the the history of the plane reveals 2 things, the sharks mouth was there before the extra sqn markings were applied, ie originally it had a black nose(as seen in the photo) but later in its life, its nose was painted blue and the checked markings on the fuselage were applied

so that makes me think the mouth wasnt the same colour as the nose, as it would have been applied previously at a different station

please bear with me this is going to be a slow build

in this photo the checkers have been applied and reports for the aircrew at the time and shortly after state theses were white and blue, i have no reason to doubt these however looking at the photo i think its a darker blue than airfix have it

UK2%20MP197%20Hawker%20Typhoon%20MikeBuntPhoto.jpg

UK2%20MP197%20Hawker%20Typhoon%20MikeBuntPhoto1.jpg

i think i can rule out camo underneath as the colours dont match whats on the airframe, so that leaves me with 3 possibilities i think, as Dave suggests they would have used what was available, so..... RED, BLUE or BLACK, now the 'lip' around the edges is widely agreed as black (and i think i read somewhere last night) that this was black according to a aircrew member. looking at the pictures i think the colour may be the same? what do you guys think?

moving on slightly these arrived

temporary_76.jpg

reading various sources on the net, there appears to be different opinions about the colours of the typhoon however i plan to use the colours suggested by R C Jones and R L Ward in 'Camouflage & Markings - Hawker Tornado, Typhoon and Tempest - RAF Northern Europe 1936-45'

these are listed as:

Wheel Wells, and Wheel Hubs - Aluminium / bare metal

gun bays, were actually lined with leather to reduce vibration so were a brown colour

Radiator plates, grills and intakes - depending on which factory made the aircraft these were either Aluminium or MSG (medium sea grey)

Cockpits until mid 1942 these were interior green (including the seat) these were subsequently changed to matt black, however odd aircraft were painted golss black and those who were repaired may have had a mixture of the 2 ie green cockpit and black seat or vise versa. however by mid 43 most had been rendered matt black

camo - this used standard temperate camo of 'dark green' (that was the official designation) / ocean grey upper surfaces and MSG lower surfaces

anyway

first up ive sprayed the interior frame work flat aluminum as surgested in my refs

DSCF3486.jpg

the next step i was planning to use the hairspray technique to add black and weather it, unfortunatley Ruth hasnt got any hairspray i can liberate (and i dont have much call for iit) so instead im going to try Klear, the highlighted areas are Kleared ready for a Nato Black coat

93d9e404-5225-4dfc-925c-f01ad716faa8.jpg

so while that was drying is glued and clamped the first wing spar, the tollerances on this kit are tiny so make sure you clean each bit up as there are some very fine bits of flash

DSCF3488.jpg

ok the Klear worked, when the NATO Black was dry i rubbed the black with rough piece of sand paper very lightly and got some nice results, the technique needs work but has potential

DSCF3491.jpg

well not much done as ive been boarding out the loft and adding shelves to SWMBO's craft cupboard

anyway.....

seat is done with the addition of some eduard belts, the shoulder harness will attach to the armour plating and be added separate

DSCF3499.jpg

DSCF3505.jpg

ok 2 things too know about this kit, the tolerances between parts are 0%!!! and you really must trim and test fit every part, the second thing to know is that you must invest in a good set of tweezers and a third arm

ok, im still assembling the cockpit, and there's plenty more to go, to my eyes are aching for the concentration so thats it for now

DSCF3510.jpg

DSCF3509.jpg

DSCF3508.jpg

DSCF3506.jpg

not much today as i start nights tonight, but ive made a start in the instrument panel

I would say that you have accomplished quite a bit from what I can see. At 1/24 you have LOADS of detail. Just the structure of the cockpit and wing spars has my head spinning so, yeah..... I think you have made lots of progress! By the way, I do shift work too and it really does take a toll on ones model time!

-Mark

Mark,

Nicely done on such a detailed large scale model. I've read on a few builds of this kit that as you've said, there is zero tolerance to parts fit. Every drop of paint needs to be removed before gluing up joints or there will be a price to be paid when those parts are joined as a sub assembly.

Will be following your build with great interest.

Joel

thanks Joel

Update 5

well the cockpit is now done, and its time to move on to the 2nd mini kit, the engine

DSCF3512.jpg

DSCF3513.jpg

DSCF3514.jpg

i think the tub has turned out ok, my plans for this build are changing a little as time goes on. im seriously considering leaving the cowl on as im thinking of making this, a quick re-fuel / re-arm diorama like this

15025192294_b6aa7b498d_b.jpg

Mark,

The completed cockpit is just amazing. I've seen it a few times before, but I never tire of the complexity of detail that 1/24 scale offers. Nice idea for a diorama, but covering too much of that engine compartment may be not the best way to go. Maybe leave another panel or two off.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Well progress has been good but in-reality it doesnt look like ive done much, however ive added 40+ parts, that you will never ever see

i do have concerns about the width of the engine, some of the parts are very tight and dont fit well making me think the engine is too wide, however i wont be able to tell properly until its all built and the sides of the body are added

ok things get complex and tricky, this pipe (on both sides) needed to be slitted through a hole then twisted to fit on the frame, this 1 pipe alone took me 2hrs this morning to do

8741c9c6-33a1-4168-a6ee-0a3906a7ad10.jpg

a bit of engine detail

DSCF3538.jpg

heres where i am

DSCF3539.jpg

right work has begun on the gun bays, now my research surgests that these were linned with Leather to reduce vibrations, Airfix would have you paint them brown, which makes me think they agree. anyway to add a bit of texture is lined these with kitchen roll, painted leather, i have a lot more to do including weathering the leather and gun rack

temporary_112.jpg

Mark,

Your precision approach to one detailed part after another, certainly makes for a smooth assembly. I've heard that the parts fit so precisely, that any paint on matting surfaces will cause issues down the road. The gun bay lining certainly looks like leather. Nicely done.

Joel

well both gun bays are done and ready next up is the fuel tanks, now im not going to paint them in aluminium as per the instructions as i believe they would be a red primer colour the same as hurricanes, anyway if im wrong you wont see them anyway

DSCF3544.jpg

DSCF3545.jpg