I know that the MH-53s were retired in 08 but a MH-53 looking heil just flew over my house, it was definatley a CH-53 family heli but had the inflight refueling probe and the bumps on the nose, does anyone know if any MH-53s are still flying? Thanks :cheers:

I know that the MH-53s were retired in 08 but a MH-53 looking heil just flew over my house, it was definatley a CH-53 family heli but had the inflight refueling probe and the bumps on the nose, does anyone know if any MH-53s are still flying? Thanks :cheers:/>/>

The Pave lows were retired,

0929625.jpg

Past

You may have seen one of these:

1269502.jpg

Present

The lastest -53, the CH-53K is due to fly its first flight in July (after delays of course)

ch-53k_rollout_500.jpg

Future

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

Holy crap I didn't realize they changed it so much. From what I understood it was going to basically remain the same only have wider rotor blades and bigger sponson's. I didnt think they were going to widen it and change the profile of the tail again too. That thing is crazy looking. I have been told the new 53K can lift a 10K total more than the 53E. Also the 53K is supposed to be better on gas at the same time. Not sure what better on gas means when the Marine Corp uses millions of gallons a day but hey whatever props your ship up right.

Holy crap I didn't realize they changed it so much. From what I understood it was going to basically remain the same only have wider rotor blades and bigger sponson's. I didnt think they were going to widen it and change the profile of the tail again too. That thing is crazy looking. I have been told the new 53K can lift a 10K total more than the 53E. Also the 53K is supposed to be better on gas at the same time. Not sure what better on gas means when the Marine Corp uses millions of gallons a day but hey whatever props your ship up right.

I assume you are talking about the CH-53K and not the Transformer?! :rofl:

Lots of changes in it, a lot more horsies for better cost and god willing less maint.

http://intercepts.defensenews.com/2014/05/sikorskys-king-stallion-rollout-come-to-the-ch-53k-party/

Yes the Navy still operates HM-14 and HM-15 out of Norfolk, though the MH-53 is having serious reliability issues at the moment.

Wasn't there like only 1-2 airframes flying a month or so ago? Forgot what the problem was but it sounded pretty bad.

I'm not entirely sure how many they are operating right now, I think the fleet of 53's were red striped a while back but I haven't heard anything since. I had a buddy I went to high school with go down in one off the coast here in Virginia back in 2005(I think). Crew survived, main gear box failed so they lost the rotor brake. he said it sucked because they had to wait for the 90 foot rotor to stop spinning to get out, while they were sinking.

I'm not entirely sure how many they are operating right now, I think the fleet of 53's were red striped a while back but I haven't heard anything since. I had a buddy I went to high school with go down in one off the coast here in Virginia back in 2005(I think). Crew survived, main gear box failed so they lost the rotor brake. he said it sucked because they had to wait for the 90 foot rotor to stop spinning to get out, while they were sinking.

Did a quick Google search, found this:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/investigations/sea-dragon-down-human-cost-navys-most-crash-prone-chopper-n281636

Pretty grim, don't think I'd ever want to fly in one of these things.

• 2 weeks later...

A 53 ride was better then a 46 ride, YMMV.

Outside the larger fuel tanks and mission, what is different between the Navy and Marine bird? We retired the D's a few years back and last I recall have a number of E's, the supply chain could be used, no?

All the 53s are just used up with the GWoT. It's also why the presidenial unit no longer flies 53s and went to the osprey.

I was told in 2007 there were none left in the boneyard, all having been pulled for parts or restoration. Never really checked into it though...