B-26A Invader in Korea

I´m currently working on the Revell 1/72 A-26B Invader. I want to do the "black" aircraft that flew during the Korean War.

Did these Invaders really wore glossy black? I´d thought it would be matt...

HAJO

I read that when they were developing night camo for the P-61 in WWII they painted three Black Widows as an experiment: one standard Olive Drab/Neutral Gray, one Flat Black, and one Gloss Black. The plan was to fly all three through a searchlight beam and see which camo worked best. The searchlight crew reported seeing the OD and Flat Black aircraft, and asked when the third one was coming..and were told it already had. Seems gloss black sucks in light far better than flat black, and doesn't weather nearly as badly.

I would recommend not using straight black on a model though, especially gloss..makes it a bit too stark and toy-like. I'd use a semi-gloss mix of maybe 15 parts black to one part white.

SN

Roger, I was already planning of lighting up the black a little bit. Looks like the more interesting point will be to mix some sort of clear cote that´s not to shiny, but also not completely matt. I will have to put a final clear cote on to make the decals blend in into the paint-job.

HAJO