1/72 scale C-130E Rivet Clamp Special Operations Aircraft

I showed your work to a retired AF C-130 pilot. He was stunned and amazed!

Thanks, Walt! Please give him my heartiest appreciation for his service. Those pilots are the unsung heroes of any war. The fighter jocks get most of the glory but when your supplies are low, nothing is more glorious than a Herk on final! :)/>

Cheers,

Russ

• 1 month later...

Hi, All,

I've held off making any updates until I at least finished one side completely - so I think I've done that with the right side, as I've finally completed the detail in the tail section. I also added some packing cases strapped to the floor behind the Talon compartment wall that will fit between the jump seats on the left side. The picture below shows the ramp door temporarily attached. Now it's on to completing the left side detail, then I'll tackle the overhead.

0YvCss.jpg

Cheers, and thanks for looking!

Russ

Edited by striker8241

What more ca I say? This is a work of art. You've raised the bar! I'll have to use a ladder to get that high!

Lol thanks, Walt! :)/> Step up to that there bar and let's drink to it! :cheers:/>

Cheers,

Russ

For a change of pace, I decided to go ahead and detail the lower ramp door as I'll need to have it in place to mount the Skyhook winch assembly. I ran into a lot of problems with detailing this door since, like the tail section, the inside dimensions are not correct. The floor is definitely too thin and as a result, I could only hint at the door locks along the sides instead of adding full slots. And the front of the door was not shaped correctly and that took quite a bit of effort to correct. The PE parts really helped here. The "wings" where the door actuators attach were molded too shallow so I heated them and bent them more vertically. I still need to add the wind deflectors but I'll save that for another update.

DEHOvU.jpg

F3CDoz.jpg

Cheers, and thanks for looking!

Edited by striker8241

While scouring the internet today for information on the C-130, I came across a build on the Britmodeller forum (www.britmodeller.com) by a member called "IRL". He's an ex-Herky pilot with lots of flying hours and experience. He's in the process of building a total of 4 C-130 models in 1/72, and he's given a great review of the pros and cons of both the Airfix and the newer Italeri kits. His information is well worth the reading but his stories and humor make it totally fun reading as well.

For any of you building or contemplating building a hercules model, I encourage you to check out his build ("An Albet's Tale") at: http://www.britmodel...bs-albert-epic/

Cheers,

Russ

Edited by striker8241

The ramp looks awesome Russ, very well done. It's almost gonna be a shame to close up the fuselage.

Steve

Thanks, Steve! I know what you mean. However, most of the detail will still be visible from the open top or from the side and ramp doorways. I'm even toying with the idea of installing lights in the cockpit and cargo area. That would be a real challenge though given all the detail inside...

Cheers,

Russ