC are jet jockeys and the F2A-3 Buffalo wouldn't exactly be a household name, so a little background info would be helpful, and explain why I want to do the aircraft I'm doing.

I had no idea that the place card should be there, as it's really hard to see in small, old pictures. Jim was kind enough to post a picture of it, and I'm going to try and find a decal to represent it.

The really good news is that I BEAT THE CARPET MONSTER this time. I looked everywhere, but just couldn't find it. I even took out every single piece of paper and scrap from the trash can under the workbench, but no luck. So as a last resort, I divided the room into 6 segments, and with a flashlight on my phone went over every single inch in each one. Of course the part was where I thought it was physically impossible to be, but I found the small little assembly. All is good now.

As for jumping into a build right after finishing one, I've been doing that since the 70's. Maybe a day or even a week off, but then it's back to modeling. Most of the time I've already picked out a project and did a lot of the basic research.

The Buffalo isn't an easy kit to start with, and the instructions leave a lot to be desired, so I'm going very slowly. As an example, the wings are attached to the fuselage with just Butt Joints! I'm not happy with that, so I'm already planning to use plastic pins to make the joint stronger. And there are no alignment pins, so gluing wings, the fuselage halves, etc., will take a lot more care then I usually take.

With Jim Maas's expertise, my build just got kicked up a few notches further into unchartered territory.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Hi Joel - yes, I did the Buffalo I pilot's manual (in the sense that I re-typed the manual to post on Dan Ford's Buffalo site).

Dull Dark Green is usually equated to US Medium Green 42, but Dana Bell gave me a color chip sometime back that shows DDG is darker than 42. Bronze Green is often equated to Model Master Euro I Dark Green.

I dug my Czech Models kit out and looked at the instruction sheet. There's a mistake on page 13. The 'solid' ventral insert should be used for the F2A-3, not for the Australian Model 339-23, and vice-versa - the glass ventral insert should go with the 339-23, not the F2A-3. I had originally thought the F2A-3 had a ventral window like all the other Buffaloes, but Brandon Wood pointed out that the F2A-3 had an extra gas tank under the seat, which would have made downward vision pretty impossible. Turns out the window was replaced with solid doors but they still had those oval openings (carbon monoxide vents)just like the ventral windows. By the way, the extra fuel tank needed to be filled, and that's the purpose of that solid panel on the front left side of the rear canopy on the -3. In the cockpit closeup photo above, you can just make out the word 'FUEL' on it. Behind the panel there's a refuelling location for the extra tank. The extra tank gave the -3 a range, at economical speed, of almost 2,000 miles. There are indications that the Navy wanted the aircraft to have a secondary search role (just like the SBD had a secondary air defense role). Secondary roles can really mess things up!

Hope this helps.

Jim,

The color I'm planning on using to simulate DDG was Tamiya XF-58 Olive Green. There is an even darker Green XF-61 Dark Green. Is there a FS chip that I can match the paint too?

I knew about the central gas tank being added to the F2A-3s but hadn't really studied the entire instruction sheet as yet. Thanks for the information on the switch in part numbers.

Joel

Nice start Joel and interesting intro!

I have a SH Buffalo to build in an RAAF scheme. A suggestion for the bullet counter, maybe chisel out a section and fill with a clear canopy glue? I shall be checking back and wish you good luck.

Regards,

Jim,

The color I'm planning on using to simulate DDG was Tamiya XF-58 Olive Green. There is an even darker Green XF-61 Dark Green. Is there a FS chip that I can match the paint too?

I knew about the central gas tank being added to the F2A-3s but hadn't really studied the entire instruction sheet as yet. Thanks for the information on the switch in part numbers.

Joel

DDG would be near 34092.

As far as the round counter window, in 1/32 the easiest route would probably be to rummage through the parts box and find clear plastic bits (like a teardrop wingtip light) and use those to replace the kit bumps; just masking over the window should do it.

I'm excited about this. I'm a Buffalo fan too - Kiwis flew them in Singapore - and I'm very keen to follow this one. I'm afraid I don't have any info to share, Joel, but as with the Spitfire I do have a ton of enthusiasm to filter through the build thread. Nice work already!

Nice start Joel and interesting intro!

I have a SH Buffalo to build in an RAAF scheme. A suggestion for the bullet counter, maybe chisel out a section and fill with a clear canopy glue? I shall be checking back and wish you good luck.

Regards,

Kent,

The SH kit is basically the same exact kit as the Czech kit with parts just for the F2A-2/ and the corresponding export version. Not sure how I'll do those bullet counters. Might go with the suggestion of a clear piece of plastic, file and sand to shape, then mask, and pray for the best.

Joel

Awesome start, Joel! :D/>

Janne,

Thanks. This is going to be a build way out of my comfort zone. Already I've run into the correct color issue for the interior, even after referring to my go to reference of the Swedish IPMS site. Will be doing a custom mix of FS34092 Dark Dull Green for the rest of the cockpit. What I've already painted, I'm leaving as is with a few dirty washes, as most of it won't be visible once the fuselage halves are glued up.

Joel

DDG would be near 34092.

As far as the round counter window, in 1/32 the easiest route would probably be to rummage through the parts box and find clear plastic bits (like a teardrop wingtip light) and use those to replace the kit bumps; just masking over the window should do it.

