Aperrantly, I passed out today while out with my family. I was cooking out on the grill and I got really dizzy and lightheaded. I made it over to my truck and was about to get in. We were just across the street so it wouldn't have taken my but a few seconds to be to my house. Well, last thing I remember is waking up with everybody around my trying to wake me up and sit me upright. After a few minutes, I was right back to my old self and felt fine. Not sure what it was that made me pass out as this was the first time this has happened. To be on the safe side, my mom had the paramedics come over and check me out. They said all was fine. Scared my family, though.

It may have been nothing serious. If you had been standing with your legs straight and locked for an extended period of time while grilling that would be a likely cause.

Yep, I would say that may have been the cause. I know that when I was in ROTC in college, We had a formation where we were standing at attention out on the parade field and one of our fellow, female cadets passed slam out. She was out before she hit the ground because there was no attempt by her to extend her arms to catch herself at all. Luckily we were on grass instead of asphalt or concrete. She fell out so fast that no one had time to catch here, plus it was pretty warm that day too.

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

One of the squad leaders during battalion inspection knocked one of his teeth out on the parade deck.

But you should still go get yourself checked out. I tend not to give doctors enough credit, but they are great at finding the roots of common problems.

dd05085b73f7fb1c3eb03835341ceefa.jpg

The first thing I thought of too.

hope you are alright. Could be some heat contribution too. Its a wet oven where I am. Just sapps energy and combine it with a grill and some dehydration and before you know it...

Glad you're okay, but you really do need to follow up with your primary care physician. There is *some* reason you passed out, and while it may be no big deal, paramedics aren't qualified to diagnose anything.

It happened to me. Went to the bathroom in the middle of the night and the next thing I knew I was on the bathroom floor.

Went to the hospital and spent a day and half there. They ran every test they could think of. Didn't find anything wrong.

All they could figure out it had something to do with a venal vein in the back of my head.

I would go and get it checked out. Hope everything turns out ok.

Mike

I certainly agree with Jennings and Recon, go to your primary care physician, and let him/her make the diagnosis of your health condition. As far as I know none of us are doctors who would consider posting that you're most likely alright without at least examining you. While the odds are greatly in your favor that it was just heat related, that's an educated guess from your description of the events prior to you passing out. General health condition, meds your currently taking, etc. can all be factors that need to be considered. Everyone's personal history of similar medical events are just comparisons of similar instances. My advise is to go to your doctor. Passing out under those conditions really isn't common place unless you have a medical condition that heat would really effect.

Joel

Thanks everybody for the kind words. I went to the doctor yesterday and he told my it could've been the combination of not enough sleep, empty stomach, and dehydration. It may have been that my blood sugar bottomed out, as diabetes runs in my family. The paramedics checked my sugar and it was 141. A little high, but not too bad. I'm thinking it was lack of sleep and dehydration and that the heat kinda got to me as well. But, besides scaring the crap out of my family, I'm back to 100%

I almost had it happen to me while in ROTC in high school. Was in formation, and I was the company guidon bearer. Was standing at Parade Rest, and locked my knee's and after about 5 minutes, started getting tunnel vision and swaying back & forth. The guidon helped keep me from going down to the ground, but one of the guys in the formation behind me was able to catch me as I was moving around was what really me from hitting the ground. Never passed out but got pretty close.

Yep, I would say that may have been the cause. I know that when I was in ROTC in college, We had a formation where we were standing at attention out on the parade field and one of our fellow, female cadets passed slam out. She was out before she hit the ground because there was no attempt by her to extend her arms to catch herself at all. Luckily we were on grass instead of asphalt or concrete. She fell out so fast that no one had time to catch here, plus it was pretty warm that day too.

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

A friend of mine had that happen to him several years ago. He was telling me that what causes it is the pressure of your bladder causes a restriction on the blood vessels around the bladder, and that the sudden release of urine removes that restriction, causing momentary low blood pressure, and sometimes its low enough to cause loss of consciousness. He said he came to wedged between the toilet & the bathtub with a big knot on his forehead from hitting the back of the toilet as he went down.

It happened to me. Went to the bathroom in the middle of the night and the next thing I knew I was on the bathroom floor.

Went to the hospital and spent a day and half there. They ran every test they could think of. Didn't find anything wrong.

All they could figure out it had something to do with a venal vein in the back of my head.

I would go and get it checked out. Hope everything turns out ok.

Mike

If you feel yourself getting dizzy.....it is usually temporary low blood pressure. The best move is to just immediately lie down and wait a few minutes. Getting your head at the same elevation as the heart will restore things. The human body is a complicated machine.....occasional low blood pressure is somewhat normal. Some people suffer from chronic low blood pressure when they get older as some suffer from high blood pressure.

Also....if you squat for a few minutes and stand up.....it is very easy to bring on a bout of dizziness as the blood flows into the legs.

All these things become more common as you get older.

As long as you checked with an MD you have done what is best. My daughter passed out yesterday too, but we were able to fix that right up. Still she will be attending a MDs office as soon as ours can get us an appointment.

As for parade square faints. Boy I have dealt with a few of those over the years.

Favorite was the guy who fainted on his FNC1 (with fixed bayonet) and scratched up the guy in the front rank pretty good.

This

Glad you're okay, but you really do need to follow up with your primary care physician. There is *some* reason you passed out, and while it may be no big deal, paramedics aren't qualified to diagnose anything.

:D/>/>, Added to what I've already said I agree with those who've said "see your doctor". Having been a trainee paramedic, they aren't qualified to officially diagnose anything. All they can do is use their knowledge to give on scene treatment and then transport to hospital continuing treatment on the way. Ryan, all the things you described are likely to cause what happened to you. 4 1/2 years ago I spent a fortnight in the hospital where I work with delirium. Three of the things that can cause this are a chest infection, sleep deprivation and withdrawal from a drug. I had all 3 at the same time. The drug was a legal prescription drug which I'd been taking for 10 years. When I got out of hospital I found out that no one should take that drug for more than 6 months and I'd been on it for so long. Because of the chest infection and sleep deprivation I'd mixed up my days, nights and shifts and missed 2 or 3 of the tablets.

There are many things that can cause us to faint so I'm glad you got it checked out. In 1970 I passed out of the ATC Flight at my high school. The Passing Out Parade was on a very warm (for October) afternoon and we were in full dress (ie winter) uniform. One of our Air Cadets literally passed out. We were standing at the present arms postion at the time. He went down backwards and his rifle (Lee Enfield 303 in those days) went down right between his legs directly inline with the centre of his body. I'm told it looked impressive from the grand stand. From where I was standing as a supernumary NCO at the rear of the Flight I only saw him go down but even that was fairly impressive to a 17 year old.

:cheers:/>/>,

Ross.

Edited by ross blackford