1/72 scale C-130E Rivet Clamp Special Operations Aircraft

Cheers, All! Hope everybody is having a great weekend!

I'm in the process of scribing the fuselage halves and making some additions and corrections before I do any further interior detail. I added the chaff ports on the right side and started building the chaff dispensers.

Below is a shot of the chaff ports and another of the first chaff dispenser with two chaff magazines. I still need to build three more dispensers and make 6 more magazines. I also blanked up the second port hole from the door since it's not used when the chaff system is installed. The right side cabin air inlet was not the correct size and width so I corrected it.

Bn7ukz.jpg

EBp0II.jpg

Cheers,

Russ

Edited by striker8241

Thanks, Joel! Ahhh,,,fortunately you can't see all the mistakes and corrections I made...or hear me during the process... :D/>/>

I've been re-scribing the F2A-3 Buffalo as I go along, and I'm sure I've used every say I say colorful expression you've used plus some from the good old days. :whistle:/>

Joel

Joel,

One of the most useful toolsI've found for scribing is something I came across by accident. I was trying to repair a retractable measuring tape and I found that the coil spring was broken. It's made out of the same kind of steel that used to be used for banding crates and boxes.It's thin enough and flexible enough to bend to the curves of wings and fuselage and provides a strong, sharp edge to scribe against. I cut mine into several different lengths with some tin snips, as shown below.

f3OVnA.jpg

Be sure to trim off the corners at each end and file the ends smooth as these are very sharp and can damage your model, as well as your fingers! I use a thin piece of masking tape to hold down one end for long stretches.

Hope this is useful to you, my friend,

Russ

Edited by striker8241

Joel,

One of the most useful toolsI've found for scribing is something I came across by accident. I was trying to repair a retractable measuring tape and I found that the coil spring was broken. It's made out of the same kind of steel that used to be used for banding crates and boxes.It's thin enough and flexible enough to bend to the curves of wings and fuselage and provides a strong, sharp edge to scribe against. I cut mine into several different lengths with some tin snips, as shown below.

scribing%20guides_zpsxqqjcmdn.jpg

Be sure to trim off the corners at each end and file the ends smooth as these are very sharp and can damage your model, as well as your fingers! I use a thin piece of masking tape to hold down one end for long stretches.

Hope this is useful to you, my friend,

Russ

Great idea.......when I worked on the Douglas production floor we had rolls of thin steel we used for checking fastener head gaps. It was about 1/2 in. wide and came in various thicknesses with some being less than paper thin up to a few thousands thick. Can't remember the exact name of the stuff but it's very much the same as what you're working with.

E.

Russ,

Now that's a great idea. Right now I'm starting to use Dymo tape, but those steel bands will last a life time.

Joel

Thanks, Joel. Don't throw away the Dymo tape. You'll need it for the tight bends and curves. BTW, if you cut the Dymo tape cleanly in half, you can use both halves for scribing and it will go twice as far. Also, the thinner strips will follow curves better.

Cheers,

Russ

Edited by striker8241

Great idea.......when I worked on the Douglas production floor we had rolls of thin steel we used for checking fastener head gaps. It was about 1/2 in. wide and came in various thicknesses with some being less than paper thin up to a few thousands thick. Can't remember the exact name of the stuff but it's very much the same as what you're working with.

E.

Thanks, Wardog, and welcome! Thinner strips would be handy too as they could follow tighter curves. Do you know if anyone sells those rolls of metal strip?

Cheers,

Russ

Thanks, Wardog, and welcome! Thinner strips would be handy too as they could follow tighter curves. Do you know if anyone sells those rolls of metal strip?

Cheers,

Russ

I did a quick internet search and nothing came up; doesn't help that I cant remember the name though. I also worked on the Northrop F-18 production line and they didn't use that stuff as most inspectors and mechanics used feeler gauges instead. Maybe a more thorough search will reveal some answers.

E.

I got tired of scribing so I spent some time correcting and updating my cargo floor. The floor pattern is an image pieced together from photos I found on the internet, then printed out on photo paper.

Cheers and thanks for looking!

Russ

IvscfL.jpg

Edited by striker8241

Quick update. I thought correcting the ramp door and detailing it would be pretty straight forward but it turned into a real struggle. The front edge of the door is almost correct as it comes in the kit, but there was still a large error that I had to correct. Why Italeri couldn't have done it right in the first place just amazes me.

L42DLB.jpg

Also they left off the ramp bumper which would have been simple to mold. Instead, they added raised panel lines to represent it. I kluged one together using Bondo (thanks, Joel). Here are some pictures.

7iG0Lg.jpg

gisUld.jpg

8rLg5a.jpg

Cheers, and thanks for looking!

Russ

Edited by striker8241

Russ, I've been at war with PE for a few years now, and my results aren't near what you've been able to consistently achieve. I keep on telling my brother that it's called plastic modeling for a reason. :bandhead2:/>

Joel

I took a break from scribing again and did some work on the APU. The panel lines were not quite right and in correcting those, I discovered that the ram air inlet at the upper left of the fairing was too big. A little Bondo took care of that. Below are a couple of pictures. Also, the Flightpath PE exhaust was too small so I fabricated my own.

wWyHi5.jpg

Everything is tacked in place for the moment until I can get my spray booth operational.

vsVOmX.jpg

Cheers, and thanks for looking!

Edited by striker8241