Kitty Hawk F11F Tiger project reportedly declared dead

Despite the venerable Paul Boyer's heroic crusade, we still can't seem to get a 1/72 FJ-3. So while we're discussing reasons as to why certain kits are/should not be produced, what's the consensus (ha ha) as to why the beautiful FJ-3 is totally ignored in all scales in the face of there being an obvious (?) market?

Gene K

EDIT: You'd think at least xx would copy the excellent 1/48 Collect Aire resin kit.

The initials wouldn't happen to be HB would they? Especially considering the F-86E has been well kitted by Hasegawa and Academy. Not forgetting the old Monogram effort. You'd think a Fury would be a no brainer being a Navy Sabre.

Agreed - this was 1:32 F11F, not F11F..... There's still hope of 1:48 F11F, so we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully KH will have something to show us at Nationals here in ten days!

ZM is unveiling their 1/48 Phantom at the Nats. The older photo that first suggested that they may be doing a Phantom also had some shapes next to the phantoms that looked very much like F11 Tigers. Maybe ZM will be embarking on some USN jets.

The initials wouldn't happen to be HB would they? Especially considering the F-86E has been well kitted by Hasegawa and Academy. Not forgetting the old Monogram effort. You'd think a Fury would be a no brainer being a Navy Sabre.

Well, let's hope no manufacturer falls into the trap that Esci did back in the '70s. They made a 1/48 Sabre kit, added a few extra parts and packaged it as an FJ-3 Fury. You can't really get a Fury from a Sabre; just about every part of the machines are different and significantly so. Sure, from a thousand feet (or about 20 feet in 1/48 scale) they look alike, but they're not gonna fool me!

• 3 years later...

No confirmation that I could find on scale.  Nice how they don’t include any other objects so you get a sense of size.

They included in a FB post with 3 other pics of an Su-25.  Makes me wonder if it wasn’t an oops 

They'd sell far more kits if they make the F11F 1/48. What scale is the Su-25? Based on the details of the pavement both models are sitting on, I'd hazard a guess that they're both the same scale.

Ben

Not to derail the topic....as I've been curious about this release also but...I was kinda sorta, y'know, thinkin' about it and sorta wonderin' maybe if they had forgotten all about the (soon to be released) 1/32 F-84F.

Guess the T-Flash didn't do so hot?  Was that grounds for not popping the 'Streak?

(Asking for a friend)

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2019 at 3:33 AM, VADM Fangschleister said:

Not to derail the topic....as I've been curious about this release also but...I was kinda sorta, y'know, thinkin' about it and sorta wonderin' maybe if they had forgotten all about the (soon to be released) 1/32 F-84F.

Guess the T-Flash didn't do so hot?  Was that grounds for not popping the 'Streak?

(Asking for a friend)

I was involved in providing research for the Streak and the Flash (2013-2015). I believe Glen Coleman went to great efforts and even travelled to Denmark to research the Flash...however, KH decided to place the 2 Cold War Warriors projects in the fridge in favour of other projects to generate profits...logical although the Streak and Flash are sought after kits in 32. Same goes for the Tiger. Both 48 and 32 would sell well.  Wait and see is all we can do...

Thanks Tim,

I think I heard or read about it as such but don't remember where or from whom...so it stored in my memory as an imagined belief until you said otherwise. 

Either of those subjects would certainly be fun.  The F-11 in Blue Angels colors would be sweet.   I tried to order the Combat 1/32 F-84F but the person I emailed got the communication so bollocks'd I begged off. I requested the correct kit # and asked for pricing/availability and got a quote for an entirely different kit and such so I figured if they cannot do that right, why bother?  I don't want to pay for something I don't want. 

It often happens that many of the people in the hobby business are not aware, through no fault of their own that an F-84E/G is not a "F" but makes no difference to them.  This is not precisely what happened but I am using a simple example.  In any case, though kits abound in the world today of a great many subjects that are quite incredible, none of them are anything I want.  A 1/32 B-17 is certainly awesome and cool but...my tastes run to cold war jets and they are getting attention in 1/48, especially with the MiG-25 love that's been happening and some others.  But I still desperately desire a 1/32 F-106 to add to the F-100, F-105, F-104 already kitted.  Sorely missing are the Deuce and the 'Six.  On a side note, the huge overpopulation of the Navy and air forces around the world with F-4's seemed (back then) to make a statement about the upcoming single-aircraft/multirole mission capability that so many politicians seemed to believe was simply a matter of a pen-wag.  (*sigh*)

In any case, an F-84F or F-11F in 1/32, being of roughly the same era would be a definite purchase for me. 

On 5/8/2019 at 4:07 AM, HomeBe said:

Hard to tell if this is a CAD or a test mule photo. Anyone have a thought on that? I would love to see a 1/48 Tiger finally in IM plastic. The FM kit while accurate is just a bear to build with all the multi media. I commend all those that have done it. It's probably my favorite jet. Just a beautiful design. Come on KH, I'll buy a few.

2 hours ago, jpk said:

Hard to tell if this is a CAD or a test mule photo. Anyone have a thought on that? I would love to see a 1/48 Tiger finally in IM plastic. The FM kit while accurate is just a bear to build with all the multi media. I commend all those that have done it. It's probably my favorite jet. Just a beautiful design. Come on KH, I'll buy a few.

Because of the “milling” lines longitudinally on the fuselage and the discontinuity on the fuselage between the trailing edge of the wing and the leading edge of the stabilator, I thought it might be either 3-D printed or a quick and dirty milling of plastic blocks from CAD software.

5 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

Because of the “milling” lines longitudinally on the fuselage and the discontinuity on the fuselage between the trailing edge of the wing and the leading edge of the stabilator, I thought it might be either 3-D printed or a quick and dirty milling of plastic blocks from CAD software.

Either way, it may be not so "dead" then and we may see a 48 or 32 scale Tiger appear in the near future?

10 hours ago, jpk said:

Yes Tommy, I saw those things you pointed out as well so that led me to think it was an actual test mule. Usually if something is a CAD image it is a lot smoother. The photo example is certainly not that. I sure hope they do it. 

Since I work with 3d software almost every day: I can 100% guarantee that the image is a CGI 3D model rendered using a HDRI image. My guess maybe rendered in ether Arnold or Keyshot.

Those are NOT milling lines. The edges are polygon edges as the curved surface geometry is not dense enough for a smooth arc.

Simply a CG model nothing more.

Edited by j-fever
9 hours ago, j-fever said:

Since I work with 3d software almost every day: I can 100% guarantee that the image is a CGI 3D model rendered using a HDRI image. My guess maybe rendered in ether Arnold or Keyshot.

Those are NOT milling lines. The edges are polygon edges as the curved surface geometry is not dense enough for a smooth arc.

Simply a CG model nothing more.

Thanks

Along with the Tiger there were shots of a Frogfoot on the same surface/background. Someone pointed out that the aircraft was still sitting correctly even though the entire right main landing gear was missing! 

Me, personally, I would go with these being recycled CAD images with a new background. 

I could always be wrong, but that's my two cents from what I saw..