1/72 scale C-130E Rivet Clamp Special Operations Aircraft

Russ,

That's really quite improvement with the front landing gear strut. Impressive to say the least. As for weathering. Just a simple dark oil wash to bring out the details and add some depth is all that you'll need. Believe me, as good as it looks now, it will look that much better. Just test a small area to see the results for yourself.

Joel

Hey thanks, Joel! And thanks for the weathering suggestion. That oil wash - is it using oil paints, as with linseed oil for thinner? What color do you recommend - burnt umber or black, or some other?

Cheers,

Russ

On 7/6/2015 at 9:55 AM, ST0RM said:

Looks great Russ. Cant wait to see your work on the RO/EWO console. Don't forget the rack on top of it for the LS gear. A3 bags of LPUs, O2, etc...

-Jeff

Thanks, Jeff! Was the rack directly over the consoles? The only picture I have of the consoles is below and shows a rack to the left over the entry way. The 90tth SOS aircraft had an early mod of the C-130E but didn't receive the full Talon upgrade until after I left. Unfortunately, I spent most of my time on the C-123 Black Bats. The Blackbirds had their own ECM troops but we repaired some of their systems and spent most of our time at the back of the aircraft so I don't have a good recollection of the layout of the console area.

WBJqm4.jpg

Photo courtesy of Michal Block http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/michael_block/mc-130e_combat_talon_i/index.php

Cheers,

Russ

Edited by striker8241

Great info, guys. Thanks very much!

Now another question - were there electronic equipment racks against the left forward side of the aircraft between the wheel well and the forward access door? I know there were some between the right wheel well and the right side troop door, as shown below. It's likely the location of extra electronic equipment was pretty much the same in the pre-Talon aircraft as in the Talon I since free space in the aircraft was extremely limited.

xZXw6t.jpg

Photo courtesy of Michal Block

Edited by striker8241

Hey thanks, Joel! And thanks for the weathering suggestion. That oil wash - is it using oil paints, as with linseed oil for thinner? What color do you recommend - burnt umber or black, or some other?

Cheers,

Russ

Russ,

Actually, I use both Model Master enamels and oil paints for my washes, and both work just fine. I heavily thin each with Mineral Spirits to a consistency of lets say skin milk. For interiors I generally like to go with a brownish wash made from either Burnt Umber or even Raw Sienna. I don't use black for anything but the recessed demarcation lines around the various flying surfaces.

Joel

Looks great Russ. Cant wait to see your work on the RO/EWO console. Don't forget the rack on top of it for the LS gear. A3 bags of LPUs, O2, etc...

-Jeff

Hey, Jeff,

Your comment sent me researching again to try and determine the actual layout of the Talon systems in 1971. I went back and read through the Praetorian Starship and reviewed all the images I've managed to collect. My memory is vague but of one thing I'm certain, the front consoles housed the ground sensor system and the LLLTV and FLIR systems. Since the second nav seat was not added to the cockpit area until the Mod 70 upgrade (prior to the Talon I upgrade) starting in the 70's, he had to have a position back in the Talon compartment and I suspect it was at the front console next to the sensors operator. He probably helped with the sensor systems. There were two other consoles - one for the EWO and one for the special ops radio operator. Apparently these consoles were done away with in the Mod 70 upgrade and their functions moved to the front console, where they remain today. The FLIR and LLLTV appear to have been moved to the second nav position upstairs. I believe the ground sensor system was removed altogether.

Cheers,

Russ

Edited by striker8241

Russ,

I only saw Mod 70 for a short time, as we began transitioning to Mod 90 in the 8th SOS, upon my arrival in late 1991. And ours were all Clamp (Fulton nose) aircraft, except for 562 & 555 which arrived later post Mod 90. However, I did see an ex-1st SOS Mod 70 MC-130E(Y) slick nose bird once, during their transition to the Talon II.

I'm trying to find my photo albums and I know I've got a photo of the RO/EWO console. But it was a single console for the two of them. The loads would joke that in the event of a crash, the last words from the EWO to the RO would be "you know I've always loved you".

Cheers,

Jeff

Interesting. It would be cool if you could find those albums. Was that 64-0555? If so, it was one of the original Talon aircraft at Nha Trang in the early 70s and had the Fulton system at that time.

I can imagine the jokes those guys endured having to sit that close together inside that big cargo bay :)/>.

Cheers,

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

I just passed a major milestone - detailing the removable section above the Talon compartment. It was a real trial but I think it turned out ok. Below are some pictures.

The first photo shows the top of the overhead electronics. Naturally, I couldn't model all the detail but I tried to get enough to give a "feeling" of how it looked. I used pictures of the Talon 1 interior as reference since I couldn't find any from the Rivet Plank aircraft, but likely they would be pretty much the same.

X1WepJ.jpg

The next photo shows the overhead detail package installed in the roof segment and the last photo shows how the detail will look installed in the aircraft.

z6U9Pb.jpg

The last photo shows how the removable segment will look installed in the aircraft.

ozp4xM.jpg

Cheers, and thanks for looking,

Russ

Edited by striker8241

Thanks, guys. Frankly, I'm just testing my limits to see how far I can - or want - to take it :)/>/>.

Cheers,

Russ

Russ,

It looks so good that I'd go for the gold, and push it to your limits, and then some.

Joel

Man you sure have an eye for detail. Your technician side really shows. The stuff you're adding are looking very realistic!

Thanks for the good words, Crackerjazz! It's funny, for years after I retired from the Air Force, I laced cables in my dreams... :D/>.

Cheers, and thanks again!

Russ

I have to chime in here as well Russ, the interior detail looks great, :thumbsup:/>/>

What did you line the cargo compartment walls with? Over the ribbing that is?

Thanks, Trojan! :)/>/> I've been experimenting for some time trying to duplicate the insulation inside aircraft but it's difficult to find the right material for this scale. The covering I'm using in this model is ordinary food wrap spray-painted. I found that attaching it with white glue was best because you frequently need to readjust it as you go. Unfortunately, I haven't found a suitable material yet to put in between the ribbing so the effect you see is actually the reverse of what you would see in the real aircraft. It sorta gives the "impression" of insulation, if you don't look too closely... :D/>/>. What I need is a thin, sponge-like material that can be cut into strips and shaped somewhat. So far, I haven't found anything suitable.

UPDATE: The white glue turned out not to be the glue to hold this covering. I've discovered that it doesn't stick to the food wrap very well, at least the brand of food wrap I'm using. The next option is to find another slow-drying glue that does stick or maybe paint both sides to give the glue something to hold onto.

Cheers,

Russ

Edited by striker8241

Hey Storm,

Here's my rendition of the LS rack (BTW, what does "LS" stand for?). The pictures I have don't show the shapes of the articles in the rack very well so I winged it a bit.

Cheers,

Russ

mfs2oY.jpg

LcqCUv.jpg

Edited by striker8241

Hey Storm,

Here's my rendition of the LS rack (BTW, what does "LS" stand for?). The pictures I have don't show the shapes of the articles in the rack very well so I winged it a bit.

Cheers,

Russ

Russ,

LS is Life Support. You're rendition is pretty good.

Everything really looks fantastic.

-Jeff