Any interest in a 160th SOAR reference CD?

We are going with $25.00 as the sale price, as was stated earlier. However, we have agreed that instead of $5.00 going to the Night Stalkers Association alone, we will be donating a further $5.00 to a Special Forces related charity as well.

I am personally not comfortable with taking pre-orders. I would rather wait until the product is produced, and we all three are happy with the quality and coverage. To be honest with you, as I stated before, I do not feel I have an acceptable amount of coverage of the MH-60M's and MH-47G's of the 4th yet, and a further base visit has been denied. So, I am going to have to rely on what I can get on the 8th of August at a local, public event, or depend on Aaron's visit with the units at Ft Campbell to pick up my slack. So, in my opinion, I am against pre-orders. If Aaron and Floyd have a differing opinion on this, then I will leave that up to them.

I am sincerely grateful to Aaron Drake for approaching me with his offer to help. His effort will ensure that this CD/DVD is complete and features each aircraft that the 160th currently has in inventory. This will greatly increase the value of the CD to you, the modeler/customer. I am equally grateful to Floyd for offering to pick up the logistics/delivery side of the project. This will allow the product to be more widely distributed than it would have been otherwise.

Look forward to September guys! It should be a great time for 160th modelers/enthusiasts everywhere.

Aaron

Looks really good Aaron.

I will buy one in September. Thank you for all your hard work. I know it must have been a hell of a lot work to make that CD and I thank you for it.

Especially someone who just started into helicopter building.

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Good news. My visit to the 160th SOAR compound on Fort Campbell has been approved by the Regimental Commander.

The intent of this visit is to photograph all helicopters (AH-6Ms, MH-6Ms, MH-60 DAPs, MH-6Ms, and MH-47Gs) currently employed by 1st and 2nd Battalion. In addition, I will have access to the air crew to ask them questions about the aircraft. If anyone has any specific requests, post them here or PM me and I will do my best to accommodate them. That being said, under no circumstances will I compromise anything of a sensitive nature (classified equipment; sensitive tactics, techniques, and procedures; identity of unit members; etc.).

Many thanks to Aaron Rhodes for including me in his project and to Floyd Werner for his contributions as well.

Good news. My visit to the 160th SOAR compound on Fort Campbell has been approved by the Regimental Commander.

The intent of this visit is to photograph all helicopters (AH-6Ms, MH-6Ms, MH-60 DAPs, MH-6Ms, and MH-47Gs) currently employed by 1st and 2nd Battalion. In addition, I will have access to the air crew to ask them questions about the aircraft. If anyone has any specific requests, post them here or PM me and I will do my best to accommodate them. That being said, under no circumstances will I compromise anything of a sensitive nature (classified equipment; sensitive tactics, techniques, and procedures; identity of unit members; etc.).

Many thanks to Aaron Rhodes for including me in his project and to Floyd Werner for his contributions as well.

It's probably off-limits but I guess it never hurts to ask - There has been a good amount of discussion about the H-6 exhaust diverter which was documented being used by AH-6's during Operation Gothic Serpent. If they have any details about it's configuration or better yet, pictures, I'd love to know more. Fairly sure that this will fall into the sensitive category but as I said, it never hurts to ask....

Also, any pics of individual aircraft markings (names, logos etc) would be nice. Not sure if current helos have any personal markings or just the standard "US Army" and serial number.

Thanks and good luck on your visit.

John

Can you ask them when they expect to get the Block III A/MH-6M flying and where they are sourcing their composite main rotor blades from? Both answers are probably classified but hopefully it won't hurt to ask. Could you also ask them if this was one of their NOTAR Little Birds? Thanks.

d90a171d-38a6-4702-9c0e-633dba3feb3d_zpsmxivxvb6.png

LD.

I suppose it is OK for to me add to this thread that James Green and Graham Stevens have both given me the go ahead to add hi res versions of their 160th Little Bird pics to the DVD. This should help fill in some of the older aircraft.

Ray

I suppose it is OK for to me add to this thread that James Green and Graham Stevens have both given me the go ahead to add hi res versions of their 160th Little Bird pics to the DVD. This should help fill in some of the older aircraft.

