1/32 Czech FA2-3 Buffalo

Another excellent build Joel! The photography is excellent too, although, I am not sure about the white background. Bravo!

-Mark

Mark,

Thank you so much for appreciating my efforts in this most challenging build. And yes, I completely agree with the white background as not the best choice. Unfortunately, that is the only color I had in the house this morning, and I was just to lazy to drive 15 min to get a Blue piece. Next time I'll have the proper color for sure.

Joel

Thanks to all of you who've stopped by to checkout the completed F2A-3 Buffalo. To be honest about it, there were more then just a few times when I thought it was beating me into submission. But in the end I managed with the help of a lot of you to get to and across the finish line. My brother Peter (PetersPools) was always there on a daily basis. And Jim Maas, the author of the Squadron Signal Publication "F2A Buffalo in Action", was an immense help with detailed pictures, explanations, advice, and insight. In the end the only advice I didn't follow from Jim was the tri-colored prop tips, and doing something to detail the wing MG inspection glass. Honestly Jim, the bubble was so small that it didn't make much sense. But I'm going to mask them out, and using a very fine brush, apply a few light coats of gloss black. John, yep, the next build which is already on my workbench is the Eduard Limited edition of the Hasegawa 1/48 scale AF Scooter. I'll be building it for the AF GB here on ARC. This one is going to be almost pure OOB, as I just really need a relaxing, wind down build. Thommo, My photography setup is nothing special. I use a table covered with rolled oak tag like everyone else. My lighting setup is two white light Tensor desk lamps that are very near 5500K. One is from the left side as a strong fill, and one is further back and lights from the top down, helping to control the shadows to some degree. I do use the camera flash but not when I'm taking close ups. I keep the camera a min of 2 1/2-3 ft away, using either a 28-55mm lens or a 55-200mm with a 12mm extension tube. My choice of camera is a Nikon D90 DSLR. I pre-set the exposure to -3 so soften the effect of the flash, and shoot all the pictures in Aperture or Manual mode, White Balance is set to Auto (This makes balancing the two different light sources very easy), Center Matrix metering, and the ISO at 200. In post production editing, I prefer Nikon's Capture NX2 program. And I use a tripod, electronic cable shutter release, and a right angle finder so I don't have to hunch over to see through the eye peice. ChukW, thanks so much for even taking the time to checkout my work. I'm so glad that you and the girls appreciated my most modest of efforts. Joel

Edited by Joel_W

<p>

Thanks guys.</p><p>Falcon20driver, the A-F is going to be pretty much box stock. There is enough extras in the boxing to make it interesting. Will be starting in a few days, as I just need a little down time. </p><p>Joel<br></p>

Edited by Joel_W

Hi Joel,

I didn't really comment on your build lately but silently followed your efforts. The kit came out great, I really like the faded/bleached colour and the weathering as a whole.

You have my utmost respect for mixing most colours (I'm really too lazy for that).

Having built a few short run kits myself I know they can be a bit challenging sometimes but in your case your patience really paid off.

Cheers

Markus

Edited by Shorty84

Mark,

Thank you so much for appreciating my efforts in this most challenging build. And yes, I completely agree with the white background as not the best choice. Unfortunately, that is the only color I had in the house this morning, and I was just to lazy to drive 15 min to get a Blue piece. Next time I'll have the proper color for sure.

Joel

Absolutely Joel! This was an outstanding effort and result for your Buffalo. I had to laugh when I read your reply for the background...... I would have done (or not done! Ha) the exact same thing! Haha.

Thommo, My photography setup is nothing special. I use a table covered with rolled oak tag like everyone else. My lighting setup is two white light Tensor desk lamps that are very near 5500K. One is from the left side as a strong fill, and one is further back and lights from the top down, helping to control the shadows to some degree. I do use the camera flash but not when I'm taking close ups. I keep the camera a min of 2 1/2-3 ft away, using either a 28-55mm lens or a 55-200mm with a 12mm extension tube. My choice of camera is a Nikon D90 DSLR. I pre-set the exposure to -3 so soften the effect of the flash, and shoot all the pictures in Aperture or Manual mode, White Balance is set to Auto (This makes balancing the two different light sources very easy), Center Matrix metering, and the ISO at 200. In post production editing, I prefer Nikon's Capture NX2 program. And I use a tripod, electronic cable shutter release, and a right angle finder so I don't have to hunch over to see through the eye peice.

OK that explains why your photos are so much better than mine. I use a little handheld Lumix set on AutoIntelligent with one lamp :doh:

Well done Joel,

Take a couple of days, but not too long, okay?

Regards,

Kahunaminor,

Not to worry, I've already started to tinker with the Scooter, but won't really get down to work till the weekend.

Joel

Hi Joel,

I didn't really comment on your build lately but silently followed your efforts. The kit came out great, I really like the faded/bleached colour and the weathering as a whole.

You have my utmost respect for mixing most colours (I'm really too lazy for that).

Having built a few short run kits myself I know they can be a bit challenging sometimes but in your case your patience really paid off.

Cheers

Markus

Markus,

Thanks so much for your most kind words. Mixing paints is really pretty easy once you have the right formula, and there are plenty of sites that have them posted. The Swedish IPMS site is a gold mine for the proper colors.

Joel

OK that explains why your photos are so much better than mine. I use a little handheld Lumix set on AutoIntelligent with one lamp :doh:/>

Thommo

Nothing wrong with your camera. Just try two lamps at 45 degrees to your model. You can be further back then the lamps as I always am. Do you use any kind of editing program?

Joel

Absolutely Joel! This was an outstanding effort and result for your Buffalo. I had to laugh when I read your reply for the background...... I would have done (or not done! Ha) the exact same thing! Haha.

Mark,

I can be pretty lazy at times.

Joel

Not the prettiest plane in my opinion but a great build delivered by you Joel! I followed the whole process and it came out a lot better than I anticipated!! way to go!

Kiki,

I'd be the 1st to agree that the Buffalo isn't exactly what one would call pretty by any means., The vastly more successful Grumman F4F Wildcats had a very similar shape. I'm glade that my build exceeded your expectations.

Joel