1/72 scale C-130E Rivet Clamp Special Operations Aircraft

Well, I'm a happy camper - again. I finally finished the Talon compartment and I am glad to be out of it! smile.gif/> Below are some pictures.

o4UcKG.jpg

Here's a view from the back showing the access door with the curtain tied back.

wPvM4S.jpg

And finally, a view with both halves temporarily joined together.

eGxrSK.jpg

Many thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Russ

Edited by striker8241

This is amazing, Russ. You should submit this to one of the aircraft modeling magazines. Work of this amazing awesomeness needs to be shared as widely as possible.

Lol, thanks Walt! Very kind of you, my friend. I think it would be a waste of time, though. They want precise paint jobs and artistic weathering and mine doesn't measure up, at least not yet. In any case, I'm not looking for recognition, just a forum to share what I enjoy with those who have similar likes :)/>.

Cheers, and thanks again!

Russ

Beautiful work so far. Keep it up. I am definitely tuned in. Love the Herk and other large transport, tanker, recon and Marpat aircraft built with detailed interiors.

Thanks, Dutch! I very much appreciate the compliment!

Cheers,

Russ

AMAZING Russ !!! I've flown in quite a few C-130's, not this version unfortunately but, it looks like the real deal, WOW !!!!

Steve

Thanks, A-10! It was the real deal, my friend, although my rendition is not completely accurate - too many years and too many aircraft ago. Imagine these guys flying 200 ft off the deck at high speed through mountainous and jungle terrain at night without lights, far from any friendly help, with hundreds of SAM and AAA sites and aircraft searching for them. Talk about a wild ride! Still, I would have loved to fly a mission with them - just to see how our equipment performed of course...

Cheers, and thanks again!

Russ

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, All,

I've managed to complete the detailing of the right side cargo bay back to the paratroop door. Some pictures are shown below. The area between the forward set of jump seats and the auxiliary boost pump was too bare so I added some detail. I also added the three jump seats in front of the main landing gear well.

XXAXoa.jpg

I built a cabinet around the chaff dispensers and magazines (see below). I'm going out on a limb here as I don't remember how this area was structured, but the ALE-27 chaff dispensers were extremely loud when operating and I suspect some sort of cabinet was placed around them to reduce the noise. I've shown the front doors of the cabinet removed for maintenance and temporarily placed on a nearby jump seat (Safety would probably frown on this).

I added an electronics rack between the chaff dispensers and the side door. A bigger rack like this is shown in the later Talon I upgrade (the chaff system was moved), and I suspect this area was also used on the Rivet Clamp aircraft, especially since there was limited space available. The screen across the front of the rack is to protect the equipment from damage while moving cargo in and out, and from people working close by. I also added a headset cable and an oxygen hose to the end of the rack. I was happy to finally install the sliding paratroop door since I think it adds a lot of character to this area.

954hjG.jpg

Next will be the ramp overhead detail and the inside of the tail section to complete the right side fuselage, then I'll do the same for the left side fuselage.

Many thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Russ

Edited by striker8241

Russ;

The photos showing the impressive detail you've achieved are fantastic.

But, those photos showing you holding the fuselage just blew me away. They really show the relative small size of the detail you've achieved at 1/72 scale.

An awesome build! :worship:

John

As many times as I've gone over my pictures of the original Rivet Clamp aircraft, I just discovered something I missed before - the Rivet Clamp aircraft had ALE-27 chaff dispensers on both sides of the aircraft. Now I'll have to cut out the chaff ports on the left side as well. However, internally I'll only add the cabinet with the doors closed. :doh:/>

C'est la vie!

As many times as I've gone over my pictures of the original Rivet Clamp aircraft, I just discovered something I missed before - the Rivet Clamp aircraft had ALE-27 chaff dispensers on both sides of the aircraft. Now I'll have to cut out the chaff ports on the left side as well. However, internally I'll only add the cabinet with the doors closed. :doh:/>/>

C'est la vie!

Yeah we were all going to mention that :)

Excellent stuff Russ.

Haydn.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you having trouble sleeping, here's a small update... smile.gif

I drilled out the left side chaff dispenser ports and added the chaff dispenser cabinet. BTW, installing the chaff equipment on the original aircraft resulted in removing the inside port window next to the troop door..

wvzmgZ.jpg

Following that happy experience, I've begun adding more detail to the left side interior. Keep in mind that the cargo deck is mounted to the right fuselage half so the location of some of the detail relative to the floor is misleading. When the two halves are together, the deck runs just under the bottom of the chaff cabinet.

6F2wpB.jpg

Ok, back to sleep... 709-457.gif ...and thanks for looking! biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Russ

Edited by striker8241