1/72 scale C-130E Rivet Clamp Special Operations Aircraft

This is 1/72 right? Your cockpit detail looks great. Didn't realise the Italeri kit's cockpit was so over simplified. Are Stock standard E/Hs the same config?

I flew in a RAAF C-130H cockpit as a Nav observer many years ago and don't recall the cockpit being like yours.

Edited by Trojan Thunder

Welcome, Trojan! Thanks for the good words.

Yes, it's 1/72. As for cockpit configurations, you got me there, bud. I know little about the cockpits of C-130s. From what I've seen in pictures on the net, there are lots of different configurations and color schemes. Most, at least of the earlier models, seem to follow the configuration I'm using. I don't have drawings or complete pictures of any C-130, let alone the original Rivet Clamp aircraft, so I've been following the E-model configuration, which was the model they were created from.

Thanks, Joel! I really appreciate the support. Frankly, I'm getting bored with it :)/>. I need to move on to something else so I'm putting on a full court press and trying to get the cockpit finished soon.

Well, I got the main panel finished at last. I've been dreading doing it but it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Below are some pictures.

The picture below shows my panel next to the kit panel.

EndaAa.jpg

I've tentatively placed the pedestal and main panel in place to show how it will look. There are still some side panels and some other details I want to add before I move on.

wSBDp3.jpg

Edited by striker8241

Looking good!

Can relate to the "getting bored". However, seeing your work gives a great example for other kits with cockpit errors.

I too wondered about the placement, especially the navigators area.

My recollection is that the panels did not sit at angles coming to a point to left of Nav/behind copilot.

Have to dig out the photos. I was a transportation type so didn't live in the cockpit.

Also, most of my view of cockpits was on H's.

It's amazing how few photos of cockpits are on the web of anything.

Rich

Thanks, Rich. Funny you should mention the panels to the left of the Nav position. After getting the crew pedestal in place, I realized I had the lower AC breaker panels too short and in the wrong position, and that meant I had the full length panels behind them positioned wrong. So it's back to the drawing board for a bit. Unfortunately, the only pictures I could find of those panels show only partial views and then at odd angles. If you have some photos that show them in their correct orientation, that would be great!

Cheers,

Russ

Slight but important update. Since I finished my upgraded instrument panel, it just hasn't looked right. I finally realized I left the wings off the top edges of the panel. I added the missing shapes and I think it really makes a difference.

WxQT5K.jpg

Here's the updated and completed pedestal assembly.

YQ6SRd.jpg

Cheers,

Russ

Edited by striker8241

Hope everybody is having a good Memorial weekend. Here's another update. I added the seatbelts and also added detail to the right front area of the cockpit. And I added some cables behind the main instrument panel since that area can be seen through the forward windows. I'm not happy with the cables though - they're too large in diameter so I plan to replace them with smaller wires.

Cheers and thanks for looking!

gEq2f3.jpg

Edited by striker8241

It looks perfect!

Have you thought about adding some weight into the nose? I think it´s necessary to keep the bird on his wheels and avoid a tail-sitter.

HAJO

How did you do the tech order library next to the steps going up to the flight deck? That's an impressive detail I never saw done before on a model Herkasaurus of any flavor.

Scott W.

Hi, Scott,

That turned out to be a tough project. I captured every image I could find with the tech orders showing - and there weren't many, then I copied one or more books that were clear enough using an image editor, scaled them down and replicated them until I had a full row. Then I printed out each row on photo paper, cut them out and glued them just inside the front edge of each shelf.

Cheers,

Russ

It looks perfect!

Have you thought about adding some weight into the nose? I think it´s necessary to keep the bird on his wheels and avoid a tail-sitter.

HAJO

Thanks for the good words, Hajo! Yes I have. That nose is going to be replaced by a resin nose of the correct shape and I've already added lead weight to it. I appreciate your calling it to my attention.

Cheers,

Russ