Jim,

so far I like your idea about just using scrap pieces of clear plastic, and shape them to the teardrop shape. As for the DDG FS34092, I checked my usual sites for Tamiya mixes, and there are a few listed. This is the mix I'm going with: XF26:3 +XF2:1.

Joel

I'm excited about this. I'm a Buffalo fan too - Kiwis flew them in Singapore - and I'm very keen to follow this one. I'm afraid I don't have any info to share, Joel, but as with the Spitfire I do have a ton of enthusiasm to filter through the build thread. Nice work already!

K5054NZ,

Glad to hear that you have a interest in the Buffalo. The export versions were flown throughout the war, and they did rather well for themselves. No need to apologize for not having any info to share. There's a ton on the net, and Jim is an expert whose more then happy to help us out. Looking forward to your build.

Joel

Time for another mini update as I have a lot of time home these days,since I've been working half the week on the late shift or the overnight shift.

The cockpit of the F2A-3 is rather complicated, and is made up of several sub assemblies. I've already posted a picture of the basic unweathered IP/rudder peddle assembly. Next up is the seat sub-assembly.

I started with the correct seat as the kit contains the export version as well. Unfortunately, the seat is way too thick and chunky to have any kind of scale effect.

F2A-3%20Buffalo_06.jpg

Rather then pour over the AM seats at the Sprue Brothers site, I went to work on the seat with #320 and #600 emery cloth. Once the sides, back, and front were nearly paper thin, I added the PE seat/back brace

F2A-3%20Buffalo_07.jpg

I think that the seat now has a proper scale effect. The lever assembly just to the right of the seat is a bracket with the duel controls for raising and lowering the flaps, and raising and lowering the landing gear. The shafts do look a little chunky, but that's the way they should be. Just knobs were needed,which I made from several layers of white tacky glue.

F2A-3%20Buffalo_02.jpg

Next up I built the seat sub-assembly. I left off the seat belts till after painting and weathering. The USN version doesn't have shoulder harnesses. Hard to believe, and I'm still researching that issue.

F2A-3%20Buffalo_13.jpg

Before I painted the side walls I took a look at the scribing of the recessed panel lines, and they have a nice scale effect to them. But the rudder demarcation lines are just too shallow to give the impression that the rudder is a separate surface.

F2A-3%20Buffalo_09%201024%20x%20683.jpg

So using 1st my UMM #1 Universal scriber, followed by the Tamiya scriber, I deepened the recess so it looks like it goes all the way through. I still need to finish cleaning up the recesses.

F2A-3%20Buffalo_11.jpg

The last sub-assembly that the IP sub-assembly attaches to is the central gas tank. The tank itself is rather crude once glued up, so I had to sand and fill with putty as needed. Naturally, I destroyed a nearly all of the surface details. Since you will won't see much of the tank once the fuselage halves are joined, I just replaced the major circle armor plates (?)with sheet plastic punched out circles.

F2A-3%20Buffalo_14%201024%20x%20683.jpg

Next up I painted the fuselage halves, the seat assembly, and the gas tank assembly with my Tamiya acrylic mix for Dark Dull Green. You can also see those two knobs painted semi gloss black.

F2A-3%20Buffalo_18.jpg

Here's a picture of the IP/gas tank sub-assembly dry fitted. The fit is really pretty good. Actually, to get the IP in the correct orientation, you need to dry fit it, then glue the parts together. I had to do the same for the seat bulkhead as it's glued at a angle rather then straight up and down.

F2A-3%20Buffalo_19.jpg

And now you're up to speedas to where I am in this most challenging build.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Coming along nicely Joel! I really like the contrasting shades of green you are using for the cockpit colors. Nice clean scribe work on the rudder as well. Are you planning to recess the hinge area on the rudder too and add hinge detail? Every time I see the IP, I keep wondering if you will make your own decal for that center placard or is there one available in an AM decal set? You certainly have found a rhythm in your build here that I have followed since your F-15C and Spitfire. Looking forward to the next update.

-Mark

Coming along nicely Joel! I really like the contrasting shades of green you are using for the cockpit colors. Nice clean scribe work on the rudder as well. Are you planning to recess the hinge area on the rudder too and add hinge detail? Every time I see the IP, I keep wondering if you will make your own decal for that center placard or is there one available in an AM decal set? You certainly have found a rhythm in your build here that I have followed since your F-15C and Spitfire. Looking forward to the next update.

-Mark

Mark,

Thanks so much for stopping by and liking my efforts.

The contrasting colors really started out as the wrong color for the rudder peddle assembly. Then I just gave them a light dusting of the DDG as it will get a heavy doss of gray and silver dry brushing.

The missing IP place card isn't on the decal sheet. I wish it was. I've been going through my decals and have found a few that look ok, but I'm still trying to decide on which one to use. Since the IP is already finished, I can't gloss coat it, then decal, then flat coat it, without ruining the clear acetate lenses on the Instruments. So I'm trying to get up the nerve to dip the decal into Pledge then place it on the IP. The other idea I have it to sand the pack of the decal while its on the backing paper, and when it's as thin as I think I can get it, just white glue it to he IP. That sounds like my best option.

As for the hinges for the rudder, I'm going to try and make inserts from sheet plastic and lay them right over the recessed hinge and butt it up against the rudder.

Joel