1/72 scale C-130E Rivet Clamp Special Operations Aircraft

That ramp alone would have taken me years to build. Your project is just simply awesome. You must have a store front full of styrene.

Tim

Thanks, Tim! :)/> The ramp looks more complicated than actually is. The floor is just a photograph that I printed out on photo paper. There is some detailing along the sides and I modified the end slightly and added some PE. It's not really complicated at all. As for styrene, most of the detail is made from pieces out of my scrap box. I never throw away any piece, no matter how small, that I might be able to use later. If I can see it, I save it! :)/>

Cheers, and thanks again!

Russ

Beautiful detailing! I started a 1/140 ancient Revell Herk but not

even close to this work of art. Having enough fun just trying to

scratch seats, never mind the most excellent interior! Keep up the

most excellent work, you almost have me talked into a 1/72 Herk

myself!---John

No problem, Tim.

I found a couple of photos of the cargo floor and ramp that I could use and by replicating the patterns and piecing them together in Photoshop, I was able to make photos of a complete cargo floor and a complete ramp floor. You can do the same thing in Microsoft Paint or Gimp (a free open-source editor that has many of the features of Photoshop). The final photos have to be saved at high resolution (~900 ppi) or you will lose a lot of detail when you print them. I then printed the photos on 8x10" glossy photo paper. You need to use glossy paper to keep the detail crisp. Once the photos are dry, you can spray them with dullcote or lacquer to dull the glossiness. Don't use too much though - the actual flooring has a bit of a shine to it from certain angles.

BTW, I made the main cargo floor out of styrene as the kit version was grossly incorrect. The picture below shows the cargo floor and the unmodified ramp door with the photo-flooring temporarily in place. If you would like a copy of the photo for these, I'd be glad to send it to you. Just PM me with your email addy. You can use the ramp photo as is with the unmodified ramp door but the cargo floor photo may have to be resized slightly to fit the Italeri cargo floor.

Cheers,

Russ

IvscfL.jpg

Edited by striker8241

Beautiful detailing! I started a 1/140 ancient Revell Herk but not

even close to this work of art. Having enough fun just trying to

scratch seats, never mind the most excellent interior! Keep up the

most excellent work, you almost have me talked into a 1/72 Herk

myself!---John

Welcome, John, and thanks for the good words! The Italeri 1/72 kit is nicely done even though it has some issues. But that depends on how picky you are smile.gif/>. If you like C-130s, I'd say go for it.

Cheers,

Russ

• 1 month later...

Hi, All,

I've finally completed all the interior detail I plan to include. All of the detail is visible either through the forward entry way, through the ramp doors, or with the forward roof section removed. A lot of this detail was just an experiment to see what I could and could not do at this scale, but I doubt I would ever do a model with this much detail again. This is not an absolutely accurate rendition of the interior of one of these aircraft. I was able to find only a few interior views of the original Talon aircraft and those were only of the ramp area and are very poor quality. Special thanks to Storm, for his information and guidance on the Talon I interior. Also, I could only find a limited number of pictures of the E-model interior that I could use, so some of the detail is a meld of various type C-130s or pure guess work. So if you're familiar with these aircraft and see a number of gross errors...be gentle with me smile.gif.

Below are some pictures - and many thanks for looking!

7uQSIR.jpg

8sO7Ex.jpg

Cheers,

Russ

Edited by striker8241

For any of you building or contemplating building a hercules model, I encourage you to check out his build ("An Albet's Tale") at: http://www.britmodel...bs-albert-epic/

Cheers,

Russ

Errm... I believe "he" is actually her (or I thought so)

Both your's and her's WIPs are inspirational to say the least!

Really have to try your photoshop method for the floor, but can't seem to find a good photo to start with (yet).. :unsure:

Cheers,

Mario

Indonesia

Hi, Mario, and welcome!

Many thanks for the good words. As for the cargo floor photo, I had the same problem. I had to piece one together from fragments I found. I can send you the scale photo I made if you would like one. Just send me a PM with an email address. However, I built my own deck so you may have to resize and/or trim the photo to fit the kit floor.

Cheers,

Russ

I love this! Is that a Marine sitting in the flight deck? Do I see stipes? Amazing! Are those decals?

Thanks, Maj! No, that's not a Marine. I don't believe there were any in our area at the time. That's supposed to be an Air Force technician. The stripes are just a brush stroke with black paint. At this scale, I guess they don't look too bad :)/>.

Cheers,]

Russ

• 5 months later...

Hi, All,

I haven't been much in the mood to work on my project in the last few months, but I'm beginning to get the urge again, so here's an update on where the project stands now.

I completed the interior detail and closed up the fuselage. Then I added the Flightpath resin nose. Once I got the nose attached, it just didn't look right. I discovered it was 5 mm too long for the original aircraft. Now I've got to shorten the nose and reshape it. Wouldn't be so bad if the nose wasn't full of lead weight.

I also installed my window frames and covered them with masking to keep out the dust while I sand the nose. The wings are rescribed and ready to assemble.

The top cover doesn't fit right (naturally) so now I've got to build up one side and sand it to shape. I'll not want for things to do in the next few months! :rolleyes:    Below are a few pictures.

Cheers,

Russ

iWZZ0s.jpg

W54KwN.jpg

YcVtdh.jpg

Edited by striker8241

Many fine detail work on your model!

It is a pity to disappear all these scratch building detailing things in the interior of the cockpit and cargo area when you will close the fuselage.
Continue and keep the quality of your modelling skills up!

Giannis Doxas

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 4:57 AM, doxasg said:

Many fine detail work on your model!

It is a pity to disappear all these scratch building detailing things in the interior of the cockpit and cargo area when you will close the fuselage.
Continue and keep the quality of your modelling skills up!

Giannis Doxas

Thanks for the good words, Giannis!  Not to worry, my friend, the top section will be removable and the rear doors will be open so just about all of the detail will be visible.

Cheers,

Russ

Hi, Russ

Happy to see you back..

As for the detail, I think you really have to consider to install lighting like the one Giannis did in his HAF C-130..

:whistle:

I believe that, and the opened ramp door along with the removable top section will really make the detail more visible and attractive..

Cheers,

Mario 

Indonesia

• 1 month later...

Simply AMAZING build!! :thumbsup:

I found this thread from  a Google search. Wish I had seen it when I was working on my vanilla C-130H that I built for a USAFR C-130 Flight Engineer. Of course, if I had, I would've been tempted to try to add detail like you dis, instead of just detailing & correcting the outside of my model. Of course if I had, I never would have finished mine in the 5 months it took me. This will give me ideas, for when I start on one of my own  Special Ops C-130 kits.

Larry

Love a Combat Talon 1....the flight deck though had dual navigator stations seated side by side. The bunks were removed from the flight deck. The pipe for the air refueling receptacle fan from the roof and turned to the right and ran above both nav's and through the bulkhead at 245 back into the wing box. Depending on the pilot refueling off a KC-135 could be smooth or like a rodeo ride. Great job so far!!

10 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

Simply AMAZING build!! :thumbsup:

I found this thread from  a Google search. Wish I had seen it when I was working on my vanilla C-130H that I built for a USAFR C-130 Flight Engineer. Of course, if I had, I would've been tempted to try to add detail like you dis, instead of just detailing & correcting the outside of my model. Of course if I had, I never would have finished mine in the 5 months it took me. This will give me ideas, for when I start on one of my own  Special Ops C-130 kits.

Larry

Welcome, Larry, and thanks for the good words!  I look forward to seeing your C-130 Special Ops build in future.

Cheers,

Russ