1/72 scale C-130E Rivet Clamp Special Operations Aircraft

I finally finished scribing the fuselage (not correcting all the mistakes though) and I've started with the cargo area interior detail. The side and top detail needs to be completed before I can add detail to the cargo floor itself. I detailed the troop  doors and added the tracks. The pictures below show the right side door temporarily tacked in place to see how it will look.

Cheers and thanks for looking!

KKwUob.jpg

wZBmq6.jpg

Edited by striker8241

Russ,

I'm more then impressed with that door.

Joel

Thanks, Joel. It came out better that I thought it would :)/>. BTW, it appears the port holes are quite a bit too large. I industriously filled in the holes and re-drilled them, sanded, etc. ... and then realized the outside of the doors won't be visible anyway. Duh.

Hi, Trojan,

It was pieced together from photos then printed out on glossy photo paper and glued to the doors. I made the handles from scrap to add some relief. I also cut out the center of the porthole in the photo paper and shaped it inward with the rounded end of a paint brush, then added glaze to make the porthole window.

Cheers,

Russ

Since I already had most of the chaff dispensers built, I went ahead and completed them and then installed them. It's been over 40 years and I just can't remember exactly how they were installed in the aircraft but I suspect it was something like this.

Cheers, and thanks for looking!

VvYcbd.jpg

6F2wpB.jpg

Edited by striker8241

Cool beans, guys! What outfits were you with and where did you jump?

Third Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment. Jumped from C-130E, H, & J-30.

Keep up the good work.

Hi, All,

Hope everybody had a happy and safe 4th! I did a few updates over the holiday and made a few PONR decisions. First, I decided to detail the nose landing gear strut even though it will be hard to see, just to see how far I could go with it. The photos below show the original strut assembly and the modified strut assembly. I left the pivot points alone as I didn't want to weaken the strut any further. I did add a steel shaft in the center of the strut to strengthen it. I wanted to add the hydraulic hoses but I've been unable to find any images that show how they were attached and routed.

9VYyjL.jpg

I committed to gluing in the cockpit module to the right side fuselage half since I need the cockpit's rear bulkhead (forward cargo bulkhead) in place to add the Talon consoles. But before I did that, I went ahead and cut off the nose - I didn't want to be cutting the plastic later on with the cockpit detail just a few millimeters away. A further commitment was to go ahead and glue in the cargo deck to the right fuselage half since that's where the Spec Ops consoles will go. Also I will need a reference point for the overhead detail, especially for the removable section.

2UrEw4.jpg

I added some details to the forward bulkhead such as the pump assembly and radio equipment over the access door, and the fire extinguisher. I haven't done any weathering and don't plan to at this point - I just don't trust myself not to mess things up. Maybe later I will add some.

I also added glaze to the porthole windows rather than inserting those myopic kit windows. I'll do the overhead detail next before adding the Talon consoles since there is a lot of ducting to incorporate over and behind it.

So that's where things stand so far. Many thanks for looking in!

Cheers,

Russ

Edited by striker8241

Russ,

That's really quite improvement with the front landing gear strut. Impressive to say the least. As for weathering. Just a simple dark oil wash to bring out the details and add some depth is all that you'll need. Believe me, as good as it looks now, it will look that much better. Just test a small area to see the results for yourself.

Joel

Looks great Russ. Cant wait to see your work on the RO/EWO console. Don't forget the rack on top of it for the LS gear. A3 bags of LPUs, O2, etc...

-Jeff