Best 1/72 Kit for early F-15e

I want to build a 1/72 f-15e as the first production Strike Eagle (86-0183), but not sure which kit to use as a starting point. The newer hasegawa kits seem to be accurate for a recent F-15e, but not sure what changes would be needed for backdating. Thoughts?

Hi,

I guess it should be close to Hasegawa's F-15E (recessed lines) prior to updating..

One reference is K27 (0427) and same kit has been released by Revell (I don't believe Revell also reboxed newer Hasegawa F-15E upgraded model).

86-183 decals are included in original K27 Hasegawa boxing.

Eric B.

Edited by Eric B.

I'll have to have a look. Earlier hasegawa boxings just looked liked -15D's to me like their 1/48 line which is why I wanted to avoid that. Guess I could just use the newer mold and and try to match it up with what a Revell 1/48 -15E looks like out of the box, since that is closer to the period I'm looking to recreate.

Not worried about decals as I have the superscale sheet with the rollout markings which is what I'm going for anyway.

Thanks for the input!

What timeframe are you looking to make? If you're going for this:

156zpyd.jpg

Then you don't need to worry about the CFTs, you get that in just about any Hasegawa F-15E like Eric said.

Otherwise, I'd get the newest boxing with all the parts for the latest Mudhens and just use what you need for 86-0183. Besides, who doesn't like spare parts?

You can see the instructions here.

I want to build a 1/72 f-15e as the first production Strike Eagle (86-0183), but not sure which kit to use as a starting point. The newer hasegawa kits seem to be accurate for a recent F-15e, but not sure what changes would be needed for backdating. Thoughts?

I did not think there were any Accurate F-15E models in 1/72, aren't they all repops of the D model with CFT's and Bombs added? This is not my scale but have looked at the ESCI, Hasegawa, Fujimi and Monogram kit and they were all D models, not even preproduction accurate.

I did not think there were any Accurate F-15E models in 1/72, aren't they all repops of the D model with CFT's and Bombs added? This is not my scale but have looked at the ESCI, Hasegawa, Fujimi and Monogram kit and they were all D models, not even preproduction accurate.

AFAIK Hasegawa released another boxing with a "correct" F-15E in 1/72.

Hasegawa tooled a number of new sprues to enhance their standard F-15 kits. The newer boxings are a vast improvement over any other F-15E kit in 1/72 and will get you very close to an accurate model. There are still a few other changes that need to be made, but they are comparatively small. With all the parts in the new standard F-15E box, you will be able to build an early F-15E without problem.

Probably the best F-15E kit in small scale would be Fujimi, but was undersize at around 1/76 and quickly disappeared from the market.

Hasegawa tooled a number of new sprues to enhance their standard F-15 kits. The newer boxings are a vast improvement over any other F-15E kit in 1/72 and will get you very close to an accurate model. There are still a few other changes that need to be made, but they are comparatively small. With all the parts in the new standard F-15E box, you will be able to build an early F-15E without problem.

Probably the best F-15E kit in small scale would be Fujimi, but was undersize at around 1/76 and quickly disappeared from the market.

As I recall it was OVERSIZE to 1/72. Gotta wonder if heads rolled after that one. Yikes.

I'm safe then,but for the SMTD I do need another Strike Eagle or the WPD set for the Bicentennial boxing,but first I need some good reference photos of the 2d nozzles that were installed

100_2573.jpg

don't mind Idolmaster crap I'm indeed into pvc and resin figure but not into it,those were more cheap than evilbay and HS/HLJ prices

Edited by Mizar

AFAIK Hasegawa released another boxing with a "correct" F-15E in 1/72.

I know there is a new? Hasegawa F-15 C/D mold, I think the molds are still 15 years old but did not think or hear of a new mold Mudhen. As this is not my scale I can only vouch for the kits I previously stated.

I know there is a new? Hasegawa F-15 C/D mold, I think the molds are still 15 years old but did not think or hear of a new mold Mudhen. As this is not my scale I can only vouch for the kits I previously stated.

See here. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234930856-f-15e-strike-eagle-172-strike-eagle/

Old mold, but extra spruce with improved parts to model an E version.

Edited by Platycqb

I'm safe then,but for the SMTD I do need another Strike Eagle or the WPD set for the Bicentennial boxing,

STOL/MTD was not an E, it was a pre-production B model, 71-0290

STOL/MTD was not an E, it was a pre-production B model, 71-0290

Cockpit instruments were taken and used later in the E prototype?Or at least the very few stuff I have found for this aircraft say so,plus on Ace Combat it's used as multirole,as long I remove the huge probe adding and using the stuff of a Strike Eagle makes more sense

Cockpit instruments were taken and used later in the E prototype?Or at least the very few stuff I have found for this aircraft say so,plus on Ace Combat it's used as multirole,as long I remove the huge probe adding and using the stuff of a Strike Eagle makes more sense

I worked on 71-0290 when it was still in compass ghost gray scheme in 85. I know most of the instrumentation in the cockpit had this nasty bright orange RTV around to prevent undue vibration but looked tacky!

Yes it was just a TF-15B, no E Model mods were done to it except the C/D model wheels. Any B model kit will do...

Just adding a few parts does not make it an accurate rendition of a Mudhen.

Care to elaborate?

Hasegawa put the corrected CFT and pylons, as well as aerials as far as I know.

What's missing/wrong?

Care to elaborate?

Hasegawa put the corrected CFT and pylons, as well as aerials as far as I know.

What's missing/wrong?

The Mudhen is not the same aircraft as a D model with gear doors and CFT's installed. I had made up a retry through listing as to what makes an accurate E. In 1/48 the ProMonoVell E is the most accurate for a Desert Storm bird or just a plain jane E model. The older Hase 1/72 was a D model at best.

The Mudhen is not the same aircraft as a D model with gear doors and CFT's installed. I had made up a retry through listing as to what makes an accurate E. In 1/48 the ProMonoVell E is the most accurate for a Desert Storm bird or just a plain jane E model. The older Hase 1/72 was a D model at best.

I am eager to see the list as most reviews of the Hasegawa re-issue are putting it as a close F-15E out of the box. :unsure:

http://www.internetmodeler.com/scalemodels/flaviation/Hasegawa-1-72-F-15E-Strike-Eagle.php

IPs have been updated.

Arresting hook is taken care of.

They included parts to represent the JFS.

I don't have any actions with Hasegawa, but out of curiosity, I'd like to know what still needs to be tweaked.

Thanks!

Cockpit instruments were taken and used later in the E prototype?

???

The "E prototype" was the other pre-production B model 71-0291 (there were only two) and was called the DRFD - Dual Role Fighter Demonstrator. I've never seen cockpit photos of the S/MTD bu I'm pretty sure they weren't what ended up in the DRFD.