Ray

Good stuff! Are these pics that were previously posted in the Littlebird thread or are there some new ones?

Ray

Awesome Ray. Can you send them over to me then, so I can get them added? I'll PM you both my E-mail and snail-mail address here in a minute, and you can send them whichever way you see fit.

Aaron

Awesome Ray. Can you send them over to me then, so I can get them added? I'll PM you both my E-mail and snail-mail address here in a minute, and you can send them whichever way you see fit.

Aaron

John,

These are mostly the photos already posted but they will be 4,000 DPI original scans and not resized for the net.

Aaron,

I got your PM. you should get something soon.

Ray

Aaron, PM sent!

Tim

If possible could you ask if DAPs are cleared for APKWS yet?

Also the dimensions of the LASS wings?

Apologies if these are too specific for them to answer, but I can't think of anything else I want answered at the moment.

Floyd was able to join me at the last minute so we were able to double up on all the aircraft. The 160th was unbelievably accommodating to us and had dedicated aircraft just for us to photograph. When we spotted something interesting, they let us take pictures of it (within reason of course). Between the two of us, we probably took over a thousand pictures today (I went through 3 batteries and a couple SD cards and Floyd went through all of his batteries as well). Once we were finished, we turned in our SD cards so the unit S-2 can go through each photo to make sure we didn't photograph anything sensitive. Once the redaction process is complete, they will mail me the SD cards back.

I sent PMs to the individuals who had questions for the unit except for 11bee. John, for some reason my PM to you wouldn't go through. Could you message me and I will try replying back to it.

Floyd was able to join me at the last minute so we were able to double up on all the aircraft. The 160th was unbelievably accommodating to us and had dedicated aircraft just for us to photograph. When we spotted something interesting, they let us take pictures of it (within reason of course). Between the two of us, we probably took over a thousand pictures today (I went through 3 batteries and a couple SD cards and Floyd went through all of his batteries as well). Once we were finished, we turned in our SD cards so the unit S-2 can go through each photo to make sure we didn't photograph anything sensitive. Once the redaction process is complete, they will mail me the SD cards back.

I sent PMs to the individuals who had questions for the unit except for 11bee. John, for some reason my PM to you wouldn't go through. Could you message me and I will try replying back to it.

Yeah, I heard you guys had a great time. Kept getting text messages throughout the day from Floyd about how awesome it was, and then the phone calls while I was trying to get some sleep before work :cop: (just pickin on ya Floyd, it was all good) B) . Wish I could of been there with you, as it sounds like it was fun. Looking forward to seeing those pictures.

Dave

Edited by theranddav
  • 1 month later...

I received the photos back from the 160th today. After the redaction process, we have 1,597 photos left. In addition, we have a FOIA request with the unit for historical photos to cover the history of the unit from it's inception to the present. Hopefully this will turn up with a bunch of never before seen photos of the unit in action.

Now we can begin the long process of editing all these photos and selecting the best ones to include in the publication. This will take some time so please be patient.

I received the photos back from the 160th today. After the redaction process, we have 1,597 photos left. In addition, we have a FOIA request with the unit for historical photos to cover the history of the unit from it's inception to the present. Hopefully this will turn up with a bunch of never before seen photos of the unit in action.

Now we can begin the long process of editing all these photos and selecting the best ones to include in the publication. This will take some time so please be patient.

Not a huge fan of the current stuff because it's pretty much been documented in the open press but very much interested in the older pics, especially from back when the 160th was still in the black world. Good luck with the project.

Great news Aaron! Just curious, How many photos were redacted?

IIRC, tomorrow is Aaron's other 160th opportunity for pics!

Tim

My opportunity (a public air show) was cancelled, and at this time, I have no hope of re-scheduling, so we are probably going to have to go with what we have. I also have a request into the 4th for historical information about the unit, so we will see what turns up. Alpha Company carries the name-sake "Guns-A-Go-Go", so they tie into the first ACH-47A's from Vietnam. Bravo Company is known as "Evil Empire", which was the name of Turbine 33, the MH-47E lost during Operation Red Wings. Hopefully this will bear fruit. If we go with book-form, it is my hope to have a chapter dedicated to the history and exploits of each Battalion of the 160th.

Aaron R.

• 1 month later...